Reload this Page >

CAN I DRIVE LEGALLY?

CAN I DRIVE LEGALLY?

Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:49 am
Just Joined

hannaht416 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CAN I DRIVE LEGALLY?

Hi.
We are in the process of buying a car from one of our friends.
We went down to transfer insurance (into my husbands name) and to change the ownership. Insurance change was fine however our friends car loan hadn't cleared so we couldn't change ownership.
We had paid her for the car so she said for us to take it and we will meet back up when it's cleared to change ownership.
Basically, the car is registered in her name, she's the owner, and the insurance of the car is in my husbands name.
Are my husband and I able to drive the car legally with insurance?? Not sure!
Thanks
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAN I DRIVE LEGALLY?

Originally Posted by hannaht416
Hi.
We are in the process of buying a car from one of our friends.
We went down to transfer insurance (into my husbands name) and to change the ownership. Insurance change was fine however our friends car loan hadn't cleared so we couldn't change ownership.
We had paid her for the car so she said for us to take it and we will meet back up when it's cleared to change ownership.
Basically, the car is registered in her name, she's the owner, and the insurance of the car is in my husbands name.
Are my husband and I able to drive the car legally with insurance?? Not sure!
Thanks
Have you tried asking the insurance company....
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

and which country (apart from Saudi) would this be in I wonder....
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sicklyman
and which country (apart from Saudi) would this be in I wonder....
Sorry, I'm in Abu Dhabi.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Have you tried asking the insurance company....
I haven't, no. The car is insured by us but it's just the fact the insurance and owner isn't the same person. I might call and ask. Thanks.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i am surprised you managed to get insurance on a car that is not registered to you? In addition i am even more surprised you handed over money for a car that doesn't legally belong to the owner, since it has a loan on it.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

We went to change the insurance and registration over. Did insurance first and then went to change ownership and that's where we couldn't continue. We bought the car from our friend who also lives in Abu Dhabi so we have the car parked up now and which is why we paid her.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

As long as your friend really has repaid the loan, it should only take a day or 2 for the bank to remove the "mortgage" (as they seem to call it) from the system - if that bank is competent. I had a similar situation a few years ago - even though the seller had paid off the loan over a year beforehand, the useless bank hadn't bothered to clear it in the vehicle licencing system. He had to phone the bank about 3 times till they eventually did it all, but only took about 2 days I think.
I also think, but am not certain, that the sellers insurance cannot (may not) be cancelled and refunded until the system registers you as the new owner. In other words, the car is probably still insured under the current owner, and you can therefore drive it under their policy, as long as you otherwise meet the requirements (eg have a UAE licence etc).
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by archie159
As long as your friend really has repaid the loan, it should only take a day or 2 for the bank to remove the "mortgage" (as they seem to call it) from the system - if that bank is competent. I had a similar situation a few years ago - even though the seller had paid off the loan over a year beforehand, the useless bank hadn't bothered to clear it in the vehicle licencing system. He had to phone the bank about 3 times till they eventually did it all, but only took about 2 days I think.
I also think, but am not certain, that the sellers insurance cannot (may not) be cancelled and refunded until the system registers you as the new owner. In other words, the car is probably still insured under the current owner, and you can therefore drive it under their policy, as long as you otherwise meet the requirements (eg have a UAE licence etc).

This is really helpful. Thanks so much 😊.