Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Thanks for throwing out some numbers, it sure puts things into perspective. It's amazing how much they pay people that don't actually do much. So, Lullabelle, do I scorn the offer because receptionists make more than I do, or do I take it if it is way more than I make now; I will save more than I do now, and I will get some experience that can land me a future Middle East position with a much better package? Thoughts?
Darling, you won't save anything on the package that you have been offered.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What considerations to healthcare and flights home?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:17 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Push on the school fees being paid (up front) and a decent car allowance. Will you be doing driving for work? If so you need a decent SAFE vehicle. So that's why you need a decent car. If you are at the airport the commute won't be too bad. Well, not as bad if you were going on island or the utter shitehole that is Mussafah. Also, you want them to front relocation fees. A container over will cost £3000 up.

Don't worry about Emirati receptionists being paid more - they're local. You can't ever compare or compete with what they will be offered. Think of how the Filipino receptionists feel - they'll be on 2000 dhs a month if they are lucky.

If they top up on the school fees, the car, the relocation costs etc and you can do the first three months on your own (you should get the first month in a hotel) then you could do it - it would not be suicide. You WILL find yourself spending more money than you thought - it can all look great on paper yet fly out of your pocket. You will have time to sort out somewhere to live, schools, get settled etc before the expensive part of your family arrives.

One thing - if you have a house in the UK don't sell it. The UAE is an uncertain place...
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

TELA will become famous soon enoughTELA will become famous soon enough

Hi, don't want to hijack this thread but interesting as I have a similar situation & feel I may have shot myself in the foot.

I was approached by a company to go to AD at an executive level, to run a small (15+ employees) company. Interview has gone well etc & I was asked to give my required package; I'll be going as a single person in my early 40's with commitments at home in terms of a mortgage etc.

Asked for just over 30,000 AED a month, insurance, housing & vehicle - wondering if I've sold myself short now?

I didn't mention relocation package or flights etc ...

What are your thoughts please?

Excuse me Jamworld for butting in here; your question really had me wondering!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TELA
Hi, don't want to hijack this thread but interesting as I have a similar situation & feel I may have shot myself in the foot.

I was approached by a company to go to AD at an executive level, to run a small (15+ employees) company. Interview has gone well etc & I was asked to give my required package; I'll be going as a single person in my early 40's with commitments at home in terms of a mortgage etc.

Asked for just over 30,000 AED a month, insurance, housing & vehicle - wondering if I've sold myself short now?

The company have to give you a flight home every year so just ask them for a relocation allowance. 30k seems a bit low for your position although it is managable I would ask for 60,000 and see what they say..you have nothing to lose and maybe settle at 50,000+housing+insurance, maybe also negotiate a bonus scheme.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone home school out here- just wondering but seeing as most wives dont seem to work and schools are hard to get into/expensive surely it would make sense? I am available for sewing lessons lol The school of BE- god help us!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:32 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TELA

Don't mind it at all. Welcome.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kittycat1
does anyone home school out here- just wondering but seeing as most wives dont seem to work and schools are hard to get into/expensive surely it would make sense? I am available for sewing lessons lol The school of BE- god help us!
I know a few people who do online teaching with their children. Seems to work very well. I can do the PE class
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:38 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Push on the school fees being paid (up front) and a decent car allowance. Will you be doing driving for work? If so you need a decent SAFE vehicle. So that's why you need a decent car. If you are at the airport the commute won't be too bad. Well, not as bad if you were going on island or the utter shitehole that is Mussafah. Also, you want them to front relocation fees. A container over will cost £3000 up.

Don't worry about Emirati receptionists being paid more - they're local. You can't ever compare or compete with what they will be offered. Think of how the Filipino receptionists feel - they'll be on 2000 dhs a month if they are lucky.

If they top up on the school fees, the car, the relocation costs etc and you can do the first three months on your own (you should get the first month in a hotel) then you could do it - it would not be suicide. You WILL find yourself spending more money than you thought - it can all look great on paper yet fly out of your pocket. You will have time to sort out somewhere to live, schools, get settled etc before the expensive part of your family arrives.

One thing - if you have a house in the UK don't sell it. The UAE is an uncertain place...

Someone mentioned a good point about using "longevity" as a negotiating tool. I guess I will give it a shot and ask for the school fees and an extra car allowance. If my school fees are paid, and I make 63K GBP pa, and my house costs 24 GBP, I would be left with almost 40K for other expenses. Surely that would have to be enough. Anyone care to tell what year they moved to the Middle East, what is the range of the their package so as not to divulge too much, and what industry they work in so I can put things into perspective? Again the feedback has been overwhelming and I can't thank you all enough.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I know a few people who do online teaching with their children. Seems to work very well. I can do the PE class
That would save money, but I want my two little girls to be social and outgoing. Don't want them to be shy and introverted like myself.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

That would save money, but I want my two little girls to be social and outgoing. Don't want them to be shy and introverted like myself.
I was having a laugh re kittycat's post darling, not meaning that you should home school
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I was having a laugh re kittycat's post darling, not meaning that you should home school
I know. So how long have you been in Dubai for, Patsy, what type of work do you do if you care to share? Don't worry I'm not going to ask you how much you make.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

I know. So how long have you been in Dubai for, Patsy, what type of work do you do if you care to share? Don't worry I'm not going to ask you how much you make.
I have been here almost 9 years, I am a self employed personal trainer. I had to negotiate very long and hard for my salary..my boss is a real bitch
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I am available for history and politics
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

I'll do PE with Commander

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.