Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

car bodywork jobs in uae

car bodywork jobs in uae

Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car bodywork jobs in uae

Originally Posted by carcajou
OK, wow. Not saying this to have a dig at you but -

1. UAE is not similar to the UK in any way, shape, or form. Saying it's the most British of the GCC countries is like ordering steak instead of hamburger or mutton, because you reason that of the three, steak is closer to a garden salad. Throw this out as a consideration for moving to the UAE.

2. Nobody is allowed to "settle" in the UAE. There is no such thing as permanent residency, and no path to citizenship. Living there is a continuous series of work visas that can be stopped at any moment and for, literally, any reason, including things that would be illegal and grounds for a lawsuit in the UK. When your employer ends your contract, you usually have 30 days to get out of the country. But, beyond that, very few Westerners last more than a few years there. Your thinking should be in 3-5 year cycles, and then re-assessing, not as a "forever" move or even a decade-long move. Throw in the economic downturn and things are really, really tough in a lot of fields.

3. This also means you can't move to the UAE first, and then find a job. You have to be sponsored by a company first. You won't be able to rent an apartment without a work visa (or do just about anything else). UAE employers are generally not amenable to "pop-ins" by job aspirants.

4. I think it's exceedingly unlikely you would find employment in the UAE on a CELTA with no experience, which is why I said in the other post that if you choose to go down that path, you probably would need to work a few years in the Far East or Southeast Asia first, and a comparatively low salary. You will also restrict your options if you focus only on the UAE. On a CELTA pathway you are looking at a multi-year strategy for getting into the UAE, but that's better than no chance at all I suppose.

5. Another angle to look at would be security contractors who sometimes need mechanics - they can hire Westerners on Western salaries for certain projects, because they can have specific contracts with foreign governments. But, again, very little shot at this if you are going to restrict yourself to only the UAE.

I would highly recommend you find someone in your town or neighbourhood who has worked in the UAE and can talk to you about what things are like in the Middle East.

Good luck.
I agree with most of your post, however visa on arrival means he could come without a job, however without a job he could not rent a place alone or open a bank account etc I know of multiple people who came/come here without a job ( myself included all those years ago) and managed to find one and also find places to stay. He would need a large cash reserve to set himself up. If you lose your job you do not have 30 days to leave. I have candidates who lost their jobs anything from 2-16 weeks ago and are still here looking for work Some companies are happy with pop ins. Many people i have worked with found their roles that way. Saying that, it helps if you work in a field which is appealing to companies. I work in recruitment and the vast majority of my candidates come here for 3 months to look for work however as i stated earlier it all depends upon what line of work they are in
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

UKcit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by reddiva
I agree with most of your post, however visa on arrival means he could come without a job, however without a job he could not rent a place alone or open a bank account etc I know of multiple people who came/come here without a job ( myself included all those years ago) and managed to find one and also find places to stay. He would need a large cash reserve to set himself up. If you lose your job you do not have 30 days to leave. I have candidates who lost their jobs anything from 2-16 weeks ago and are still here looking for work Some companies are happy with pop ins. Many people i have worked with found their roles that way. Saying that, it helps if you work in a field which is appealing to companies. I work in recruitment and the vast majority of my candidates come here for 3 months to look for work however as i stated earlier it all depends upon what line of work they are in
Hey promising feedback, in regards to fields appealing to companies what would you recommend? Also I have been looking in to the recruitment field and it seems reasonable to get in to in the UK.. could you advise considering you are in the recruitment field yourself? Many thanks!
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Well... technically yes, but they are not hard and I think that most places in Dubai will put you through the basic one - or you can do that in the UK. Ultimately it’s a sales job.

1500quid a month won’t cut it here. You’ll need 10k aed/month to survive and 15k/month to thrive. A low grade teacher gets 10k + housing.

My partner is also coming with me so we were both looking at 1500 each to start with. So potentially financial advisor could be a possibility especially if looked in to beforehand in the UK then? Do these online courses in the UK have any value in the UAE by the way? Thanks!
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKcit
My partner is also coming with me so we were both looking at 1500 each to start with. So potentially financial advisor could be a possibility especially if looked in to beforehand in the UK then? Do these online courses in the UK have any value in the UAE by the way? Thanks!
The course I did wasn't online but that was 20 years ago... chartered insurance institute level 3 (level 2 is all you need for here). A qualification will put you ahead of at least half of these scum bags.

What does she do? You're not married I guess so you both need a job each.

As for people having jobs before they come that's BS. Loads come for 3 months to see what they can find and go home poorer or stay at the end of it.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

OK, wow. Not saying this to have a dig at you but -

1. UAE is not similar to the UK in any way, shape, or form. Saying it's the most British of the GCC countries is like ordering steak instead of hamburger or mutton, because you reason that of the three, steak is closer to a garden salad. Throw this out as a consideration for moving to the UAE.

2. Nobody is allowed to "settle" in the UAE. There is no such thing as permanent residency, and no path to citizenship. Living there is a continuous series of work visas that can be stopped at any moment and for, literally, any reason, including things that would be illegal and grounds for a lawsuit in the UK. When your employer ends your contract, you usually have 30 days to get out of the country. But, beyond that, very few Westerners last more than a few years there. Your thinking should be in 3-5 year cycles, and then re-assessing, not as a "forever" move or even a decade-long move. Throw in the economic downturn and things are really, really tough in a lot of fields.

