British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Bahrain compounds (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/bahrain-compounds-905277/)

Cal83 Oct 30th 2017 10:41 pm

Bahrain compounds

Hi all, I live and work in the Uk but have been offered a job in Bahrain with the oportunity for my wife, 4 year old son and I to relocate. The company have offered me a villa in one of four Haji hassan compounds ( Hani gardens, Jalal gardens, Maitham gardens or Kharlil gardens) has anyone any had any experience of any of these and have any comments?
Any advice / experiences greatly appreciated.

sicklyman Oct 31st 2017 9:40 am

Re: Bahrain compounds

I've not heard of those. Do you know which are they're in or can you find them on Google Maps? You should avoid areas north of the Budaiya highway unless you're happy to allow the locals to fight in your neighbourhood from time to time... which may mean you can't get home or leave home for short periods.

scrubbedexpat100 Oct 31st 2017 2:04 pm

Can't find much info on any of them to be honest? First one seems to have been built around 1975.
Hani Gardens is located just off Budaiya Hwy near the American Mission Hospital.
Jalal and Maitham Gardens are in A'ali, with Jalal being nearer to the Burial Mounds.
Can't find Kharlil Gardens?
If you don't rent one of the company villas, have they mentioned how much your housing allowance would be? There are lots of houses, in or out of compounds available to rent in Bahrain.
Do you have a school set up for your 4 year old? I'd be looking for a convenient location to rent near the school and/or your work, then it is less of daily drive for the school run.

Cal83 Oct 31st 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks.

Yes I've struggled to find much info on them also. If I don't take a company villa I'll have a BD 1,000 allowance for housing. Was hoping their villa's would suit as fully paid but get the feeling they're not as popular as others.

I've only just been offered job and fly out this Saturday to look around so not fully decided on schools. Obviously I've read that St Christopher's and British School of Bahrain are good, although not sure if they might be a bit too academic for my little one? Someone said Nadeen? Is a bit more play orientated for the young ones which is what my child is used to and thrives on, he's very hands on and imaginative.

I guess when I'm out and see the area I'll be working and start to consider schools it may become easier to make a decision.

scrubbedexpat100 Oct 31st 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cal83 (Post 12371854)
Thanks.

Yes I've struggled to find much info on them also. If I don't take a company villa I'll have a BD 1,000 allowance for housing. Was hoping their villa's would suit as fully paid but get the feeling they're not as popular as others.

I've only just been offered job and fly out this Saturday to look around so not fully decided on schools. Obviously I've read that St Christopher's and British School of Bahrain are good, although not sure if they might be a bit too academic for my little one? Someone said Nadeen? Is a bit more play orientated for the young ones which is what my child is used to and thrives on, he's very hands on and imaginative.

I guess when I'm out and see the area I'll be working and start to consider schools it may become easier to make a decision.

Can't help you with schools unfortunately, if you're on Facebook there is a Mums in Bahrain group where you might find some up to date advise.

When you are checking out rentals, make sure to ask if they are exclusive or inclusive of utilities etc... (rental inclusive = all bills are paid for by the landlord)

sicklyman Nov 1st 2017 9:08 am

I don't think rental inclusive for villas is allowed anymore. There were changes in the last year to this.

scrubbedexpat100 Nov 1st 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by sicklyman (Post 12372429)
I don't think rental inclusive for villas is allowed anymore. There were changes in the last year to this.

We signed an inclusive rental for our villa this year, still lots advertised as such too?

sicklyman Nov 3rd 2017 12:43 pm

yeah actually just speaking to a friend today who said he's just signed an inclusive deal for a villa so I got that wrong. Maybe it was for flats, not villas.

Anyway, to the OP, don't sign anything for accommodation until you see it with your own eyes.

scrubbedexpat100 Nov 3rd 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by sicklyman (Post 12373981)
yeah actually just speaking to a friend today who said he's just signed an inclusive deal for a villa so I got that wrong. Maybe it was for flats, not villas.

Anyway, to the OP, don't sign anything for accommodation until you see it with your own eyes.

There was some talk last year that more landlords were going to set caps on the utilities with inclusive rentals? We've been lucky in that aspect!

Yes Sicklyman, it's amazing how 'Great' a place can look online, but when you see the place in person, it looks nothing like the photos, not just in Bahrain - worldwide!

Millhouse Nov 4th 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Mammabear (Post 12374334)
Yes Sicklyman, it's amazing how 'Great' a place can look online, but when you see the place in person, it looks nothing like the photos, not just in Bahrain - worldwide!

Not just houses either. Tinder is a minefield.

scrubbedexpat100 Nov 4th 2017 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12374519)

I'll have to take your word on that one Millhouse 😏 I've been happily married for 30 years!

weasel decentral Nov 6th 2017 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12374519)

In both cases it generally won't matter when the lights are off ;)