Black Points Query - Wife Driving Rental Car

Black Points Query - Wife Driving Rental Car

Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Black Points Query - Wife Driving Rental Car

Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone could give any advice on the following:

Rented a car when I first arrived in Abu Dhabi back in September 2017. I rented the car in my name with my UAE licence, and added my wife as an additional driver with her U.K. Licence as she didn't yet have a residents visa and so was on a tourist visa.

I've just purchased a car today, and so went down to return the hire car (I've just been paying a monthly rolling fee and extending the agreement on a monthly basis). I was informed that I have a fine for going through a red light. The fine was 1000 AED to which they've added 120 admin type fee. They've also charged my 3000 AED plus admin of 360 AED for "Not Impounding Charge" - apparently a red light violation comes with a fine and impounding of the car, the car hire company have decided to just pay 3000AED instead of impounding and charge me accordingly.

This all happened at the end of September, but no one notified me, and I only found out this afternoon. After some research, I've discovered that I was actually overseas when this offense took place, and so my wife was driving at the time.

So, in summary, I've now got 12 black points for a violation I didn't commit, and a 3360 AED fine for not impounding the car, which I didn't agree to and there is no mention of waiving right to impound charges on my terms and conditions/rental agreement. I've spoken with the police who were really nice and helpful, and basically explained that I can't now transfer points to my wife's licence (I drive every day here, sometimes over an hour and half each way, my wife drives once every 2 months maximum so she's better having her own points, also it's the honest thing to do!) because effectively paying the fine closes the issue so it's kind of out of their hands, even though I was never informed of a fine by the rental company, nor was I given the option to explain who was driving at the time - the rental company just went ahead and paid.

The rental company have told me that as per my terms and conditions, whoever's name the rental agreement is under takes the points regardless of who's driving, and that the impound charge is also in the terms however they've been unable to point me in the direct of these specific terms as yet.

Sorry for the long post, just wondered if anyone has any advice/experiences/tips on how to proceed. As I say, my wife wants to get everything in order and put the points on her licence as it's the right thing to do. I also now have 12 black points meaning I'm on thin ice for the next 7 months. We'd like to swap the points to her licence, however, another issue being that she had her U.K. Licence on the rental agreement and was using this at the time of the offense, so I don't know how that would affect a point transfer.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by JCoop; Jan 14th 2018 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Points Query - Wife Driving Rental Car

As you have now been in the Middle East for several months, this no doubt was not the first time, nor will it be the last, that you are the victim of someone else's incompetence.

For the most part I think you are stuck. I am surprised about the fine - I had a similar rolling lease, but always went into the office to pay each month rather than do an automatic debit, and if I had a fine I was always told. I was driving 5,000 to 6,000 kms every month so it never made sense to buy a car. Fines don't usually come through right away, it can sometimes take a few weeks, but not months. However I never ran a red light so I don't know if that kind of fine is treated differently. However, at no point was I ever asked who was driving, it was just here is the fine, pay up please.

Ask your Arab Expatriate colleagues about it, and see what they say. They drive each other's cars all the time and at some point surely someone has gotten a fine and/or black points on someone else's car, and it got settled someway somehow. Also next time you need to speak to the Police, take a trusted Arab Expatriate with you; there is a greater chance they will take the conversation with the officers in a direction that it needs to go in.

Good luck.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carcajou
As you have now been in the Middle East for several months, this no doubt was not the first time, nor will it be the last, that you are the victim of someone else's incompetence.

For the most part I think you are stuck. I am surprised about the fine - I had a similar rolling lease, but always went into the office to pay each month rather than do an automatic debit, and if I had a fine I was always told. I was driving 5,000 to 6,000 kms every month so it never made sense to buy a car. Fines don't usually come through right away, it can sometimes take a few weeks, but not months. However I never ran a red light so I don't know if that kind of fine is treated differently. However, at no point was I ever asked who was driving, it was just here is the fine, pay up please.

Ask your Arab Expatriate colleagues about it, and see what they say. They drive each other's cars all the time and at some point surely someone has gotten a fine and/or black points on someone else's car, and it got settled someway somehow. Also next time you need to speak to the Police, take a trusted Arab Expatriate with you; there is a greater chance they will take the conversation with the officers in a direction that it needs to go in.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response - really appreciate it!

Every month the rental company would contact me via telephone or email and ask if I wanted to extend, and they would attach an invoice showing and Salek charges applicable. The rental company claim they only just received the fine, however the invoice they printed for me shows the fine happened end of September and their invoice was received in October so they've known since then which is unfortunate that they didn't inform me, considering I've been in the office 3 times since.

The police were honestly very helpful and understanding, the officer had good English and seemed to understand my issue fully, but I take on board your comment regarding bringing a native Arabic speaker.