3. This also means you can't move to the UAE first, and then find a job. You have to be sponsored by a company first. You won't be able to rent an apartment without a work visa (or do just about anything else). UAE employers are generally not amenable to "pop-ins" by job aspirants.

4. I think it's exceedingly unlikely you would find employment in the UAE on a CELTA with no experience, which is why I said in the other post that if you choose to go down that path, you probably would need to work a few years in the Far East or Southeast Asia first, and a comparatively low salary. You will also restrict your options if you focus only on the UAE. On a CELTA pathway you are looking at a multi-year strategy for getting into the UAE, but that's better than no chance at all I suppose.

5. Another angle to look at would be security contractors who sometimes need mechanics - they can hire Westerners on Western salaries for certain projects, because they can have specific contracts with foreign governments. But, again, very little shot at this if you are going to restrict yourself to only the UAE.

I would highly recommend you find someone in your town or neighbourhood who has worked in the UAE and can talk to you about what things are like in the Middle East.

Good luck.
What I meant by saying the UAE is most like the UK is that out of all the GCC countries it is the most western and seemingly the most promising one to establish a life there. It wasnt said on a literally term, just in the sense that it is a go to for many westerners as I am aware there is quite a large western community there in many locations.

I am aware that they do not give citizenship or permanent stays hence the other plans I am putting in place to secure some what of a life there.

But many thanks I will take your feedback in to consideration
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The course I did wasn't online but that was 20 years ago... chartered insurance institute level 3 (level 2 is all you need for here). A qualification will put you ahead of at least half of these scum bags.

What does she do? You're not married I guess so you both need a job each.

As for people having jobs before they come that's BS. Loads come for 3 months to see what they can find and go home poorer or stay at the end of it.

Ok thats good to know!

Shes got a background in hospitality and sales. We're not married by law but out of interest, does the UAE class a nikah the same as being married or do you still have to be legally married as well?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thats good to know!

Shes got a background in hospitality and sales. We're not married by law but out of interest, does the UAE class a nikah the same as being married or do you still have to be legally married as well?
are you desi? can you speak urdu?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The two most recent posts, I did not see until after my post.

If OP speaks Urdu (or Arabic) that will make a significant difference and changes a lot of the advice given, I think.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 26th 2018 at 1:20 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The two most recent posts, I did not see until after my post.

If OP speaks Urdu (or Arabic) that will make a significant difference and changes a lot of the advice given, I think.
Indeed. Maybe a manager of a garage/ floor man could be an option. That's probably an 8-10 AED month job.... maybe.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and it also might be a lot easier to find something in the 5-6k AED range that comes with accommodation, to at least stabilise them and buy time while they look for something more suitable.

OP, can you also advise on if you are a dual national?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, and it also might be a lot easier to find something in the 5-6k AED range that comes with accommodation, to at least stabilise them and buy time while they look for something more suitable.

OP, can you also advise on if you are a dual national?
the accommodation at that range would be savage. cockroaches in the cereals.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Yes we both speak urdu. She also does sign language and both in the process of learning arabic too. Not dual nationals no, just british
Old Apr 29th 2018, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Hey promising feedback, in regards to fields appealing to companies what would you recommend? Also I have been looking in to the recruitment field and it seems reasonable to get in to in the UK.. could you advise considering you are in the recruitment field yourself? Many thanks!
Unless you have an extensive client base and MENA recruitment experience here i would not think of going into recruitment. For someone starting out, it is very tough and you are competing against hundreds of people with years of experience. Not many cut it and end up bouncing around at different firms
( Job hopping is a big no no to clients here) My clients are very choosy when it comes to candidates, i work across the tech field, mostly oil and gas however extensive experience is required and there are so many people worldwide that are unemployed that clients have a big pool to fish from. Gone are the days when you could rock up here, meet someone in a bar and find a job. Unless you have the relevant experience ( Finance, accounting, HR, sales, marketing, engineering roles are busy) it is hard to get your foot in the door via an agency. Clients pay our bills so they want the best.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes we both speak urdu. She also does sign language and both in the process of learning arabic too. Not dual nationals no, just british
If the Western route is not being fruitful, the non-Western part of the UAE is very factionalised along tribal and regional lines. Try finding Urdu-speaking communities where people come from the same region as your ancestors (not the same country - the same region inside the country) and see if they can help you. You won't get anything Western-standard along those lines (in salary or hours), and with "passport politics" (racial and ethnic discrimination in the UAE is both legal and encouraged) they may not be even allowed to hire you legally. But it could be a start, and you might be able, as I alluded to earlier, find something that will tide you over at a minimum baseline until you find something Western-standard in salary and hours. This strategy also depends on how badly you want to be in the UAE. As I think I said earlier, go on leave, don't quit, your UK job until you actually have something firm in the UAE.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Real" jobs teaching English as a Foreign language require a first degree plus an MA in Linguistics. A 4-week CELTA will not cut the mustard.

Last edited by scot47; Apr 29th 2018 at 6:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.