Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Getting to be a real cynical old fart....17 years here, still I am amazed at some of the shit that goes on here!!!
A small part of me misses my Lancerghini. Was great for 6 months to learn the roads and not have to worry too much.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:48 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Basically, original poster, buy what you wish
You'll quickly find that the most important thing is really good AC, and for that reason alone I'd recommend Toyota. My experience across 10 years in Dubai was that Toyota seemed to have cracked properly cold AC in a way that other manufacturers hadn't.

Ignore any bollocks about some makes not coping with the heat. They all cope just fine. The Gulf is far from unique in terms of its summer heat and all manufacturers stress-test their vehicles in very cold and very hot environments.

If you want to do what the locals do, get a Range Rover and make sure you sell it before the free servicing runs out and you're bankrupted by the repair costs.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could do what they used to do years ago.......go out and buy the super car of your dreams Lamborghini, Ferrari , and then when everything goes tits up just dump it at the airport when your doing a runner!!!!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I stopped receiving notifications so figured this thread had gone dead, didn't realise there was all sorts of discussions going on!

I always intended to rent for the firs 3-6 months, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I was just curious regarding reliability, because as I said, we're under the impression in the UK that German is the way to go !!!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond, I really appreciate it. This forums been a great help so far, as I've alluded to in a new post I've just put up regarding document Attesting - this forum has saved me a lot of hassle

Thanks guys !
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Japanese car - but I also drove 5,000 to 6,000 kms every month. I was on a long-term lease, which suited me fine, whenever it was time for servicing or something broke down, just swap cars. They would swap make and model sometimes but it was always Japanese.

I would, as you noted, lease for the first 3 to 6 months.

Your time horizon in thinking about this purchase should be something like 3 to 5 years. You will find out when you arrive, that the number of people who outlast their cars in the Middle East, are quite small.