I'll definitely ask my colleagues about any similar issues and see if someone can assist. The fine's are frustrating enough, but the points is the real annoyance because as I say, if I make one more mistake or my wife does on this rental car then I'm banned (I think 24 points is a ban) and I drive a lot for work.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 15th 2018, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Suck it up as it is not going to change!
Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a rental as I drive a lot of miles and constantly get fines. These come in on a monthly basis and are marked on my invoice. The hire car company checks at the end of every month for each car they have, pay them off and charge the user.

As for the points and the impounding fee, that's dirty. A few years ago I got 12 points, 1,000 fine and an month impounding. So off my rental went for a little holiday for that month. They shouldn't have assumed and paid the fine without checking with you. That said, if you were out of the country and not contactable they may have been a bit stuck. I know that more serious fines like this can affect the hire car companies dealing with the RTA if left open and pending so they may have just wiped it off to prevent difficulties for them.

Sure you can transfer them before they are issued, I didn't know you could after.

FYI. You can go to a driving education day (or at least you used to be able to). It was 200 dibs and knocks 2 points a day off up to a maximum of 3 or 4 days.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i had an incident where a mate of mine was driving my car and got a speeding fine along with some points.....we simply took his DL to the RTA and the points were transferred to his DL.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
i had an incident where a mate of mine was driving my car and got a speeding fine along with some points.....we simply took his DL to the RTA and the points were transferred to his DL.
Followed by the friendship being dissolved....
Old Jan 17th 2018, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Suck it up as it is not going to change!
Oh ye of little faith - a positive attitude can go a long way!

Just to give an update, I've now had the points removed from my licence, after speaking with some very nice police officers!

The advice above about bringing someone who speaks Arabic would've been great, unfortunately this wasn't possible so I did the next best thing; wrote down everything and got it translated into Arabic and addressed the letter to the relevant police department. This really helped as I could clearly explain everything in detail.

As I said, police were really good, patient and understanding and helped resolve the situation, I feel the Arabic letter helped a lot !
Old Jan 17th 2018, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I drive a rental as I drive a lot of miles and constantly get fines. These come in on a monthly basis and are marked on my invoice. The hire car company checks at the end of every month for each car they have, pay them off and charge the user.

As for the points and the impounding fee, that's dirty. A few years ago I got 12 points, 1,000 fine and an month impounding. So off my rental went for a little holiday for that month. They shouldn't have assumed and paid the fine without checking with you. That said, if you were out of the country and not contactable they may have been a bit stuck. I know that more serious fines like this can affect the hire car companies dealing with the RTA if left open and pending so they may have just wiped it off to prevent difficulties for them.

Sure you can transfer them before they are issued, I didn't know you could after.

FYI. You can go to a driving education day (or at least you used to be able to). It was 200 dibs and knocks 2 points a day off up to a maximum of 3 or 4 days.
Haha firstly, I just wanna say I love the fact you casually drop in "I constantly get fines" - made me laugh!

Yeah I thought it was a bit fly of them, and they ain't no small rental company there international recognized name. The fine came in end of September, turns out they paid it 2 weeks later, but didn't inform me, via email until 2 months after it's been paid ! So I had no chance to respond! There's no mention on my terms and conditions about me agreeing to pay impounding charges in the event, so I'm going to go tomorrow and highlight that and see how I get on! The main thing was the points, so I'm glad I managed to get those removed!

Thanks for the response though, really appreciate the help! This has given me further ammunition to go and try make my point with the rental company !
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

A good outcome, I happy for you that things worked out.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

JCOOP is a man on a mission
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JCoop
Haha firstly, I just wanna say I love the fact you casually drop in "I constantly get fines" - made me laugh!
It's true! How else do you think Dubai Police managed to afford those super cars!

Got another one this morning on the E88 or 89 coming into Dhaid.... Grrr!
Old Jan 17th 2018, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCoop
Oh ye of little faith - a positive attitude can go a long way!

Just to give an update, I've now had the points removed from my licence, after speaking with some very nice police officers!

The advice above about bringing someone who speaks Arabic would've been great, unfortunately this wasn't possible so I did the next best thing; wrote down everything and got it translated into Arabic and addressed the letter to the relevant police department. This really helped as I could clearly explain everything in detail.

As I said, police were really good, patient and understanding and helped resolve the situation, I feel the Arabic letter helped a lot !
Great thinking and good job. I'd have bet against you succeeding.

Not sure how I feel about throwing the fairer sex under the bus though.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jam25mack
It's true! How else do you think Dubai Police managed to afford those super cars!

Got another one this morning on the E88 or 89 coming into Dhaid.... Grrr!
i got flashed yesterday morning while driving into work with one of those remote cameras