Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Brief history of Saudi

Brief history of Saudi

Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:25 pm
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brief history of Saudi revisitted

Originally Posted by stormer
Agree. I would not even go as far as defining these as western values. They are basic human right values.
And if you walk into the Saudi houses? Like I so often did? And you REALLY talk openly? You would be surprised howmany Saudi's want JUST that.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:30 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stormer
Agree. I would not even go as far as defining these as western values. They are basic human right values.
Human rights and equality =yes

KFC, Walmart, 50 screen cinemas ? =No
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:31 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
And if you walk into the Saudi houses? Like I so often did? And you REALLY talk openly? You would be surprised howmany Saudi's want JUST that.
So IYHO, what does the average Saudi think, I found them slightly guarded even in their own homes.

(but these where guys i worked with and that probably made a difference)
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:32 pm
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brief history of Saudi

Someone wrote on here that average Saudi is becoming poor again? Has anyone looked at the billions of Dollars stored away in European and American accounts? There is a reason for this, called the "Royal Family". If Fahad dies? No major changes will come, as time has a different meaning in Saudi Arabia. But with a fuse already lit?

Howmany times have Saudi women now stepped in a car in Riyadh and driven around protesting? It's the Saudi Royalty that is scared shitless because the average European, American and Jew isn't really that bad at all. I once asked my partner "If a Jew walked in to do business, what would you do?" His answer? "We the real Saudi's? Would offer him tea and offer him food... And do business like normal.."

Last edited by Frans Wind; Jun 6th 2005 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future

On the topic of oil, friend e-mailed me this article..

Are We Out of Gas Yet?

The continuing "oil crisis" crisis

Ronald Bailey

Once again, the gauge on our national economy is dropping dangerously to the red. So swears a spate of books and articles in the past few years, reviving '70s-era fears of impending oil catastrophe. The once-invaluable, now highly political, Scientific American ran an article in March 1998 declaring "The End of Cheap Oil." Fred Pearce similarly declared in a July 1999 New Scientist article, "Dry Future," that "the world is probably only two years off peak oil production, after which decline is inevitable." In his 2001 book Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage, Princeton University Professor Kenneth Deffeyes found "that world oil production will peak in this decade—and there isn't anything we can do to stop it. While long-term solutions exist in the form of conservation and alternative energy sources, they probably cannot—and almost certainly will not—be enacted in time to evade a short-term catastrophe."

More recently, in January Caltech physics Professor David Goodstein upped the ante in his book, Out of Gas: The End of the Age of Oil, warning that the peak of world production is imminent and that "we can, all too easily, envision a dying civilization, the landscape littered with the rusting hulks of SUVs."

There is a choirmaster to this chorus of oily doom: the late geophysicist M. King Hubbert. In 1956 Hubbert (correctly) predicted that U.S. oil production would peak in the early 1970s. Like Hubbert, current doomsayers reach their grim conclusions of impending octane depletion by using estimates of the world's recoverable reserves of oil and comparing them with estimates of rates of future use. From this they derive predictions of when the demand for oil will outstrip the supply, and most suggest that dry pumps will greet us before the end of this decade.

Once the peak is reached, oil doomsters foresee skyrocketing prices leading to economic ruin and social and environmental collapse. One reviewer of Goodstein's book despaired, "If he's right, I'm sorry for my kids. And I'm especially sorry for theirs."

But we've heard it all before. "These kinds of doom and gloom energy predictions become popular every 10 years or so," says Michael Lynch, president of Strategic Energy and Economic Research, a Massachusetts consulting firm. "In this case there's very little original research and everybody is citing the same handful of articles. It's an example of how the herd instinct drives the psychology of scientific consensus." Lynch's new study "The New Pessimism about Petroleum Resources," pokes holes in forecasts of imminent oil doom. Lynch points out that the supply of oil is determined not only by geologic factors, but also by political, economic, and technological ones.

It's true that oil discoveries peaked in 1982, but Lynch argues that's because of politics, not geology. "The big factor in the decline in oil discoveries is that Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, and Iran all nationalized their oil industries in the 1970s. Plus Iraq and Iran went to war and essentially stopped exploring for more oil," explains Lynch. "They have so much oil, why would they bother looking for more?" He adds dryly that Scientific American doomster Colin Campbell has been predicting that the peak of oil production is three to four years away for the past 15 years.

