Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British passport renewal

British passport renewal

Old May 31st 2014, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of
Default Re: British passport renewal

If I was needing to renew my passport in a hurry I would have probably done the same as kittycat1, but the situ stinks when trying to get a new passport for a new born baby. 9 weeks is just too long to sit around here all stinking summer when all I want to do is go home for a month with my little fella (the ONLY time in my entire life I'll get the time to go home for a month and the passport debarcle will prevent this)

When booking my travel dates earlier in the year I'd allowed 9 weeks from birth to flights when the estimated turn around time was just 6 weeks. Now with the turnaround time being 8/9 weeks (sometimes longer) I'm stuck not knowing when to move my flights to and also leaves me no time to get the residential visa in the passport within the 90 day deadline. (ie if passport comes back just in the nick of time for my flights then I will miss the 90 day visa deadline by the time I've spent time in the UK), I also have to allow a day to go to immigration for some special stamp because baby's passport won't have an entry stamp.

And, what really worries me is, if I move my flights forward by 3 weeks and the passport STILL doesn't come back in time then I'm totally screwed on all fronts ...... :-(

Nothing anyone can do, thank you for allowing me the space here to rant.

Yours,

Fedupdoesntcomeclose.com

Last edited by Equestra; May 31st 2014 at 9:32 am.
Old May 31st 2014, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I flew back to the UK especially to renew mine, as I couldn't end up in the situation you are now in. As much as it was an expensive trip for a passport and I had to take one days annual leave it was absolutely worth it if you can't risk not having your passport. I had the premium service my appointment wasn't til 4pm on the Thursday(booked a month in advance)-which was 5pm by the time I actually got to see anyone and then was told it wouldn't be ready til 8AM on the Friday morning as they have to be in processing by 4pm to be done the same day. I did point out that if their appointments ran on time then that would have been the case, anyway little point throwing your toys out the pram in places like, but was ready at 8am the next day, i got a fleeting visit to my family then flew back on the sat. So expensive yes but for me sending it off for 2-3 months wasn't an option ( workwise) but also hate the idea of being stuck in a country without my passport just in case there is a family emergency etc.

For the above reason I wouldn't make an appointment on a Friday just in case you have to wait til the Monday.
yeh to get it back in 4 hours you need to check depending on which office you are at whats the latest appointment it does say on website etc.
Old May 31st 2014, 1:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's a cost-cutting measure, pure and simple. The FCO is facing massive real-term budget cuts over the next few years and all those consular staff who used to process your passport application in country were expensive and required expensive real estate to operate from. The FCO couldn't afford to handle it any longer so they passed the responsibility onto the Home Office who decided to onshore all applications. Now they're gone the FCO can save on their salaries and downsize their real estate portfolio to boot. The same thing is happening with those staff who process UK visa applications as the Home Office wasn't willing to pay the FCO for the office space.
Old May 31st 2014, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Surely they could make (or at least recoup some of their costs) by charging an outrageous surcharge fee for an oversees application FAST TRACK option! Frankly I'd happily pay whatever it cost to speed up this application.

But no, there is no option for us expats other than to 'post and hope'. I feel they truly have us over a barrel!

Grumble rant grumble rant .......

Yours,

stillverypissedoff.com
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

makhtar is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: British passport renewal

Originally Posted by marshi
I have been living in UAE for last four years. My British Passport needed renewal. I sent it in March and they have confirmed it's been received on March 26th. I called the help line number of times but there was no joy and I have sent few email around. The only replied email was the website guidelines. I need to renew my residency here in Jun. It's nearly 8 weeks now and I don't know what to do. Has anyone had the same experience?
I applied for my son's first passport from Saudi. They received it on 25th March and I still don't have it. When I call them all they say is its being processed. We want to go back for the summer.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Its a big issue in Hong Kong at the moment. The consulate stopped issuing passports in December 2013 and although it was initially ok it has gone down hill since to its current state !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...-delay-problem
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

When I did mine in 2012, it took about 5 weeks, and I was in Thailand at the time, had to sent the papers to Hong Kong, but the passport came to me by DHL from UK to Thailand, it was pretty straightforward...My advice would be for anyone who does this to request for the thicker passport (that has more pages) Living an expat life fills a passport with stamps, especially if you move around a lot.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debowing
When I did mine in 2012, it took about 5 weeks, and I was in Thailand at the time, had to sent the papers to Hong Kong, but the passport came to me by DHL from UK to Thailand, it was pretty straightforward...My advice would be for anyone who does this to request for the thicker passport (that has more pages) Living an expat life fills a passport with stamps, especially if you move around a lot.
the issue is since they have moved it from germany as of late last year... and it now all goes thru uk, even people in the uk are having major issues, they have cut back on staff and with the peak rush hour they are failing quite miserably..... someone in the uk should get their mp onto the case and complain as they cannot continue to do this waiting over 2 months for your passport..... as sometimes you dont have a big window of opportunity to loose it for that long! as i said before they should let you send it anytime like in the last 2 years to renew and just add that time to the duration.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how long the waiting list for the “Premium 1-day Service” is at the moment, it’s mentioned online it may be up to 3 weeks? I’m going to be in the UK next week so if I can get an appointment might use it.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Mine took 3 weeks, roughly, in September 2013.

The bastards sent me a standard one and not with extra pages (and sent a refund for the difference with the passport). It's now full and I have to start again
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Does anyone know how long the waiting list for the “Premium 1-day Service” is at the moment, it’s mentioned online it may be up to 3 weeks? I’m going to be in the UK next week so if I can get an appointment might use it.
Its hit and miss ! when I did mine I rang up 2 months before and they said im too early to make a booking and told me to call back just 3 weeks from when I wanted an appointment. I have a friend who managed to book an appointment the day before. There are a number of passport offices where this service if offered so if you are prepared to travel then you should be ok.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
it depends just ring up and see each office will be different time scales, but i would say that the peeps in uk who are suffering same sort of issues will be using them all up too!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

I got my new one on 28th May - they received my application on 3rd April - so about 8 weeks.

Still not received my old one back.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mogs
I got my new one on 28th May - they received my application on 3rd April - so about 8 weeks.

Still not received my old one back.
well it seems old ones taking a week to get here apparently
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

and a further update :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...headaches.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.