Reload this Page >

Background checks.

Background checks.

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 3:28 am
Just Joined

jim.d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Background checks.

Hello,

I am a British national and have been offered work in Saudi on MOD bases for a UK company.

I have a police record around 28-30 years ago for being in a stolen vehicle and drunk and disorderly for both I am truly ashamed. Both were fines and not custodial.
I am in 2 minds whether to admit it and lose the job or just keep quiet.
I am guessing given the position in on MOD bases they will check my past but would like to be working again after a period out of work.

Will my visa application be rejected even after this long period?
Would a company still apply for a visa on my behalf or just dismiss it out of hand?.. and so it may be better to say for my own personal reasons i will not take the position?

Thank you for any feedback.
Kind Regards.

Last edited by jim.d; Nov 2nd 2017 at 3:33 am. Reason: More info
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Background checks.

Seems you have nothing to gain by disclosing it.

If you disclose you fear that you won't get the job. If you don't disclose they may not find it or may not care about it. In this event they will probably ask you about it anyway.

Worst case is you don't disclose and you don't get it. Which would probably be the same outcome as if you disclose it.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Seems you have nothing to gain by disclosing it.

If you disclose you fear that you won't get the job. If you don't disclose they may not find it or may not care about it. In this event they will probably ask you about it anyway.

Worst case is you don't disclose and you don't get it. Which would probably be the same outcome as if you disclose it.
Thank you Millhouse,

I have received the company form and it is a question asked with a note saying it may affect your visa at a later date.
I have read information on the internet and some say *just keep quiet* while another said *Saudi is last place I would like to be arrested for not disclosing it*
While it is my final decision, i was just hoping for another opinion from someone who has more experience.

Thank you again.

Last edited by jim.d; Nov 2nd 2017 at 5:18 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jim.d
Thank you Millhouse,

I have received the company form and it is a question asked with a note saying it may affect your visa at a later date.
I have read information on the internet and some say *just keep quiet* while another said *Saudi is last place I would like to be arrested for not disclosing it*
While it is my final decision, i was just hoping for another opinion from someone who has more experience.

Thank you again.
Unlikely they would arrest you. You just won't get a visa. There is no appeal and you just have to leave.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Unlikely they would arrest you. You just won't get a visa. There is no appeal and you just have to leave.
Thank you again, so the company would lose out as i understand it... on flights etc. I could really let that knowingly happen. I would lose my reputation also.

Last question, do you know the time from arriving into Saudi to processing the visa just out of interest?

Thank you.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you again, so the company would lose out as i understand it... on flights etc. I could really let that knowingly happen. I would lose my reputation also.

Last question, do you know the time from arriving into Saudi to processing the visa just out of interest?

Thank you.
My guess is the security check is done before your first flight is even booked.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will the company not ask for a police check? The ACRO could perhaps show a 'No Live Trace' in the report?
Best bet would be to apply for your ACRO now, then at least you'll know what shows up on it?
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:09 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

What Millhouse said. The saudi working visa will be processed whilst you are still in the UK (or wherever) and once approved, you go to the Embassy to have it stamped in your passport. Last time I did this, all checks had been completed except for the medical which happens in country.

If its going to happen, you would be rejected before you left for Saudi.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheShed
What Millhouse said. The saudi working visa will be processed whilst you are still in the UK (or wherever) and once approved, you go to the Embassy to have it stamped in your passport. Last time I did this, all checks had been completed except for the medical which happens in country.

If its going to happen, you would be rejected before you left for Saudi.
Thank you very much, so Visa/permit to work must be issued before any travel.
I must have misunderstood what was said to me by their HR.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 9:24 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much, so Visa/permit to work must be issued before any travel.
I must have misunderstood what was said to me by their HR.

Thanks again.
Absolutely. There is no entry to Saudi without a visa pre-stamped in the passport.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Assuming Saudi has a similar approach to the UAE (which it might not - never assume anything over here), then at some stage you will need to produce a UK police clearance certificate to get cleared to work on defence related bases.
Also, I assume you mean you will be working on Saudi MoD bases, not one of the British MoD areas within them? If the latter, then you might well have other British security clearances required.