Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can I choose to take my wife's package if she is offered accommodation

Can I choose to take my wife's package if she is offered accommodation

Old Mar 5th 2018, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Tyjg1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In the UAE, Can I choose to take my wife's package if she is offered accommodation

Hi guys,

Is it possible for us as a family to take the accomodation and package from my wife if her package is superior to mine?

I have gained employment but it is basically just a salary and an supplementary allowence of which I would pay accommodation and school fees and so on...

But if my wife's job included school fees and accommodation is it possible for us to take that as mine does not offer it?

Thanks for any help!

Regards

Last edited by Tyjg1989; Mar 5th 2018 at 2:55 pm. Reason: Wrong country
Old Mar 5th 2018, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Can I choose to take my wife's package if she is offered accommodation

In the UAE
Old Mar 5th 2018, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can I choose to take my wife's package if she is offered accommodation

Yes. You will probably find that your wife's employer will expect the children to be on her sponsorship for them to pay the school fees. You might find that they also expect her to sponsor you if they are expected to pay your annual family flights home, if these are also in her package. Best thing to do is to discuss this all with your employers. In general, this should not be a problem, but you ought both to clarify the exact details with both your employers.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Package structures vary widely so it's best to talk to your company's HR about what the explicit policies are. If you're receiving a lump sum package and it's up to you to pay for the fees/housing out of the lump sum, then that works in your favour and the company won't care or get involved or remove those components of the package. This is increasingly the case this day with fewer people receiving genuinely separate school fees/housing allowances or even annual flights. The salary statement will break it down, but it's strictly on paper and not in reality as you get that lump sump as your monthly salary.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply!

This has helped me as I am just trying to understand the workings of the place. I think I will be leaving for the UAE first with my wife and daughter following suit at a later date. When they arrive would I then just switch to her sponsorship? if that is how it works?

I guess I will find out as things progress ha!

Thanks for your help once again!
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tyjg1989
When they arrive would I then just switch to her sponsorship? if that is how it works?
You definitely need to check that assumption with your employer - and your wife with hers.