Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying an engagement ring in Dubai? Advice?

Buying an engagement ring in Dubai? Advice?

Old May 4th 2009, 11:22 am
FAX
Just Joined

FAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying an engagement ring in Dubai? Advice?

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy an engagement ring in the next few weeks. My better half (who's in the UK) has seen a couple of designs she likes in Beaverbrooks.

However I'm told I can get the same thing at better price here in Dubai.

Has anyone had any experience of buying diamond jewellery out here and can confirm the price difference is worth the hassle?

Basically I like the convenience of going into a UK shop with my fiance and getting her a ring that fits and that she likes, job done.

However buying her one from Dubai means the hassle of printing off the designs that she likes, getting her ring measurement size, finding a jeweller that can knock me up a white gold ring and the diamond cluster design she wants, then worrying about if I've been ripped off on substandard jewels, then worrying about how I'm going to get the ring and box back to the UK without being interrogated by Customs (assuming I have to pay taxes on the ring???)

In the end will the savings over a £1500 ring in the UK be worth it for me to buy in Dubai?

Would be grateful for any advice and where to buy (if you guys think Dubai would be the better place to buy)

Thanks all,

Fax

PS obviously I've never bought jewellery before so haven't got a clue where to start. If I do get it disastrously wrong and she refuses to marry me, is there anyone on this forum that would like to buy a diamond engagement ring from me (unworn)? Thanks in advance
Old May 4th 2009, 11:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying an engagement ring in Dubai? Advice?

First of all - don't panic!

Go to the Gold & Diamond park as the shops there are effectively government regulated so the chances of you being ripped off are very low. Do a little research into diamond quality as this will affect the value of the stones, as well as the price.

My engagement ring was bought here and I have since had it valued in the UK, at more 150% of what was paid for it. The jewellers commented on the good workmanship & diamond quality. If BC is around she'll vouch that it is stunning.

Many stores in G&D Park (as well as branches of Damas) will make up rings to order, but will need a few days to do so. If you know your fiancee's ring size it should fit perfectly, but it really isn't hard to have it altered in the UK anyway.

As you say, your challenge is to take it back into the UK as strictly speaking tax is payable. You can hope for the best though as unless you load up on duty free or look dodgy you are unlikely to be stopped.

Happy shopping!

-
Old May 4th 2009, 1:54 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FAX
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy an engagement ring in the next few weeks. My better half (who's in the UK) has seen a couple of designs she likes in Beaverbrooks.

However I'm told I can get the same thing at better price here in Dubai.

Has anyone had any experience of buying diamond jewellery out here and can confirm the price difference is worth the hassle?

Basically I like the convenience of going into a UK shop with my fiance and getting her a ring that fits and that she likes, job done.

However buying her one from Dubai means the hassle of printing off the designs that she likes, getting her ring measurement size, finding a jeweller that can knock me up a white gold ring and the diamond cluster design she wants, then worrying about if I've been ripped off on substandard jewels, then worrying about how I'm going to get the ring and box back to the UK without being interrogated by Customs (assuming I have to pay taxes on the ring???)

In the end will the savings over a £1500 ring in the UK be worth it for me to buy in Dubai?

Would be grateful for any advice and where to buy (if you guys think Dubai would be the better place to buy)

Thanks all,

Fax

PS obviously I've never bought jewellery before so haven't got a clue where to start. If I do get it disastrously wrong and she refuses to marry me, is there anyone on this forum that would like to buy a diamond engagement ring from me (unworn)? Thanks in advance
Check the 4 C's, cut, clarity, carat and colour. These are the factors that decide the value of a diamond. Have bought several gems stones for Mrs RK in Dubai and all are some way less than the retail price in the UK, worth the effort.

You really can't go wrong if you do your research and know what you are talking about. That goes for both decisions, the difference is disposing of a diamond will make you money, disposing of a wife will cost you more!
Old May 4th 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
First of all - don't panic!

Go to the Gold & Diamond park as the shops there are effectively government regulated so the chances of you being ripped off are very low. Do a little research into diamond quality as this will affect the value of the stones, as well as the price.

My engagement ring was bought here and I have since had it valued in the UK, at more 150% of what was paid for it. The jewellers commented on the good workmanship & diamond quality. If BC is around she'll vouch that it is stunning.

Many stores in G&D Park (as well as branches of Damas) will make up rings to order, but will need a few days to do so. If you know your fiancee's ring size it should fit perfectly, but it really isn't hard to have it altered in the UK anyway.

As you say, your challenge is to take it back into the UK as strictly speaking tax is payable. You can hope for the best though as unless you load up on duty free or look dodgy you are unlikely to be stopped.

