Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Brief history of Saudi

Brief history of Saudi

Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:29 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brief history of Saudi

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
Oooops Yemens I mean. Sorry, doing three things at once on two computers.
Did not know this,
Do you have any more information on this??
My historical knowledge of this region is rather limited.

Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:32 pm
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Did not know this,

Thanks
It's been a dispute between the Saudi's and Yemens for a long time. It's also one of the reasons why Yemeni nationals are not allowed to travel freely throughout the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Go back to the pre-oil days of the Middle East. And yes, the Saudi's are scared sh*tless of what they call "The Yemen evil"
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:32 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Heres the true situ, follow the links

http://www.iags.org/n0331043.htm

http://www.csis.org/energy/040224_simmons.pdf
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:36 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a dispute between the Saudi's and Yemens for a long time. It's also one of the reasons why Yemeni nationals are not allowed to travel freely throughout the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Go back to the pre-oil days of the Middle East. And yes, the Saudi's are scared sh*tless of what they call "The Yemen evil"
Thanks TS,

I have some associates that are Omani, and they insist that Yemeni's are ******g hard!! not to mess with them.
Apparently they are fearless and resolute, and the only reason that they have not "kicked off" is because there lack of financial resources...which is why i tend to agree that once Saudi looses its oil then "things will happen"
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:38 pm
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Did not know this,

Thanks
Or to quote a Yemen warlord:

"It's is not the Saudi men I want... It is the women and childern who should not live to see tomorrow. By doing this? You kill evil at it's roots."

I guess that says it all right?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:41 pm
UAE Expat

Thanks TS,

I have some associates that are Omani, and they insist that Yemeni's are ******g hard!! not to mess with them.
Apparently they are fearless and resolute, and the only reason that they have not "kicked off" is because there lack of financial resources...which is why i tend to agree that once Saudi looses its oil then "things will happen"
And why do you think that not one of the "Royal Guards" is Saudi? There's not a Saudi the Bin Saud family trusts anymore thanks to the Yemeni's.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Brief history of Saudi revisitted

Anyone else got any input of either the Oil&Gas situation in the Middle East or the history of Saudi ??
Thanks JD, good to be back to the original topic,got your PM.
Will post soon, stuck at work with some crap...
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:54 pm
UAE Expat

Originally Posted by stormer
Hi Stormer,

Sorry to barge in on your reply to JD. But I liked what you wrote on Saudi's history. Have you ever looked into the incident that happened in Al Sihat? (If I spell it correctly) A little town inbetween Dammam and Jubail? Where the Saudi Airforce used helicopters to shoot at anything that moved? It would prove beyound a shadow of a doubt how devided Saudi Arabia really is, and howmany Saudi's would love to turn "Pro Western"

Frans
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:57 pm
Up in the air

No Worries, Thank TS.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future

Hi Stormer,

Sorry to barge in on your reply to JD. But I liked what you wrote on Saudi's history. Have you ever looked into the incident that happened in Al Sihat? (If I spell it correctly) A little town inbetween Dammam and Jubail? Where the Saudi Airforce used helicopters to shoot at anything that moved? It would prove beyound a shadow of a doubt how devided Saudi Arabia really is, and howmany Saudi's would love to turn "Pro Western"

Frans
Hi Frans
No, I did not hear about the incident but while we are on the topic of westernizing ME and Saudi i don’t know if that is entirely possible. What is the definition of the 'west'? McDonalds and MTV? The problem is that currently ME is being flooded with cheap, 'no-value' American type westernization which just strengthens radical resolve that anything from the west is evil. They open few KFC's, few shops and assume that's it. And for fear of being too direct on top of this I do not think that Islam as a religion is willing or ready to accept different values just yet. Having said all this I do not know what the solution is.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:13 pm
Up in the air

Hi Frans
No, I did not hear about the incident but while we are on the topic of westernizing ME and Saudi i don’t know if that is entirely possible. What is the definition of the 'west'? McDonalds and MTV? The problem is that currently ME is being flooded with cheap, 'no-value' American type westernization which just strengthens radical resolve that anything from the west is evil. They open few KFC's, few shops and assume that's it. And for fear of being too direct on top of this I do not think that Islam as a religion is willing or ready to accept different values just yet. Having said all this I do not know what the solution is.

It all depends on how each country interprets the Koran.

For example, From what i have been told, the Koran states that you should not enter a mosque whilst drunk..It does not say Alcohol should be banned.

It also says women should cover ther hair during prayer and be modest....but as we know each country has its on take on this.

From what i believe, Alcohol was legal in Saudi Until one of the princes killed a british diplomat.

Rather than the prince getting killed, they argued that the alcohol made him do it...so they banned it and the prince got off scott free.

Again..These are things i have been told over time, if anyone can verify or correct me, then please do.

rgds
JD
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:14 pm
UAE Expat

Hi Frans
What I mean with "Pro Western"? A life style where men an women can grow up as equals. Where one can vote, not being afraid of the consequences. Where you can own land (that can not be taken back by the royal family), where you can have a successful business (which can not be confiscated by the Royal family). And to prove my point? Where a Royal White Boeing 747 waits so that fire trucks can pass to put out a fire in a burning plane where 200+ people died. Or is the "White Boeing Incident" only know to the old expats on here?

Frans
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:19 pm
UAE Expat

It all depends on how each country interprets the Koran.

For example, From what i have been told, the Koran states that you should not enter a mosque whilst drunk..It does not say Alcohol should be banned.

It also says women should cover ther hair during prayer and be modest....but as we know each country has its on take on this.

From what i believe, Alcohol was legal in Saudi Until one of the princes killed a british diplomat.

Rather than the prince getting killed, they argued that the alcohol made him do it...so they banned it and the prince got off scott free.

Again..These are things i have been told over time, if anyone can verify or correct me, then please do.

rgds
JD

The Holy Koran also states, and I quote "To be a good Muslim, is also to be a good Christian... To be a good Jew... Etz." It is the Royal family that prevents this from being applied, not the average Saudi on the street. Don't forget that JD

Frans
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:20 pm
Up in the air

Hi Frans
I honestly dont think that the ME needs to be or should be westernised, we go to other continents to experience the difference.

HOWEVER!!!!
they DO need to learn TOLERANCE of other people and religions, the same way western countries do.

They DO need to stop extremism.

They also need to realise that the most of the world has managed to distinguish between political policies and religion, so that just because we would like the ME to favour democracy...it doesnt mean they have to embrace christianity.

This is the trouble when a countries legal/judicial system, government policy and religion are one of the same.

You cannot adopt any changes without upsetting devout hard-liners.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

What I mean with "Pro Western"? A life style where men an women can grow up as equals. Where one can vote, not being afraid of the consequences. Where you can own land (that can not be taken back by the royal family), where you can have a successful business (which can not be confiscated by the Royal family). And to prove my point? Where a Royal White Boeing 747 waits so that fire trucks can pass to put out a fire in a burning plane where 200+ people died. Or is the "White Boeing Incident" only know to the old expats on here?

Frans
Agree. I would not even go as far as defining these as western values. They are basic human right values.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.