Arrived in Muscat

Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:46 am
P/T Expat

rugbymummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrived in Muscat

Oh and forgot, had to pay a year up front which company will do, for 1300/month could have paid in 3 or 4 cheques!

Last edited by rugbymummy; Aug 20th 2014 at 6:48 am. Reason: Add in
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:40 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

yup - one thing in Muscat - if you see an opportunity, don't dick around - grab it.
whether that's a house, a car, a housemaid, or ready made fondant icing.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Still at the hotel...One day, I will get to see the family accommodations that they have rented for us...One day, meanwhile the hotel has a nice pool and gym and the food is decent...and co. pays for it..
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:27 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

which hotel? PM me
might see you there as we are going into one next week as we pack up
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks OS & RM, we have decided to one of the company villas at least for one year and then there after we will see the progress and experience to give ourselves another chance to make a decision.

For the school transport, we are looking at a transport that the school linked us to but they were very clear that the school doesn't get involved in any of the transport issues, so that is a bit worrying as well, nevertheless have asked him to come around our place to next week to discuss.. thanks OS for the driver offer but will shout if I need it.

went around to the local al fair this eve and got a few contacts for some nice cars ,will query tomorrow
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting info about the license tactics, does it really work that way? I thought they are pretty strict here, ie not in terms of driving but accepting bribery? may be I'm not fully aware of the system here...

So, booking in advance until one passes a test is more attractive for the instructors and so will make that extra effort to convince the examiner I suppose?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 3:46 am
womble

jinoman - live life now. choose a villa, make it yours, suck up it's deficiencies, celebrate it's good things; don't live for next year or you will never settle. your choice though.

you've seen the driving here - wait until you meet parents of the schools. the schools naturally stay well out of logistical nightmares - think over privileged shit don't stink parents who demand the world, won't accept flexibility, but will demand flexibility if little Ashram doesn't get the bus to wait 30 minutes for him to finish his chess club. also, the quality of bus driving here is appalling - there was a multiple fatality for one of the Indian school bus about 6 months ago. again, the school stays well out. sure, take the bus. give me a shout if you want, but I'm incommunicado coming soon. well, whatever. your choice.

if you wait to query about the nice cars in al fair, the good ones will have gone. call, make contact, book a time to meet at the al fair.

please - bribery and wasta is everywhere. accept it, work with it or around it.

if you got 400 omr for 6 hours work, or you could get 60 omr per hour until the person passes their test, what would you do?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
which hotel? PM me
might see you there as we are going into one next week as we pack up
the one near the BAHJA mall at seeb on the other side of the intersection...
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:51 am
womble

ok - you won't see me there I'm staying up in Shatti.....
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Shatti is upmarket dude...anyway we just moved to a fawlty towers type shared villa also in Seeb, till we can hopefully move to our apartment block..
Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:56 am
womble

That's me darling. Wouldn't settle for anything less. Could have chosen Chedi if I'd wanted, but bit boring for kids iykwim.

Temp accom sounds "interesting" hope it works out. Do you have school going kids?

Last edited by OriginalSunshine; Aug 24th 2014 at 9:57 am. Reason: Damn iPad autocorrect
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes my son is 3 years old and I think I should register him with a school for the future...
Old Aug 25th 2014, 5:49 pm
womble

Omg! Errr. yes. Mine were registered at the BSM at 1yr old and 2yr old. Your 3yr old May find there is already a waiting list for Nursery from age 4.
Saying that if you are Athaibah way, then Royal Flights is a better option. But get him registered ASAP.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wanted to register him at American International School, because my Mum used to be a teacher in the Cyprus branch and it seems that she has the wasta in AIS.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:34 pm
womble

TAISM.? That's an American system obviously, but it is fundamentally a very different education compared to uk, Europe, Scandinavia, Australasia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.