Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Boxes to be shipped without Visa ?

Boxes to be shipped without Visa ?

Old Feb 9th 2017, 5:55 am
Just Joined

hichicham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boxes to be shipped without Visa ?

Hi all!

I have used AngloPacific services to send a few boxes from London, which they collected last week. In the meantime, I have asked my employer to send me the Visa, as it was required by AngloPacific. As I will be starting the 12/02/2017, they sent me an Entry Permit which is valid for 2 months, until I get the Resident Visa.
When I forwarded it to AngloPacific, they told me it is very likely that my boxes will not cross the border because they need "a stamped Visa on your passport", so they will have to store it in London until I get my Visa ready !!
Is this true? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:02 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boxes to be shipped without Visa ?

I suspect that this could well be the case. When we moved from Dubai to Oman we had to provide copies of our passport data pages and copies of the visa stamped in our passport to the removal company before they could arrange for shipment of our belongings to Muscat.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the red tape BS of the Middle East!
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

When moving to Doha, we were advised that our container would only be processed through customs once i had my residency completed and stamped in my passport. With a bit of persuasion the shipping company sent the container on its way without the paperwork, but luckily the visa was processed just in time.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 7:05 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has just moved back from London to Dubai to start her new job here. Not sure which firm she used, but she shipped 8 boxes while she was still in London and the freight company transported them without issue.

The condition is that she has a residence visa at the time when the boxes go through UAE customs (which she now has). I think the boxes are arriving early next week and the freight forwarder has already begun the paperwork.

Hope it helps.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
My daughter has just moved back from London to Dubai to start her new job here. Not sure which firm she used, but she shipped 8 boxes while she was still in London and the freight company transported them without issue.

The condition is that she has a residence visa at the time when the boxes go through UAE customs (which she now has). I think the boxes are arriving early next week and the freight forwarder has already begun the paperwork.

Hope it helps.
I concur with the above two posters, you don't need residency to send them, just show a passport with a valid visa in to collect. When I did it there was no requirement for residency - although that may have changed and mine was a 40' container.

Last edited by IKnowNothing; Feb 9th 2017 at 7:59 am.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 8:22 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hichicham
Hi all!

I have used AngloPacific services to send a few boxes from London, which they collected last week. In the meantime, I have asked my employer to send me the Visa, as it was required by AngloPacific. As I will be starting the 12/02/2017, they sent me an Entry Permit which is valid for 2 months, until I get the Resident Visa.
When I forwarded it to AngloPacific, they told me it is very likely that my boxes will not cross the border because they need "a stamped Visa on your passport", so they will have to store it in London until I get my Visa ready !!
Is this true? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Umm, boxes to be shipped where exactly? Might help with getting a useful answer... FWIW, I'm pretty sure I got my belongings cleared in Dubai before I had my residency permit (though it is over a decade ago)
Old Feb 10th 2017, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

I shipped all my stuff to Abu Dhabi before I left and without a visa. They just needed a destination address (I gave a hotel address and will update it before it arrives) and a copy of my UK passport.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

hichicham is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks all for your reply!! I think I'll give it a go and see how it goes.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

chipie is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested to know what companies people have used to ship over say 25kg parcels and/or cases?

I need to send over some additional clothes and wondered if it was best sending these a a boxed parcel with parcelmonkey/dhl etc or using someone like sendmybag.com and putting it in a suitcase?

Any advice based on experience would be appreciated.

Chip