Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

BAE Systems - Sara Garden Village - Dhahran

BAE Systems - Sara Garden Village - Dhahran

Old Oct 5th 2015, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

TheTrailingSpouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BAE Systems - Sara Garden Village - Dhahran

My husband has just been offered a job working for BAE Systems and we are deciding whether or not to take it. Main concerns are me being able to accompany him. He initially has to sign a contract accepting to go over unaccompanied and then apply for me to join him.

Does anyone on here live on Sara Garden Village compound or know someone who does? Could they give me a list of pros and cons to life out there?

Old Oct 6th 2015, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BAE Systems - Sara Garden Village - Dhahran

Don't live there but have been there a few times. It's compact and secure but out of town in the middle of nowhere quite a taxi ride from anything. It has a lot of leisure facilities including Olympic-sized swimming pool, bowling alley and more bars than you could ever possibly imagine (not all of it homebrew either). The housing is your standard fairly large two storey villa. Most villas back onto a landscaped area with a small pool in each area and then a larger community pool where the main restaurant/leisure complex is.

It all seemed a bit drab to me though. I could put you in touch with someone who I know there (another wife) if you PM me your contact details.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that sicklyman. I've been to Saudi before as my dad worked there when I was younger and "drab" is a description I would use for all the compounds we lived on in Riyadh and Jeddah ha ha. If there's a pool and bars and a gym then I'm happy days to be honest but it would be great to speak to someone who actually lives there to get their opinion of how its isolated nature impacts day to day. >and it would be great if she could contact me to give me some advice. Thanks!

P.s. which compound do you live on and what is better about it? Just the location? And are you a member of HHH or any running clubs?

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 6th 2015 at 11:29 am. Reason: please don't put email addresses on the open forum attracts spammers
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:53 am
Just Joined

I can't give my email address here and I can't PM you so I don't know how I can give you my contact details
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Scrap that sicklyman. I've been able to PM you. Thanks again!

Anyone else got any advice re Dhahran/BAE/Sara compound?

Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheTrailingSpouse
Scrap that sicklyman. I've been able to PM you. Thanks again!

Anyone else got any advice re Dhahran/BAE/Sara compound?

Just wanted to say glad the pm workedin the end

Oh - and welcome to BE
Old Oct 6th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Nice warning out there just now from the US embassy regarding a hit on western compound in the eastern province. Not to put a dampener on it :-)
Old Oct 6th 2015, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Nice warning out there just now from the US embassy regarding a hit on western compound in the eastern province. Not to put a dampener on it :-)
That does put rather a large dampener on it. Oh dear.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Wear yor Ron hill union jack shorts and you will be fine. Threat is actually against compounds housing yanks
Old Oct 6th 2015, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

I don't think Brits will be exempt. We've done a fair amount of p****ng off Arab nations ourselves over the last few years eh. Might mean we the the job down to be honest. Not worth the risk. � ����
Old Oct 6th 2015, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Turn the job down that should have read and the symbol wasn't anything dodgy. It was just a sad face emoticon.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

those warnings are issued regularly on a repeat basis. It's the middle east.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
those warnings are issued regularly on a repeat basis. It's the middle east.
Well first off I wouldn't turn the job down however baas Milly, whilst general warnings against western interests are routine and have been for yonks, when was the last one specifically against compounds housing yanks ?? Me thinks a while. Doing my regular visit to the eastern province next week so busy searching the net for 4XL Ron hill union jack shorts but they stopped making them !!!!! Why you you stop making the thing that made the company especially in my hour of need ?

Last edited by Tockalosh; Oct 7th 2015 at 12:13 am.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

And there are far fewer dodgy extreme Muslims in saudi plotting to kill infidels than there probably are in Preston and Blackburn. Only beloved Lythym is safe from the bad people

Last edited by Tockalosh; Oct 7th 2015 at 12:19 am. Reason: Yes it's 4AM, I'm awake after the regular piss in the middle of the night but my eyes haven't woken up yet. Welcome to gettin
Old Oct 7th 2015, 7:29 am
Just Joined

I think we need to get more information before coming to a decision. I'd feel a lot more secure if we were going to the UAE but I think Saudi deserves a little more caution and thought. We can get the "official" line from the gov.uk website and get reassurances from HR personnel who will be safely tucked up in their beds at night back in England while we're out on some compound in Saudi. None of this information will be particularly useful upon which to base a decision.

What I need is advice from those who are out in the eastern province (and so thanks for your input Tockalosh). Anyone else who has visited or preferably lives in the area or specifically on Sara got any advice?

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.