The fact is, we don't really know how much oil is left. "Available supply" is not merely a geological fact. It depends on technology and economics as well. But we do have some good guesses out there. Henry Linden, a professor of energy and power engineering at the Illinois Institute of Technology, just published an estimate of eight trillion barrels of oil, gas, and oil sand reserves in the Oil and Gas Journal. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) estimates of worldwide conventional oil resources range from 2.248 trillion barrels to 3.896 trillion barrels.

Annual global oil production these days is 24.5 billion barrels. At the current rate of production, oil supplies would last at least 90 years. Taking into consideration various scenarios for future energy use and based on those USGS estimates, the Energy Information Administration sees oil production peaking anywhere from 2030 to 2075. Hardly an imminent crisis.

Someday, of course, oil production really will peak, either for geologic or economic reasons, or most likely a combination of both. Instead of a catastrophe, Lynch expects a relatively smooth transition to new energy sources. And history bears out his optimism. Oil crisis mongers make the mistake of thinking that "markets are so myopic that they cannot foresee future supply trends; that markets won't realize when a resource is running out."

If demand for oil begins to outstrip the supply, prices will rise, signaling companies and consumers to use less, develop new technologies, switch to other fuels, increase their insulation, and so forth. "Demand for energy is going to move away from heavy hydrocarbons," Lynch predicts. "Coal is first, oil is next." He expects that our old hydrocarbon friends will be replaced in our affection by natural gas, nuclear, and other forms of energy as those technologies improve. "It will be much like the transition in the 20th century from coal to oil in the residential heating and transportation sectors or like the transition from horses to cars," he says. The Oil Age will end, not with a horrific screech leading to a destructive crash, but with a barely perceptible, well-lubricated, smoothly braked halt, one that is merely a prelude to moving smoothly and rapidly forward again.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:41 pm
Up in the air

Can you remember when a few westerners were blown up a few years ago,??

Rather than admit they had a problem with terrorism, the Saudi officials INSISTED it was a turf war for the illegal drinks trade. Utter Bull......

Christopher Rodway, a British hospital engineer, was on his way to a garden center in Riyadh when his jeep blew up. He died instantly.

Five days later, a bomb ripped apart another car in Riyadh. Among the wounded were two British men who worked for Al-Salam Aircraft Co., partly owned by Boeing.

Saudi police quickly arrested several Westerners and blamed the bombings on a turf war among bootleggers.

There is no doubt that the illegal liquor trade is big in Saudi Arabia, a conservative Muslim nation where alcohol is banned. Many foreigners who work in the kingdom make their wine from Danya grape juice, sugar and brewer's yeast -- all readily available in Saudi supermarkets. Others become involved in the risky but highly profitable business of smuggling liquor into the kingdom from Bahrain or the United Arab Emirates.

Briton Paul Moss managed a residential compound for AT&T in Riyadh, but discovered he could make more in a day selling illegal booze than he could in a week at his regular job. By late 2000, he was smuggling in 100 cases at a time of Johnnie Walker scotch, Moet & Chandon champagne and other sought-after labels. Each case contained 12 bottles, and most of them went to rich Saudis.

"Three of the guys I delivered to are princes," Moss said in a phone interview from Australia where he now lives. "These guys are very powerful and have a lot of cash and there wasn't enough (liquor) for them. What would happen -- and it got a bit crazy toward the end -- they'd be phoning me at 3 and 4 in the morning when they were really drunk, hassling me to get more. There was never enough, the 100 cases would last about two weeks."

Moss was unloading 18 cases of whiskey a few days after the first bombing when he was caught by the mutaween, the Saudi religious police. Moss had heard it was easy to bribe one's way out of trouble so he kept 5,000 riyals -- about $1,400 -- on hand for such an occasion. But to his surprise he was hauled off to prison.

