Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Saudi....

Buying a car in Saudi....

Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Saudi....

Originally Posted by imi7
Was looking at the CX 9 today. Is dealer servicing reasonably priced and are parts relatively cheap/easy to get hold of?

I think the CX9 is starting at 98k now - good value for a 7 seater......
I doubt that price, at least for new, as the CX-5 is 110k.

I pay 3-400 per service. I had to replace the rear bumper when someone drove into it while it was parked and did a runner. Mazda had the part in stock and resprayed it to match. Whole thing was 3k. No idea if that's reasonable. Did it very quickly too.

Sure, parts are going to be more expensive than, say, Kia. But bits are far less likely to fall off than, say, Kia
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely buy new. Cars depreciate much slower than in the west (why? Who knows) and 2nd hand cars have often been abused. In particular, mst US import cars are usually crash write offs which were illegal to resell in the states so were imported here, badly repaired amd sold in 'as new' condition with a fake history. Always run a US VIN check...

For your price range i'd go with a Toyota SUV for good resale amd easy access to spare parts.

Toyota Prado (4 wheel drive version) is your best bet. good cars with amazing resale value. Toyota Sequoia is bigger, faster and cheaper but crap interiors and a little harder to sell on. Fortuna is a cheaper version of Prado, also worth considering.

Other options would be Tahoe/Suburban/xterra/pathfinder/patrol, Mazda CX9

Finally if you want value for money, the Tucson/Sportage/santa fe are incredibly cheap small SUVs, Ford Explorer or Ford Expedition are also cheap for what they are.

Avoid Jeep Wrangler, great off road but crap on road, FJ Cruiser, great off road but dark inside and dangerous for rear passengers.

For prices, resale values and reviews look at (covers KSA prices quite accurately)

http://www.drivearabia.com/ultimatec...014-2015-/1013

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Sep 19th 2014 at 12:49 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
Definitely buy new. Cars depreciate much slower than in the west (why? Who knows)
Sellers market, I think down to minimum salary for bank installments loan being 5500sar. When 85% of Saudis too poor to buy a home this may help explain that theory.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Don't buy a Landcruiser.....As I drove back from Bahrain yesterday I saw several of them along the way abandoned at the side of the road with the bonnet up...obviously overheating problems. Also their parking assist cameras are huge and attached to the rear window for some reason.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

erm... are you aware that the police use vehicles exactly as you describe as speed traps?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sicklyman
erm... are you aware that the police use vehicles exactly as you describe as speed traps?
WHOOOOOOSH!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sicklyman
Wow really ? That's cleared that up....Must dash, the Prince of Nigeria wants to transfer funds to my account...