Reload this Page >

Child born outside UK citizenship status

Child born outside UK citizenship status

Old Oct 23rd 2016, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

tala7726 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child born outside UK citizenship status

Hey,

I would appreciate some help here. I am british citizen (acquired it by naturalization i.e. work permit, indefinite leave etc.) and now working in UAE. I am expecting my second baby and I wanted to clarify if the baby born in UAE.... will the baby automatically get british citizenship or not ?

I was born outside to UK to non british parents.

Highly appreciate help here....

Regards,
Tala
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 5:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child born outside UK citizenship status

British citizenship acquired by naturalization is "otherwise than by descent" therefore any child of yours born overseas will be "British by descent".
Old Oct 24th 2016, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

By descent. It also means the child will not be able to automatically pass along the citizenship to his/her own children if they are born outside the UK.

And you may want to get the passport for the baby as soon as it's born. Citizenship rules may change drastically in the next few years along with Brexit. Immigration reform is going to dominate British politics for the next decade or so. Don't take this personally but you're a perfect example: you came to the UK, got the passport, and what did you do? Leave. Now you're having a family overseas and you're asking questions about getting your offshore baby UK passports. You may very well be planning to return permanently to the UK in a few years, but as you know there's quite a few dual "British" nationalities floating around Dubai or the GCC or elsewhere who stayed in the UK just long enough for the passport and left and have no real plans to return to the UK. That's going to come to an end.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Oct 24th 2016 at 4:40 am.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
Ugh don't get me ranting on these type of passports. It's a joke.

Your kid isn't British. So why not give him/her your 1st passport nationality, im guessing its not "good" enough.
was waiting for IGGLY's 2 cent worth
why don't you take the mrs back to the UK to have the baby there....will save all this hassle.
I know enough couples who do that and I say good on them
being 'british' is so over rated anyway
Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tala7726
Hey,

I would appreciate some help here. I am british citizen (acquired it by naturalization i.e. work permit, indefinite leave etc.) and now working in UAE. I am expecting my second baby and I wanted to clarify if the baby born in UAE.... will the baby automatically get british citizenship or not ?

I was born outside to UK to non british parents.

Highly appreciate help here....

Regards,
Tala
Your child will automatically be a British citizen. You need only to apply for his or her British passport. Although optional I would also recommend consular birth registration.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
British citizenship acquired by naturalization is "otherwise than by descent" therefore any child of yours born overseas will be "British by descent".
Indeed. This will mean that your first born's children will automatically be British citizens regardless of where they are born whereas your second born's children will only automatically be British citizens if born in the UK if relying solely on your second born's British citizenship.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
By descent. It also means the child will not be able to automatically pass along the citizenship to his/her own children if they are born outside the UK.

And you may want to get the passport for the baby as soon as it's born. Citizenship rules may change drastically in the next few years along with Brexit. Immigration reform is going to dominate British politics for the next decade or so. Don't take this personally but you're a perfect example: you came to the UK, got the passport, and what did you do? Leave. Now you're having a family overseas and you're asking questions about getting your offshore baby UK passports. You may very well be planning to return permanently to the UK in a few years, but as you know there's quite a few dual "British" nationalities floating around Dubai or the GCC or elsewhere who stayed in the UK just long enough for the passport and left and have no real plans to return to the UK. That's going to come to an end.
Oh dear. Excellent first paragraph followed by nonsense. Briefly, acquiring a passport does not confer citizenship; citizenship is required in order to obtain the passport. There is absolutely no evidence that British nationality law will change drastically in the foreseeable future. The OP is absolutely not going to lose his or her British citizenship because of Brexit.

Ugh don't get me ranting on these type of passports. It's a joke.

Your kid isn't British. So why not give him/her your 1st passport nationality, im guessing its not "good" enough.
Probably because the OP likely had to give up their original citizenship in order to become British which demonstrates a far greater commitment to the UK than receiving it as an accident of birth.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 3:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Bit harsh there iggle, considering that so many of your own countrymen are now considering the British passport inferior and inundating the Irish passport office with applications.
Should we take the same view?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. An extra few thousand

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Bit harsh there iggle, considering that so many of your own countrymen are now considering the British passport inferior and inundating the Irish passport office with applications.
Should we take the same view?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Calm down lady.

I said nothing about the OP losing the passport.

Merely pointed out that immigration reform seems likely and this includes changes in how passports are granted and who's eligible for a passport based on heritage.

