Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Certificate attesting - what does it mean?

Certificate attesting - what does it mean?

Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice
Default Certificate attesting - what does it mean?

Hi all
This is probably a stupid question, but what does it mean to have your certificates attested? I have read the posts and understood the process, ie we have to take our certificates (marriage and education) to a solicitor for attesting, but how do they do that? Do they actually call / contact the university and marriage celebrant to make sure it is a legitimate copy? Or do they just authorise the copies you provide them? Does the solicitor generally do it in a day, or keep it longer? Do you need to provide other info, like university transcript of results, or just the certificates?
We have both just signed contracts for ************* and just keen to understand this process exactly so we can lock in our timing etc.
Any help, much appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:43 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Certificate attesting - what does it mean?

Please excuse my hijacking but I'd like to add a related question of my own.
Why get your degrees attested? What bearing does this have on your visa status? I am coming to work with (not for) the UAE Land Forces and I do not have any degrees. Does this affect my status in any way or is that just not applicable in my case?

Not much need for degreed artillerymen
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:05 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrskpd
Hi all
This is probably a stupid question, but what does it mean to have your certificates attested? I have read the posts and understood the process, ie we have to take our certificates (marriage and education) to a solicitor for attesting, but how do they do that? Do they actually call / contact the university and marriage celebrant to make sure it is a legitimate copy? Or do they just authorise the copies you provide them? Does the solicitor generally do it in a day, or keep it longer? Do you need to provide other info, like university transcript of results, or just the certificates?
We have both just signed contracts for ************* and just keen to understand this process exactly so we can lock in our timing etc.
Any help, much appreciated!
Thanks!
See the following thread and do a search for others in the forum:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564146
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:59 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs KPD,

You asked why. In the UAE and Gulf you need to have a degree to get in to the country - the reason for that is job competition with locals. There are exempt employments such as drivers , maids and so on - including Artillerymen. Attestation is universal whether you come from Bangladesh or Britain. It is the verification of the document. In UK the concept of a fake degree is virtually unheard of. In other paces it is the norm. This is what's going on.

Believe it or not there is a list of signatures held by the FCO for attesting - solicitors, doctors, university registrars, registrars of birth, marriage and (well I've nearly got the full set).

Thats it. If the document does not have a signature - for example a driving license then you need to get it signed by a lawyer - in theory saying that he has checke it is real but in practice a sig will do for the FCO - provided they can recognise the lawyers signature!!

Interestingly you need a degree to drive in Kuwait but this is just a way of reducing traffic like in Singapore they use even and odd numbers on alt days. Before you ask - yes of course there are exemptions.

Thats all. In the middle east you (as a couple) should be married and with children and stuff like that they want to do the correct moral thing.

It is a pain in the arse - done in MK now and think about an early start on a monday morning!! The website is very clear.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Mrs KPD,

You asked why. In the UAE and Gulf you need to have a degree to get in to the country - the reason for that is job competition with locals. There are exempt employments such as drivers , maids and so on - including Artillerymen. Attestation is universal whether you come from Bangladesh or Britain. It is the verification of the document. In UK the concept of a fake degree is virtually unheard of. In other paces it is the norm. This is what's going on.

Believe it or not there is a list of signatures held by the FCO for attesting - solicitors, doctors, university registrars, registrars of birth, marriage and (well I've nearly got the full set).

Thats it. If the document does not have a signature - for example a driving license then you need to get it signed by a lawyer - in theory saying that he has checke it is real but in practice a sig will do for the FCO - provided they can recognise the lawyers signature!!

Interestingly you need a degree to drive in Kuwait but this is just a way of reducing traffic like in Singapore they use even and odd numbers on alt days. Before you ask - yes of course there are exemptions.

Thats all. In the middle east you (as a couple) should be married and with children and stuff like that they want to do the correct moral thing.

It is a pain in the arse - done in MK now and think about an early start on a monday morning!! The website is very clear.
more to the point, you get a *copy* attested, so verified that the copy is a true copy of the original, by a notary or solicitor... they ask for the same kind of thing all over Europe too, so don't be put off.

