Bali

Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bali

Originally Posted by rushman
Thank god they did. All through Wellingtons campaigns through India and the Peninsula wars the Scottish regiments gained an impressive reputation for their tenacity, ferocity and plain old "guts".

I always wondered why after giving him such fantastic service throughout India and The Peninsula wars, Wellington chose to describe the rank and file of the British Army as "The scum of the Earth"!!

Ungrateful bastard!!

Didn't the Germans in WWI call 'em "the Ladies from Hell?"
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rushman
Thank god they did. All through Wellingtons campaigns through India and the Peninsula wars the Scottish regiments gained an impressive reputation for their tenacity, ferocity and plain old "guts".

I always wondered why after giving him such fantastic service throughout India and The Peninsula wars, Wellington chose to describe the rank and file of the British Army as "The scum of the Earth"!!

Ungrateful bastard!!

The scum of the earth was a term of endearment, and Wellington was very popular as a General.

In the Spanish Peninsula he twice threw officers out of a building and placed the wounded rank & file in there instead.

I thought the ladies from Hell was a term Ray used for Cindy, Leslie & Lisa in the US forums ?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
The scum of the earth was a term of endearment, and Wellington was very popular as a General.

In the Spanish Peninsula he twice threw officers out of a building and placed the wounded rank & file in there instead.

I thought the ladies from Hell was a term Ray used for Cindy, Leslie & Lisa in the US forums ?

He calls us Ladies????!!!!! We've come up in the world!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Didn't the Germans in WWI call 'em "the Ladies from Hell?"
Never heard that before but i like it!!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy

I know he was popular and called "Old nosey" albeit affectionately behind his back. However, I am sure when he initially called them "Scum of the Earth" he was absolutely serious as they had just won the battle of either Badajoz or Salamanca (cant remember) and then completely sacked the city, killing survivors,raping the women and looting.

It was a some months later, sometime after the seige at Burgos (or Vittoria) that during an officers dinner he exclaimed that the troops were "Scum of the Earth......but I would not choose to lead any other Army into battle". Therefore redeeming himself somewhat.