Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Best buildings in downtown dubai

Best buildings in downtown dubai

Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best buildings in downtown dubai

Originally Posted by Scamp
Half bed OR 1 or 2 bed?

Downtown -
Residences are nice,
Burj Views are but the 1beds can be small and a funny shape.
Lofts - same as Burj Views.
Southridge nice too. Again, can have funny shape, but generally nice.
Old Town - 1beds are small and dark. Not sure on 2beds.

They are all the ones I know.
all the above are in poor condition
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I won't dispute much of what you say except to point out that 1-bedrooms are always at a premium due to the higher demand. When you get to the 2 and 3 bedrooms then the savings differential substantially increases.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Interesting - even factoring in AC charges, my all in cost (2 beds) is about 23k AED less than my mate in Burj Views. My place is brand new and about 50% bigger - his must be on its 5th tenancy. The higher quality argument soon falls apart when you realise, that (a) while the materials are ok, it was assembled by the shittest labour you can find and (b) its had multiple tenants in there.

I'm about a 600m walk from his place and face the canal, have no traffic issues and can walk to two different bars in about 5 mins. You soon reliase that no matter where you live when you go out, you get in a taxi.

All that said - I'd probably say that for a first time newbie, you're best off starting in the posh-student accommodation that is the lofts.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Yeah, that's what I thought. Cheaper BB rent + cooling charges = might as well live in Downtown.

Will say you do likely get more space for your money in BB than Downtown, as Emaar apartments are small.
As an example, Executive Towers are not Emaar 'quality' in terms of finish but they're far from shit. We're astounded at the amount of money people pay to live in dark, tatty, 700sqft shoeboxes on Emaar Boulevard.

I can't get my head around how you think spending more for less is better? Has someone hijacked your account or is it just to disagree with me?

All that said - I'd probably say that for a first time newbie, you're best off starting in the posh-student accommodation that is the lofts.
At least there aren't 10-15 new towers being built in Downtown at the moment. The traffic is only going to improve.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:39 am
Just Joined

newbie123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mission
all the above are in poor condition
So are there any buildings in good condition? All the apartments I can see on property websites seem to be pretty dingy/ bad condition.

Given there is always so much construction going on, I would have thought there would be loads of new buildings but I haven't really spotted any in Downtown yet.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

the thing is, and this goes for the majority of the apartments/buildings in Dubai regardless of location and developer, once an apartment becomes more than 3-4 years old it starts to deteriorate - unless the owner has made sure the apartment has been maintained in prime condition.
Apartments which have been lived in for more than 5 yrs i wouldn't even touch with a barge pole.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I wouldn't live in either Downtown or BB. I don't find BB pretty (it's downright ugly and dusty) and I like Downtown bette because it's groomed and landscaped and has many more amenities right at your door and you can easily walk over to the Dubai Mall. I don't need 1k if a 700sqft apartment in a better location serves my needs better. I also like that I wouldn't have to faff around with a/c charges and a separate account and deposits with the district cooling. Or have to buy my own white goods whilst Emaar buildings have them provided. Emaar also keep the whole place spic and span and the buildings tend to have better pools / gyms. So I can easily see why many pay the extra to be in Downtown.

But as mentioned, wouldn't live in either areas at current asking rent.

Originally Posted by Scamp
As an example, Executive Towers are not Emaar 'quality' in terms of finish but they're far from shit. We're astounded at the amount of money people pay to live in dark, tatty, 700sqft shoeboxes on Emaar Boulevard.

I can't get my head around how you think spending more for less is better? Has someone hijacked your account or is it just to disagree with me?

At least there aren't 10-15 new towers being built in Downtown at the moment. The traffic is only going to improve.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah. Have to agree with this.

Wear and tear in Dubai is terrible.

In Downtown, the newer buildings should still be ok - Standpoint and Claren towers are two that come to mind.

Originally Posted by mission
the thing is, and this goes for the majority of the apartments/buildings in Dubai regardless of location and developer, once an apartment becomes more than 3-4 years old it starts to deteriorate - unless the owner has made sure the apartment has been maintained in prime condition.
Apartments which have been lived in for more than 5 yrs i wouldn't even touch with a barge pole.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newbie123
So are there any buildings in good condition? All the apartments I can see on property websites seem to be pretty dingy/ bad condition.