Whatever you do, don't hand over your original certificates/ degrees/ qualifications! My husband's HR kept on asking for the "originals", but in fact meant the "attested copies"

Also, bear in mind that whatever your UAE HR say, getting a colour copy of your passport is illegal... black and white is ok though, even though they may hmm and ahh about it.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

Thanks for the help all.
That's what I thought, ie that attesting is just confirming that the copy is a real copy. I kind of wonder what the point is if they don't actually contact the university to ensure that the copy they are certifiying is of an actual degree rather than a fake degree, given there are so many out there these days!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

Thanks for the help all.
That's what I thought, ie that attesting is just confirming that the copy is a real copy. I kind of wonder what the point is if they don't actually contact the university to ensure that the copy they are certifiying is of an actual degree rather than a fake degree, given there are so many out there these days!
the point is it keeps a burocrat happy and occupied! lol
Old Sep 30th 2008, 10:51 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help all.
Because they check the signature!! There really is a difference between a certified copy of a document and an attested document. The latter confirms that the document was issued, the former certifies that the copier saw the original document being copied. The difference being that he did not confirm the original was a valid document.

They don't take it too seriously in Europe because the concept of faking qualifications is relatively rare but within the UAE and Gulf everyone has to attest irrespective of nationality.

It is not done just to keep a bureaucrat happy - next time you visit a doctor who is from abroad then you should hope the attestation process has been effective.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Certificate attesting - what does it mean?

hi...thanks for all the help so far
we took our certificates today to get attested to a public notary (this is based in Australia). He signed and stamped and sealed the back of each of the copies. However, other notaries had told us that we need a 'notarial certificate' that is attached to the documents. When we asked our notary about this, he had no idea what it meant!
Before I go and queue up at the foreign office I would love to know if anyone knows about this.....is the stamp, signature and seal on the back sufficient? Or must we have an actual notarial certificate to go with the documents?
This is a frustrating process, any help appreciated!!
Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

lindsayg is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have to get *each copy* attested to, then how many copies is it useful to get?

I'm assuming a Solicitor here would charge me for his time, and I'd have to get my first degree, masters degree and birth certificate signed.

Also - what's that about colour or B&W copies of your passport???

Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindsayg
If you have to get *each copy* attested to, then how many copies is it useful to get?

I'm assuming a Solicitor here would charge me for his time, and I'd have to get my first degree, masters degree and birth certificate signed.

Also - what's that about colour or B&W copies of your passport???

lindsay, worry about getting the job first...the rest can follow...

MM, xx
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:42 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Still a lot of Researchers in Tv,production, etc then?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

lindsayg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eva
Still a lot of Researchers in Tv,production, etc then?
Over here the entire industry is flooded by brand new graduates who'll work for tuppence ha'penny a week. And decent programming is increasingly being replaced by horrendous celeb-based reality TV. The redundancies are unbelievable. And budgets are so small they're being studied by CERN.

In short, if you want to work a 70 hour week finding the newly bereaved to take part in the next series of 'Celebrity Sick-on-a-Widow', get paid about £150 pw for it and take all the blame when the production company gets sued... then it's perfect.

On the other hand, if you want to work on something half decent that pays a living wage and earns you a bit of self-respect - you're f*!£*d.

Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Over here the entire industry is flooded by brand new graduates who'll work for tuppence ha'penny a week. And decent programming is increasingly being replaced by horrendous celeb-based reality TV. The redundancies are unbelievable. And budgets are so small they're being studied by CERN.

In short, if you want to work a 70 hour week finding the newly bereaved to take part in the next series of 'Celebrity Sick-on-a-Widow', get paid about £150 pw for it and take all the blame when the production company gets sued... then it's perfect.

On the other hand, if you want to work on something half decent that pays a living wage and earns you a bit of self-respect - you're f*!£*d.

Oh! Ok thanks for that then.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:15 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

And budgets are so small they're being studied by CERN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.