Banking Help

Old Nov 25th 2016, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

chipie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking Help

Hello Forum People!

I have just accepted a job offer in Dubai, heading out early March and looking for a little more advice over and above what I have managed to figure out already. I'll start with the boring stuff and leave the more exciting bars/cars/food questions to later if you don't mind?!

So with regards banking, I will need a local current account to have salary paid into and also will need a small kick start loan to see me through the first couple of months; so

- What would be your recommendations on a local bank?

- Is it possible to set up an account prior to arriving and what would I need to do so?

- Given it is possible to set up an account before arrival, what are the chances of setting up a loan before arrival?

- Do you guys generally use FX companies to transfer money home, if so which do you recommend?

- Is it worth (also possible) having a sterling account in UAE?

Thanks in advance and look forward to getting to know you all.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking Help

Originally Posted by chipie
Hello Forum People!

I have just accepted a job offer in Dubai, heading out early March and looking for a little more advice over and above what I have managed to figure out already. I'll start with the boring stuff and leave the more exciting bars/cars/food questions to later if you don't mind?!

So with regards banking, I will need a local current account to have salary paid into and also will need a small kick start loan to see me through the first couple of months; so

- What would be your recommendations on a local bank? None, they're all as bad as each other, sadly you'll have to go with one of them

- Is it possible to set up an account prior to arriving and what would I need to do so?Only a savings account and the hassle is just not worth it, IF you can

- Given it is possible to set up an account before arrival, what are the chances of setting up a loan before arrival?Nope, it's not

- Do you guys generally use FX companies to transfer money home, if so which do you recommend?Dunno

- Is it worth (also possible) having a sterling account in UAE? Yes

Thanks in advance and look forward to getting to know you all.
See above. I'd caution on you coming here with nothing and needing a loan immediately, that has failure written all over it.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get a loan until you have been in employment for at least six months.

Rather than a Sterling account here (not that easily available) you'd be better off having an offshore bank account in USD and GBP.

PM me if you want more info and I'll also give you details of my contacts at an FX company. (A UK regulated one that I refer all my clients to.)
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:13 am
Just Joined

chipie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for advice so far, I will definitely PM you Meow when I have the requisite number of posts.

The loan is a choice not a necessity, I figure its more cost effective than exchanging GBP to AED at current exchange rate. Have just seen that Emirates NBD do a 'Loan for New to Country / New to Employment', but doesn't give much more information.

Last edited by chipie; Nov 26th 2016 at 10:16 am.