Given there is always so much construction going on, I would have thought there would be loads of new buildings but I haven't really spotted any in Downtown yet.
Just visit them. They are all much of a muchness and one emaar flat looks like every other. All this talk of 'higher quality' is total nonsense though - it all falls apart by the third tenant and these places are old.

Downtown is ok, but the truth is you'll venture further afield. You won't be walking down the street buying your paper, milk and eggs for breakfast in hipster jeans saying hi to the local store keepers every weekend like you would in Putney.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Just visit them. They are all much of a muchness and one emaar flat looks like every other. All this talk of 'higher quality' is total nonsense though - it all falls apart by the third tenant and these places are old.

Downtown is ok, but the truth is you'll venture further afield. You won't be walking down the street buying your paper, milk and eggs for breakfast in hipster jeans saying hi to the local store keepers every weekend like you would in Putney.
Haha! that made me laugh... although i agree and totally understand. I would like to be able to get out and about a bit near my flat. I think its doable in JBR despite all its other issues.

Are there any other communities similar to JBR (near a beach somewhere maybe?).

I am trying to do my research online but answers from this forum are better and certainly more entertaining

Really appreciate everyones thoughts!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Haha! that made me laugh... although i agree and totally understand. I would like to be able to get out and about a bit near my flat. I think its doable in JBR despite all its other issues.

Are there any other communities similar to JBR (near a beach somewhere maybe?).

I am trying to do my research online but answers from this forum are better and certainly more entertaining

Really appreciate everyones thoughts!
Just remember that for half your tenancy you won't want to be strolling around much anyway...
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

JBR...... now we are talking about rundown! Som great sized apartments in there but the whole place is a soul less legoland where they haven't done any maintenance in years.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jam25mack
JBR...... now we are talking about rundown! Som great sized apartments in there but the whole place is a soul less legoland where they haven't done any maintenance in years.
soulless lego land.... any places in Dubai you would describe differently?

I liked the idea of being close to the beach in order to have some outdoor activity (for a few months of the year at least!), but the apartments are not great and it doesn't seem worth the commute to Downtown.

Anyone on here living in Downtown? Please share your experience about the buildings. I'm focusing on new builds in the Downtown area but surprisingly the Marina seems to have some bigger apartments.

Also is Dubizzle the best place to go to for property rentals?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:21 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

You might consider the Views ( as in the Views and the Greens) especially the buildings nearer to SZR - Golf Towers 1 + 2 and even some buildings in The Greens - all Emaar buildings, well maintained but not near beach.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I was going to suggest the Greens too. Nice area and convenient to everywhere. Small community shopping area with a supermarket so walking to get your coffee and groceries is feasible. Lovely landscaping.

Fairways has one of the best pool complexes in Dubai. Golf Towers is the best quality and still has a decent pool. Both towers have great views. Links is in between.

I wouldn't sweat not being right on the beach. If you have a car it's better to go to the open beaches in Jumeirah than the dirty beaches of JBR and it's only 10 minutes from most places along Sheikh Zayed (whether Greens or Downtown).

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
You might consider the Views ( as in the Views and the Greens) especially the buildings nearer to SZR - Golf Towers 1 + 2 and even some buildings in The Greens - all Emaar buildings, well maintained but not near beach.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:27 am
Account Closed

Anyone on here living in Downtown? Please share your experience about the buildings. I'm focusing on new builds in the Downtown area but surprisingly the Marina seems to have some bigger apartments.
Two different sets of friends have lived in Burj Views. First was years ago and I was jealous, lovely apartment.

Most recent left last year, less jealous. Apartment was tired, cupboards broken and generally a bit worn. Common areas alright, but again, bit tired. Worst thing was the security and rules. Emaar permissions to move in and out aren't as easy to get as other buildings, but maybe my mate just dealt with someone particularly special. Had to have an argument at 5 or 6am once with security about filling my car with about 5 boxes, couple of suitcases and some other bits to take to a flea market. He wouldn't let them out the building without a permit for 'moving items'. Shit like that can swivel.

The Residences (I think) we're really nice, mate was in there. Good size. Check them out

Dubizzle is the only source.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.