Happy shopping!

-
my tuppence:

have used Cara alot and always found them execellent
I was not worried about being ripped off - pick your stone from a sealed certified package and watch them set it in front of you.
They will knock you up a design sample in a hour or two (wax) to approave then a day or two for a final version, which you can always change if you want anyway
Haven't had the ring valued at home but I am sure it is better value (from previous comparisons)
The only whisper of a problem i have heard with Cara is that their settings can occaisonally start to come lose - ask their advise when designing the ring and they will come up with a design that is inherently stronger than some others (settings made by hand with high carrat metal (softer) are more at risk of losening than industrailly produced rings).
Know your diamonds (wikipedia etc) and spend some time looking at options. Cara will bring you to the factory in the back - interesting to watch it being made.
This is the ring they made me after all the diamond stuff. My old man, 35 years in the jewellery trade, bet me a pint they wouldn't use my gold to actually make my ring, hence had to video it to prove him wrong!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QYC_FiY404
CH
PS - this might read like a sales pitch - it isn't. Get others' opinions, this is only mine
Old May 4th 2009, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in The Greens (arrived in Dubai on 22nd May 2009!).
FunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really nice

Hi there,
We bought my engagement ring from the G&D Park in March this year and I am over the moon with it. We got it from Hemendra, right near to the cafe in the middle of the park. We also got the wedding bands from there as well, and the service was excellent. Although we haven't had it valued, we are more than certain it is worth a lot more than we paid.
You will get excellent service in the G&D Park - we were blown away by the way we were looked after. You never know, you may find a ring exactly like the one you are looking for...but they will be able to do anything you require.
I was wearing my ring on the way back to Ireland, but we had the wedding rings in the hand luggage - not a problem at all!
Good luck - you won't be disappointed.
FF x
Old May 4th 2009, 2:39 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yes Meow's engagement ring a fab

I bought my best friends engagement ring on behalf of her fiance, I chose a single stone and had it set, it was fantastic. The cost here was 1500 quid, it was valued in the UK at 4500 quid. It is well worth taking the time to get the right ring. Beaverbrooks is mass produced crap if you ask me.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:43 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

just a thought, can you post a link for the ring she wants? my jeweller stocks a good selection of white gold diamond clusters, and I get an excellent discount, he may well have similar if not the same as she is looking for. Get her ring size, rings can be sized in a day.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

I second Cara's at G&D Park - not only are they the only ones packed with people buying things, but their customer service is 2nd to none. I lost a diamond from my beautiful ring last week, took it in and they replaced it for free ............when I asked why should it have come off? He said it was not held with clasps, but with a bezel (the stone was surrounded by gold), so more likely to fall off if "lip" is not even all the way around. I had the ring back by the time we had a burger at the G&D Park.

Great People at Cara's.
Old May 4th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is possible to third something...I highly "third" Cara's the service is excellent, very helpful and fantastic quality products at good prices- feel free to haggle!!

When I bought my wife's engagement ring there they were able to design it from scratch. They will even let you into their workshop (which is an interesting experience) to watch your piece being made.

We have had several friends who have bought engagement rings there too and been very happy.

Hope this helps.
Old May 4th 2009, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

totally agree that cara is the place to go...amazing diamonds, they will go out of their way to get you what you want, and prices are very competitive...

MM, xx
Old May 4th 2009, 5:28 pm
???

moto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to behold

another Cara fan here, I got my engagement ring from here, picked the stone, and then went to the workshop and watched them make up the setting I wanted, also got our wedding rings from there and take all of our visitors there.....
Old May 4th 2009, 6:51 pm
FAX
Just Joined

FAX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow

Please could you tell me where you bought it from?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
just a thought, can you post a link for the ring she wants? my jeweller stocks a good selection of white gold diamond clusters, and I get an excellent discount, he may well have similar if not the same as she is looking for. Get her ring size, rings can be sized in a day.
Thanks you have PM

Originally Posted by moto111

another Cara fan here,
Yes lots of Cara fans on here so I'll go and have a look and let you guys know how I eventually get on

Thanks all
Old May 4th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine in Hatton Garden London, didn't want to take the chance of getting the wrong one as she is a fussy bugger - so made sure she could be there to choose.

Paid 9.5k and had it valued at 22k

Some really good deals in Hatton Garden at the moment.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:56 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

cara for my wifes engagement rings and our wedding bands
Old May 5th 2009, 5:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FAX
Please could you tell me where you bought it from?

Thanks all

A shop called Momai Gems in the G&D Park. From front entrance along to the left, I think. Lovely man and great service. It was a rather expensive ring (3 large diamonds), but still a snip compared to UK prices.

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.