Christmas Dinner

Old Oct 17th 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christmas Dinner

Where did you go in the last years for Christmas in Dubai? How much is it per person at a nice hotel?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

stayed at home (here in Dubai I mean) for the last 6 years, before that we have had turkeys from the country club (4 years but now closed down), we have had turkeys from the old Hilton (now closed down), this is our first year at at hotel in a long time
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hawkhead
It's never actually been the "British Club". That's what the taxi drivers know it as but it's only ever been called the Club.

I love the Shangri La but I think it would be an expensive Xmas day!
What restaurant would you recommend there for xmas dinner hawkhead. We live in Khalifa A and don't really want to drive and will have to taxi so the nearer the better for us.

I was under the impression that it had used to be called the british club but 'british' was dropped to tempt other nationalities to join. The club is a niceish place but if I want to spend time with a load of brit expats I will go to the costa brava and eat egg and chips for xmas dinner (sorry club members, I do have a lot of lovely friends who go there, or did anyway).

Last edited by cherrypie1; Oct 17th 2008 at 7:09 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

well let's hope that the Shangri La is serving Christmas Dinner for Emiratis, then you will get a nice mix of people attending
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:14 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps i should start an Abu Dhabi Xmas Dinner thread for people that are trapped here on their own for xmas....
Thats if i am still here by then ...of course!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:45 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherrypie1
What restaurant would you recommend there for xmas dinner hawkhead. We live in Khalifa A and don't really want to drive and will have to taxi so the nearer the better for us.

I was under the impression that it had used to be called the british club but 'british' was dropped to tempt other nationalities to join. The club is a niceish place but if I want to spend time with a load of brit expats I will go to the costa brava and eat egg and chips for xmas dinner (sorry club members, I do have a lot of lovely friends who go there, or did anyway).
same here, it was called the british club...
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

We've been to all that are currently open - the buffet (can't remember the name), Hoi An (Vietnamese), French (Bordeaux) and the Chinese (can't remember the name). All were excellent but none of them cheap. Worth every penny though for a special occasion. If I were you I'd call them and see what they're offering for Xmas Day.

The Club has been commonly known as the British Club for years but was never officially called that. It has always been open to other nationalities as well.

Not sure what some of you are doing on this forum though as you seem to have it in for British expats
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:36 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
We've been to all that are currently open - the buffet (can't remember the name), Hoi An (Vietnamese), French (Bordeaux) and the Chinese (can't remember the name). All were excellent but none of them cheap. Worth every penny though for a special occasion. If I were you I'd call them and see what they're offering for Xmas Day.

The Club has been commonly known as the British Club for years but was never officially called that. It has always been open to other nationalities as well.

Not sure what some of you are doing on this forum though as you seem to have it in for British expats
just the out of touch 'old school' head up there own arse expats...
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

no it was called the british club, and then because they started to take in a lot more of 'other' nationalities, they had no choice but to change it to the plain old club

cherrypie what about the AD Golf Club they do a nice spread and not too far from you I think.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

also the ad golf club do a take out service, they will package it all for you and you just go and collect it 'hot' i believe, teej on the other side knows more about it than me.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
same here, it was called the british club...
Correct: it was called the British Club until (1986?) when the US bombed Libya. As Maggie had allowed bombers to take-off from UK, there was general bad-feeling here towards all things British. The club was quietly told to drop the national title.
After the (1991?) liberation of Kuwait the club was informed that it could reinstate the title if it wished - but it has never done so.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherrypie1
annacarna, thanks, Hilton sounds good, any particular restaurant there?

Shiva, I have cooked xmas dinner every year for the last 12 years or so, just thought I needed a break. I always seem to be in the kitchen, harrassed and getting pissed rather than watching the kids enjoying themselves on christmas morning. This is our first 'hot' christmas so thought I would take a break and get pissed while watching the kids enjoying themselves for a change

Does anyone have an opinion on shangri-la or al raha beach resort?
The ballroom, for the jazz band, but the restaurant on the 1st floor (Terrazzo) think the name is also does xmas dinner with santa and band also.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:17 pm
banned

Originally Posted by Alen1
Correct: it was called the British Club until (1986?) when the US bombed Libya. As Maggie had allowed bombers to take-off from UK, there was general bad-feeling here towards all things British. The club was quietly told to drop the national title.
After the (1991?) liberation of Kuwait the club was informed that it could reinstate the title if it wished - but it has never done so.
why thank you,

Hawkhead, your comments? you have only been here since '99 so it all happened well before your time, so you are forgiven!

bless
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

cmhannan is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a concept. All those in Abu dhabi...let's have a party at my house. Everyone brings a dish and a bottle of wine and I'll do the Turkey. My husband has to work that day so dinner at 6pm...any takers? PM me.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:47 pm
banned

Originally Posted by cmhannan
Here's a concept. All those in Abu dhabi...let's have a party at my house. Everyone brings a dish and a bottle of wine and I'll do the Turkey. My husband has to work that day so dinner at 6pm...any takers? PM me.
how big is your house?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.