Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British passport renewal

British passport renewal

Old Jul 2nd 2015, 7:22 am
Just Joined

theramblingman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passport renewal

I know there are a few threads on this already but just wondered if there were any updates on passport renewal. Has anyone tried doing it online this year? It says it takes at least 6 weeks but that's cutting it too fine between two trips I have planned.

Really I just need extra pages. Is there a fast track option for overseas? If I'm pushed for time is going back to the UK the only option?

Cheers,
Stephen
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 7:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: British passport renewal

No fasttrack for overseas.

I did it online, printed the shit, paid for the bigger one and sent everything off via courier.

It said to me minimum 4 weeks. I got it back in about 10-12 days...but this was back in May I think.

Other option, as you say, is to fly home and do it.

I was really impressed with the speed though. The tracking online is nice and simple too, three stages - we're waiting for your shit - we're processing your shit - we've sent your shit back. I had the last one in about 8/9 days I think.

Most impressed.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by theramblingman
I know there are a few threads on this already but just wondered if there were any updates on passport renewal. Has anyone tried doing it online this year? It says it takes at least 6 weeks but that's cutting it too fine between two trips I have planned.

Really I just need extra pages. Is there a fast track option for overseas? If I'm pushed for time is going back to the UK the only option?

Cheers,
Stephen
I renewed my child's passport from Dubai about a month. Took about 3 weeks to get the new one back (someone else in the office got his renewed in about 2 weeks total).

6 weeks should be more than long enough
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

DianneB52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a word of warning, in 2014 my friend in Bahrain used the online system but because she had previously renewed her passport overseas the uk did not have any record of it and it took 5 MONTHS to get hers back....even though she phoned them twice a week and each time they said they were processing it..Good luck
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DianneB52
Just a word of warning, in 2014 my friend in Bahrain used the online system but because she had previously renewed her passport overseas the uk did not have any record of it and it took 5 MONTHS to get hers back....even though she phoned them twice a week and each time they said they were processing it..Good luck
The UKPA had loads of issues in 2014 when they changed from issuing passports in Germany to the UK. My own passport took about 3 months to be renewed in 2014 from March through to June.

They seem to have this all sorted now.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

theramblingman is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah sounds promising then. That's why I started a new thread - the most recent ones were from last year and sounded like everyone was having issues then.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneB52
I can well believe that, I was sweating on my renewal to come out here back in May/June 2014. Just as a caveat to that though, this time last year there was a front-page-news backlog for getting a UK passport renewed, a combination of last minute applications for holiday season, overseas processing having become a budget cut without resources being put in at UKPA, plus no doubt some old fashioned public sector slackness. Processing times have improved since then though. Good luck.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Did mine in March. Sent on 6th, received new passport on 26th. Easy to track as well.