As of today, the OP's baby is entitled to a passport regardless of where he or she is born. That won't change as rule changes are not likely to be retroactive. But the dates of when the baby obtained the passport could have implications for subsequent generations down the road following whatever path immigration reform takes. That's why I said get it pronto.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your child will automatically be a British citizen. You need only to apply for his or her British passport. Although optional I would also recommend consular birth registration.

Indeed. This will mean that your first born's children will automatically be British citizens regardless of where they are born whereas your second born's children will only automatically be British citizens if born in the UK if relying solely on your second born's British citizenship.

Oh dear. Excellent first paragraph followed by nonsense. Briefly, acquiring a passport does not confer citizenship; citizenship is required in order to obtain the passport. There is absolutely no evidence that British nationality law will change drastically in the foreseeable future. The OP is absolutely not going to lose his or her British citizenship because of Brexit.

Probably because the OP likely had to give up their original citizenship in order to become British which demonstrates a far greater commitment to the UK than receiving it as an accident of birth.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 7:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. An extra few thousand
It's the hypocrisy of it rather then the actual numbers, I am assuming that people who voted to leave will make up a portion of these applications. Though I believe the passport office are reporting close to 100% increase from the UK, and this is even before the terms of Brexit are agreed.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah. From something like 3,500 to 7,000.

These would be people with Irish parents or grandparents, or NI residency. It's only hypocritical if a Leaver applied for Irish passports to retain access to the EU. Do we know this is the case? So we can't invoke hypocrisy yet, can we

It's the hypocrisy of it rather then the actual numbers, I am assuming that people who voted to leave will make up a portion of these applications. Though I believe the passport office are reporting close to 100% increase from the UK, and this is even before the terms of Brexit are agreed.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 7:53 am
Knee deep and rising

Yeah. From something like 3,500 to 7,000.

These would be people with Irish parents or grandparents, or NI residency. It's only hypocritical if a Leaver applied for Irish passports to retain access to the EU. Do we know this is the case? So we can't invoke hypocrisy yet, can we
Yes true, I can't assume. The situation remains that they are looking to obtain what they believe to be a better passport for convenience. Similar to what the OP was accused of doing.
I can't imagine they will be shortly emigrating to Ireland.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 8:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down lady.

I said nothing about the OP losing the passport.

Merely pointed out that immigration reform seems likely and this includes changes in how passports are granted and who's eligible for a passport based on heritage.

As of today, the OP's baby is entitled to a passport regardless of where he or she is born. That won't change as rule changes are not likely to be retroactive. But the dates of when the baby obtained the passport could have implications for subsequent generations down the road following whatever path immigration reform takes. That's why I said get it pronto.
None of which is remotely true
Old Oct 25th 2016, 9:46 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Not harsh at all. It's blunty honest. The OP was born in country a) country a) is a shite hole and by hook or by crook (we don't know if he entered UK legally) he has a UK passport, but doesn't live in UK (Shows his true reason of getting the UK passport). Now he wants his next of kin to get British passports.

He is not British, nor is his next of kin.
These immigrants, not coming over here, not using our services, not taking our jobs, not putting pressure on our public services, etc. etc.

The sooner we get a UKIP government, the sooner all these people who aren't British but have UK passports will be forced onto boats... back to the UK. That'll teach them. How dare they leave. etc.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 10:10 am
Knee deep and rising

If your happy with your country being used and abused by desi, feel free. I am not happy about it, its not even a right wing approach.
Is not most of the economic growth of the UK due to a constant flow of immigrants?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it was Millhouse who observed that while the overall GDP of the UK went up, the GDP per capita hasn't. In other words (if I read it correctly) immigration didn't really add to the prosperity of the average Brit. The average Brit hasn't become more productive. Which is really the critical issue for otherwise the primary benefit of immigration is more jobs - for immigrants.

Which does support my growth by Costa theory. Costa opens up a coffee shop in London and staffs it with immigrants from Eastern Europe. These immigrants use their salary to, among other things, buy coffee at Costa. So Costa's sales go up, and they use that as a justification to open more coffee shops, which are in turn staffed by more immigrants from Eastern Europe, and the cycle goes on. But it's not necessarily a gain for the existing population at point zero.

Is not most of the economic growth of the UK due to a constant flow of immigrants?

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Oct 25th 2016 at 11:08 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.