Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Old Jun 27th 2017, 5:00 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Originally Posted by mission
and your point is? my point is that it's all horse sh*t about jap cars being more 'adaptable' out here....that maybe the case for used cars and in which case ALL used cars over here, regardless of make/model will have been treated like sh*t....especially anything over 3 yrs ie where there is no service history...so to say jap cars are better than german cars out here, is total bollocks.
The only reason you see more jap cars is because they are cheaper
My point is that you are basing your declaration of German reliability on your own anecdotal experience when literally every survey carried out has Toyota at the top of the list.
Reliability is unrelated to the cost of the car, a connection you seem unable to make. Whether that is because you are defending your German car or simply are stupid I'm not sure.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 5:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The meaning of "reliability" had changed immensely over the past 40 years. Back in the 1970's a "reliable" car started most of the time, and there was a good chance it would get you to your destination without needing to stop and look under the bonnet.

These days even most "unreliable" cars will go tens of thousands of miles with nothing but fuel and regular servicing.

My Accord has stopped and refused to start just three times in 14 years. On each occasion the battery had failed. I had new transaxles fitted last week because of wear causing a vibration, at 331,000 miles. The original engine lasted 296,000 miles but the original clutch is still going strong!
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

The first Japanese car I bought amazed me. Previously I'd only had EOL vehicles with various issues that could just about be patched up. The last of these wasn't too bad, a then 2 year old MG Metro Turbo. Nothing earth shattering but it was at least mostly reliable, so far as any Leyland car of that vintage ever was. The car that replaced it, a 1988 Toyota MR2 was just in another league, even though it was from the period when the Japanese seats were more like something from a sitting room suite everything about the car was a simple story in all that was wrong about British cars.
Today I drive a Merc at home, I just don't see the same quality or attention to detail in Japanese cars. Certainly more expensive but so what, I like it and I very much enjoy driving it. It's my first new one and so far nothing but good to say about it. Not sure if I would buy a Merc in this part of the world. New, maybe, secondhand, only at the right price, not more than 3 years old and with an expectation that it spend the first couple of weeks getting all the worn and unattended to details fixed, probably budget 30-50k for that.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My Accord has stopped and refused to start just three times in 14 years. On each occasion the battery had failed. I had new transaxles fitted last week because of wear causing a vibration, at 331,000 miles. The original engine lasted 296,000 miles but the original clutch is still going strong!
So hold on..... you changed the engine (so split the block and the gearbox) and didn't change the clutch at the same time? Or you replaced the engine and gearbox and put the original clutch in it (makes no sense). Either way, I'd sack my mechanic in both cases. Why on earth would you ever split a block and gearbox and not replace a clutch with 296K on it? Just because it looked OK doesn't mean it is. Old clutches can crack and explode without warning when old..... and for the price of buying and fitting a replacement compared with the price / hassle of splitting a block and gearbox in the future makes zero sense.

You'll be telling me you wash out oil filters next.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack

You'll be telling me you wash out oil filters next.

Are you not supposed to do that then????
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
So hold on..... you changed the engine (so split the block and the gearbox) and didn't change the clutch at the same time? Or you replaced the engine and gearbox and put the original clutch in it (makes no sense). Either way, I'd sack my mechanic in both cases. Why on earth would you ever split a block and gearbox and not replace a clutch with 296K on it? Just because it looked OK doesn't mean it is. Old clutches can crack and explode without warning when old..... and for the price of buying and fitting a replacement compared with the price / hassle of splitting a block and gearbox in the future makes zero sense. ....
I had exactly that conversation with the mechanic, and based on the discussion of costs, risks, benefits, and the condition of the clutch we agreed that the old clutch stayed in place. Almost two years and 35,000 miles later I am perfectly happy with the decision no matter how irrational it seems.

FWIW The gearbox is also original.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I had exactly that conversation with the mechanic, and based on the discussion of costs, risks, benefits, and the condition of the clutch we agreed that the old clutch stayed in place. Almost two years and 35,000 miles later I am perfectly happy with the decision no matter how irrational it seems.

I've had this broom for 15 years. It's had six new heads and four new handles Rodney.

We have a saying...Look after your broom.

... And the broom will look after you?

No. Look after your broom.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've had this broom for 15 years. It's had six new heads and four new handles Rodney.

We have a saying...Look after your broom.

... And the broom will look after you?

No. Look after your broom.
The cost of the engine two years ago was less than two years depreciation on a new car.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Basically, original poster, buy what you wish.

You're always going to come across a shit load of boring middle aged, middle managers who buy the safe, middle style, middle safety, middle car to fit in with a middle life, middle earning, middle existence.

Buy a Range Rover or a BMW X5 or a Merceded GL 500. Why not? **** it. You'll only end up in a Pajero feeling like a twat for getting the middle one when the Indian guy at the lights with a terrible 'tache and 3 coloured pens in his shirt pocket has the deluxe Pajero.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

You're always going to come across a shit load of boring middle aged, middle managers who buy the safe, middle style, middle safety, middle car to fit in with a middle life, middle earning, middle existence.

Buy a Range Rover or a BMW X5 or a Merceded GL 500. Why not? **** it. You'll only end up in a Pajero feeling like a twat for getting the middle one when the Indian guy at the lights with a terrible 'tache and 3 coloured pens in his shirt pocket has the deluxe Pajero.
I think he should get an explorer. Now that's an SUV that makes a statement.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

I think he should rent for the first 6 months, for 2 reasons,

1. To get acclimatized and have the chance to really look at different cars first hand.

2. Just in case he has no job after 3 months!!!!!
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Not when it's 18months old like mine was....but now....wow. Big Nigel dominates the road with a roar, grunt and rattle that strikes fear into the biggest of Patrols.

Something about driving something almost worthless that I love. No cares, no worries, cut me up, see if my brakes work, your choice.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I still think your mechanic was in the wrong. The cost of dropping and splitting a lump and gearbox compared with just replacing is when its out and split (which it must have been to inspect its condition) are not even on the same page. Ridiculous approach even if you've managed 35k since.

Agree to a point. Although this is an easy way to get into the whole new Dubai expat keeping up with the Jones' crew.

I'd still avoid German cars though if you're not happy with the cost of their upkeep.

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile

1. To get acclimatized and have the chance to really look at different cars first hand.

Agree. And if you're not used to aggressive driving then you're gonna have a bump or two.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile

Very good point actually, for both reasons..
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Very good point actually, for both reasons..

Getting to be a real cynical old fart....17 years here, still I am amazed at some of the shit that goes on here!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.