"I felt this was unusual, and the very first thing they said to me was, 'We know you planted bombs.' You could have knocked me down. I said, 'I'm happy to talk about alcohol but I know nothing about bombs.' They weren't interested in alcohol -- everything was related to these bombings."

The Saudis' efforts to pin the bombings on foreign bootleggers would soon become more difficult. By March 2001, several Westerners were in jail and in what were widely seen as forced confessions, three men admitted on TV to planting the bomb that killed Christopher Rodway.

They gave no motive and the bombings continued. That suggested there was some other group, or groups, behind them.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:43 pm
UAE Expat

Someone wrote on here that average Saudi is becoming poor again? Has anyone looked at the billions of Dollars stored away in European and American accounts? There is a reason for this, called the "Royal Family". If Fahad dies? No major changes will come, as time has a different meaning in Saudi Arabia. But with a fuse already lit?

Howmany times have Saudi women now stepped in a car in Riyadh and driven around protesting? It's the Saudi Royalty that is scared shitless because the average European, American and Jew isn't really that bad at all. I once asked my partner "If a Jew walked in to do business, what would you do?" His answer? "We the real Saudi's? Would offer him tea and offer him food... And do business like normal.."
I once asked a senior member of the Saudi Ministry of Finance "What do you estimate on none Royal Family accounts is stored outside of the Kingdom?" His answer? About 400 Billion US Dollars.. And when everyone became slightly quiet in the room and I asked "And what is the reason for this?" I got as an answer "You don't ask questions like that Mister Wind, atleast not in public. Join me for dinner in my house, where people like you and me can talk freely."

I guess that really says it all right?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:48 pm
Up in the air

I once asked a senior member of the Saudi Ministry of Finance "What do you estimate on none Royal Family accounts is stored outside of the Kingdom?" His answer? About 400 Billion US Dollars.. And when everyone became slightly quiet in the room and I asked "And what is the reason for this?" I got as an answer "You don't ask questions like that Mister Wind, atleast not in public. Join me for dinner in my house, where people like you and me can talk freely."

I guess that really says it all right?
You can see why the average Saudi is pissed off!..
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:50 pm
UAE Expat

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Can you remember when a few westerners were blown up a few years ago,??

Rather than admit they had a problem with terrorism, the Saudi officials INSISTED it was a turf war for the illegal drinks trade. Utter Bull......

Christopher Rodway, a British hospital engineer, was on his way to a garden center in Riyadh when his jeep blew up. He died instantly.

Five days later, a bomb ripped apart another car in Riyadh. Among the wounded were two British men who worked for Al-Salam Aircraft Co., partly owned by Boeing.

Saudi police quickly arrested several Westerners and blamed the bombings on a turf war among bootleggers.

There is no doubt that the illegal liquor trade is big in Saudi Arabia, a conservative Muslim nation where alcohol is banned. Many foreigners who work in the kingdom make their wine from Danya grape juice, sugar and brewer's yeast -- all readily available in Saudi supermarkets. Others become involved in the risky but highly profitable business of smuggling liquor into the kingdom from Bahrain or the United Arab Emirates.

Briton Paul Moss managed a residential compound for AT&T in Riyadh, but discovered he could make more in a day selling illegal booze than he could in a week at his regular job. By late 2000, he was smuggling in 100 cases at a time of Johnnie Walker scotch, Moet & Chandon champagne and other sought-after labels. Each case contained 12 bottles, and most of them went to rich Saudis.

"Three of the guys I delivered to are princes," Moss said in a phone interview from Australia where he now lives. "These guys are very powerful and have a lot of cash and there wasn't enough (liquor) for them. What would happen -- and it got a bit crazy toward the end -- they'd be phoning me at 3 and 4 in the morning when they were really drunk, hassling me to get more. There was never enough, the 100 cases would last about two weeks."

Moss was unloading 18 cases of whiskey a few days after the first bombing when he was caught by the mutaween, the Saudi religious police. Moss had heard it was easy to bribe one's way out of trouble so he kept 5,000 riyals -- about $1,400 -- on hand for such an occasion. But to his surprise he was hauled off to prison.

