Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:55 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by london_lad
Jamworld, stop listening to all nay sayers. Do your maths and if this means, your house in UK remains yours as the rent would pay the mortgage and you survive with a little bit extra in your pocket when you come back after 2 or 4 years, then go for it. I have concluded this after looking at all the nay sayers:

- Either they are really on big packages as they pretend (in which case, they will soon be slashed, I know of 6 such cases, where packages to caucasian brits were slashed to half and still they decided to stay - its all relative).

- OR, they are living a relatively better life than UK (somewhat like yours when you move over) but do not want the market to be overcrowded. You will hear they keep bitching about the shitty place ME is, but are still there for past X years.

So tuck in, come out for an adventure, good weather and an extra cash in your pocket. Better than being in council housing, losing your house and queuing up for benefits cheque.
Someone has had too much sauce over the jubilee weekend kid. So he comes out here on the bread line and the person renting his house leaves or does not pay the rent, then what happens?? He comes over here and cannot find schools that fit his budget, He doesn't get paid as agreed or he gets put in jail and gets a big fine with no money to pay it, Then what happens???

These things can and do happen and without a safety net of a few quid squirreled away you are ****ed.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:39 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your insights and input. You owe me nothing yet you took the time to provide sincere advice. I must say though that there was a little voice whispering that perhaps you are all too used to a life of luxury which is why you thought the package insufficient.

While browsing the bored, I found a post by Ethos83 that really drove the message home. Now I know you have all been saying pretty much the same thing, but for some reason this one clicked with me--don't know why--it just did. Here is the link if you care: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=dining+eating

With the huge cost for school fees, housing, two cars and all the other expenses, I would actually end up in the red. Not merely saving a little as I had presumed, but actually in the R-E-D.The package, then, is a lousy one, and I shall not take it. Thanks again for preventing me from making one of the biggest mistakes of my life. In the meantime, I will stick with Boeing and rack up more experience. Let's see then what sort of package I will be able to command. Thank you all.

Last edited by Jamworld; Jun 6th 2012 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

You will need 500 per week at least for petrol, not per month.

Unless you're planning on riding a bike.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

the soul destroying (and downright dangerous) drive to Abu Dhabi would have been enough to finish you off - you couldn't pay me to do that every day
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your insights and input. You owe me nothing yet you took the time to provide sincere advice. I must say though that there was a little voice whispering that perhaps you are all too used to a life of luxury which is why you thought the package insufficient.

While browsing the bored, I found a post by Ethos83 that really drove the message home. Now I know you have all been saying pretty much the same thing, but for some reason this one clicked with me--don't know why--it just did. Here is the link if you care: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=dining+eating

With the huge cost for school fees, housing, two cars and all the other expenses, I would actually end up in the red. Not merely saving a little as I had presumed, but actually in the R-E-D.The package, then, is a lousy one, and I shall not take it. Thanks again for preventing me from making one of the biggest mistakes of my life. In the meantime, I will stick with Boeing and rack up more experience. Let's see then what sort of package I will be able to command. Thank you all.
F#*K me..why do I bother?? I think this is the last time I waste on f*&king newbies!!!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:16 am
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
F#*K me..why do I bother?? I think this is the last time I waste on f*&king newbies!!!
Now, now, now, darling, don't get your undies in a twist. Did I not mention to you that you've opened my eyes to previously overlooked facts, now here you are all jealous and upset because I've complimented someone else. Tell you what, I'll buy you a drink (soda pop or orange juice) when I come over to Dubai for vacation. How's that sound? You've been most helpful dare and I can't thank you enough. Cheers!

Last edited by Jamworld; Jun 7th 2012 at 5:38 am.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_lad
Jamworld, stop listening to all nay sayers. Do your maths and if this means, your house in UK remains yours as the rent would pay the mortgage and you survive with a little bit extra in your pocket when you come back after 2 or 4 years, then go for it. I have concluded this after looking at all the nay sayers:

- Either they are really on big packages as they pretend (in which case, they will soon be slashed, I know of 6 such cases, where packages to caucasian brits were slashed to half and still they decided to stay - its all relative).

- OR, they are living a relatively better life than UK (somewhat like yours when you move over) but do not want the market to be overcrowded. You will hear they keep bitching about the shitty place ME is, but are still there for past X years.

So tuck in, come out for an adventure, good weather and an extra cash in your pocket. Better than being in council housing, losing your house and queuing up for benefits cheque.
You literally haven't got a clue lad .
Old Jun 7th 2012, 6:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Don't do it.

I only get paid AED 110,000 a month and I spend it all on cars, women and booze.

I have to give 10,000 a month to the hookers to keep them quiet and fuelling 2 Hummers, an Aston and a collection of off-road buggies is not cheap. Also, I only drink imported Nepalese water and it MUST be served to me in a glass at 8 degrees, poured and stirred anti-clockwise with a wiggly straw.

On 30,000 a month I could only afford 2 hookers, a toy hummer and the wiggly straws.

(sorry, someone had to, Millhouse has been too quiet)
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:51 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Don't do it.

I only get paid AED 110,000 a month and I spend it all on cars, women and booze.

I have to give 10,000 a month to the hookers to keep them quiet and fuelling 2 Hummers, an Aston and a collection of off-road buggies is not cheap. Also, I only drink imported Nepalese water and it MUST be served to me in a glass at 8 degrees, poured and stirred anti-clockwise with a wiggly straw.

On 30,000 a month I could only afford 2 hookers, a toy hummer and the wiggly straws.

(sorry, someone had to, Millhouse has been too quiet)
And the rest of it you waste??
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
And the rest of it you waste??
Didn't want to completely copy the quote, but yes.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:26 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Scamp
Didn't want to completely copy the quote, but yes.
LAD
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Hello,

I'm moving to the UAE later this year to work for Mubadala. Salary is 63K GBP. Out of that I have to take care of my own expenses for a family of four. Medical and dental is provided along with 22 days vacation; and supposedly there is an annual bonus ok 8K GBP. So I've browsed the site in an effort to determine the best places to live, I've already determined that Abu Dhabi is too expensive, hence, the decision to commute from Dubai. I'm budgeting for no more than 110K AED on a 3 bedroom. Besides Al Jumeirah and Umm Sequm, what other places would you suggest, and is 110K being too cheap? Thanks for your advice.
Hi
If you are concidering Dubai concider the Motor City area just off the main route to Adu Dhabi straight run ,one hour also in same location Green Village lovely area big expat community,nice community centre Spinneys etc,My daughter lives there so I visit quite a bit,concider to rent first before you jump in an buy,give yourself time to ajust.Best of luck,
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:36 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worriedmom
Hi
If you are concidering Dubai concider the Motor City area just off the main route to Adu Dhabi straight run ,one hour also in same location Green Village lovely area big expat community,nice community centre Spinneys etc,My daughter lives there so I visit quite a bit,concider to rent first before you jump in an buy,give yourself time to ajust.Best of luck,
do you write for the Khaleej Times?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
do you write for the Khaleej Times?
No, the Funday Times.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about

Great. Its all a matter of personal choice. I am glad Jamworld was able to come to a conclusion, whatever it was.

I am in a friggin different league than most of you. How many of you can put hand on heart and say they were making 110k+GBP at the age of 30? I am doing that for past 2.5 years, so dont come judging me or comparing me to your lowly selves.

I wanted to give an honest advice. Stay on the breadline or survive out in ME with about 20 to 30k in his pocket every year (according to his own calculations earlier in the post). I would pick ME any day compared to being on the dole, when everything seems to be going south in Blighty. Call me selfish but I am an investment banker and that's how we roll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.