"I felt this was unusual, and the very first thing they said to me was, 'We know you planted bombs.' You could have knocked me down. I said, 'I'm happy to talk about alcohol but I know nothing about bombs.' They weren't interested in alcohol -- everything was related to these bombings."

The Saudis' efforts to pin the bombings on foreign bootleggers would soon become more difficult. By March 2001, several Westerners were in jail and in what were widely seen as forced confessions, three men admitted on TV to planting the bomb that killed Christopher Rodway.

They gave no motive and the bombings continued. That suggested there was some other group, or groups, behind them.

It's a well known fact the average Saudi drinks JD. And it's also a well known fact that Europeans and Americans are singled out as "Western Devils". The Mutaween would love nothing else then to turn the clock back 4 to 600 years. Progress scares them as it brengs along changes as well. A minority trying to dominate a majority.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:51 pm
UAE Expat

You can see why the average Saudi is pissed off!..
And I second that...
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:56 pm
Up in the air

It's a well known fact the average Saudi drinks JD. And it's also a well known fact that Europeans and Americans are singled out as "Western Devils". The Mutaween would love nothing else then to turn the clock back 4 to 600 years. Progress scares them as it brengs along changes as well. A minority trying to dominate a majority.
And legend has it that Saudi is the 4th biggest importer of Black Label.
What used to piss me off, was adhering to their practices,religion, fasting through Ramadan......only to drive to Manama on a Wednesday night and see thousand of them pissed out of their head dragging russian and filipino prostitutes to their hotels!

The checkpoint at Bahrain used to be a bloody nightmare..thousands of them trying to get in for a weekend of debauchery...yet when they return they act as if they are the purest of them all.
its all horse s#it
Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:02 pm
UAE Expat

And legend has it that Saudi is the 4th biggest importer of Black Label.
What used to piss me off, was adhering to their practices,religion, fasting through Ramadan......only to drive to Manama on a Wednesday night and see thousand of them pissed out of their head dragging russian and filipino prostitutes to their hotels!

The checkpoint at Bahrain used to be a bloody nightmare..thousands of them trying to get in for a weekend of debauchery...yet when they return they act as if they are the purest of them all.
its all horse s#it
Tell me about it? Landscaping wise the Saudi - Bahrain Causeway used to be my baby. And when I did the Bahraini side? I warned them "You don't know what's about to happen to you." I saw it open, I saw the Saudi's come back drunk in masses. It reached the point I told the consultant I considered it to dangerous for my people to maintain it. Pulled out completely. Johnie Walker is very popular in Saudi Arabia JD. My sponsor/partner hade the bad habbit of storing the stuff in my house, by the box full x 12
Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:13 pm
Up in the air

Tell me about it? Landscaping wise the Saudi - Bahrain Causeway used to be my baby. And when I did the Bahraini side? I warned them "You don't know what's about to happen to you." I saw it open, I saw the Saudi's come back drunk in masses. It reached the point I told the consultant I considered it to dangerous for my people to maintain it. Pulled out completely. Johnie Walker is very popular in Saudi Arabia JD. My sponsor/partner hade the bad habbit of storing the stuff in my house, by the box full x 12
Everybody does it...but nobody talks about it...when they are there!

I used to get vodka from a compound near Olaya...was easy. Im sure regular people and police turn a blind eye..its just the religious police that are a nightmare.

Was in a Saudi resturant the other night and saw two lads pouring vodka in their fruit cocktails when the staff were not looking. they knew i saw them but just grinned over at me.

Anyway, just about to go out and explore the resturants of Jeddah again tonight, so I gotta go...catch you all later.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:15 pm
UAE Expat

Everybody does it...but nobody talks about it...when they are there!

I used to get vodka from a compound near Olaya...was easy. Im sure regular people and police turn a blind eye..its just the religious police that are a nightmare.

Was in a Saudi resturant the other night and saw two lads pouring vodka in their fruit cocktails when the staff were not looking. they knew i saw them but just grinned over at me.

Anyway, just about to go out and explore the resturants of Jeddah again tonight, so I gotta go...catch you all later.
Have a good one JD
Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:41 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Try

http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/i...ank/PNBH2.html

Worldwide per capita income

Number 58 us Saudi

TRIN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.