Arrived in Muscat

Old Aug 18th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrived in Muscat

Landed into the city this morning and after a long sleep, gearing up to go for a evening walk and to stock up a bit for the week as we are booked into a service apartment for the next few weeks. This is Saffeer suites and have no idea which part of the town this is.

Will explore and write comments soon..
Old Aug 18th 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Arrived in Muscat

Still finding my way around, but I believe that Saffeer Suites is near to the Crown Plaza - nice area - you can walk along the corniche to the Intercon hotel. Bars and restaurants in the Crown Plaza. Also the Rock Bottom bar (much better prices and good steaks) near by.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 3:17 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

There's another set of suites in Al Khuwair near centre point and opposite MSQ
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

yes we are in the one that is near by MSQ, mixed experiences with the cabbies this evening, each of them charging us on their own wish & will. 2 RO for less than a 2 minute ride was a bit extreme I should say.. No meters in the taxis, why is that?

Went into the LULU, had my mobile reactivated at Omantel with ID, got out and was taken by surprise when two taxi drivers were almost into a hand fight for nabbing clients!

Then we took another taxi away from the area and told him to take us to our apartments but instead he dropped us off in a different Safeer and when I told him this wasn't the place he was unhappy and just drove off! Luckily the receptionist at the other hotel was kind enough to arrange a car for us to be dropped off at the right place for free.

One common comment I get when I ask them about the exorbitant price for taxi is that the waiting time in the area is much longer it seems and hence they have to charge their next customer high but if I had not brought him there why should I be paying him for his waiting time, in fact am I not helping him by hiring him to go else where?

Anyway can't wait to get my hands on my own transport...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:30 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Taxis here are shite. No meters, no way to call them, and don't sit in the front seat male or female unless you want to be fondled!!! Agree the price before you get in. Automatically halve the offer, and then let him go up a bit.
When if you find a good one, get his mobile number and call.

There's a car rental in Al Ilam, same side as MSQ but bit further up, called I think Al Maha car rentals. They usually have an assortment of cars to rent.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:07 am
womble

Just walk from Safeer suites to MSQ - there's real pavements and crossings and everything there now (whereas previously it was boondocks dangerous!). Al Fair sells mobile recharge cards, you need to ask at the cash till. Really no need to go to Lulu anymore (bit confused why you needed it reactivated?).

PS Al Hajiry Trading LLC - CONTACT US
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Went for a trip with my friend to Mutrah, Bustan Hotel and back, the whole Muscat thing is starting to look rather nice and livable to me, but poor standards of driving overall and you really need your own car here...Things seem expensiver than UAE...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:50 am
womble

Yes, things more expensive here than UAE, as market is smaller, especially for expat style shopping.
Driving still boondocks. Watch out for learner drivers, taxis, taxi buses, camrys, porsche cayennes. Actually sod it, assume they are all pricks and cannot drive, have no licence no insurance.
If you get in an accident, unlike UAE it is not automatically your fault. But you will have to drag your damaged car at your (in)convenience by tow truck at your expense to three different garages to get the cheapest quote that the cheap arse driver may actually have lodged an insurance cover with. You can be months without a car, simply for the pleasure of being rear ended whilst you are stopped at a junction.
You seriously need spider tingly sense out here - think "what is the most retarded thing that this person ahead could do" and then when they do it, you are prepared for it.
Oh and 3 to 4 adults die on the roads, every single day, 365/366 days per year here. Children don't count in the statistics. Nor do those that die at the hospital.
Buy the biggest most solid car you can find. This is why I banged on about my XC90. Get one if you can afford it. We've had camrys bounce off the side of us (because they can't control their car going over a speed bump, round a corner junction, between the white lines delineating their lane, etc) and we've always escaped with a few tiny scratches unlike them.
Next road trip - drive around Qurm and PDO camp. See if you can make friends with a PDO club member - best place in Muscat. Also Shangri La is worth a drive through. Slightly more obscure is a drive to Bousher village (beyond Muscat Private hospital). Gives you an idea of what even places like Ghala & Azaiba used to be like even only 5 years ago.
Bousher sands is sadly wrecked by corrupt development. 6 years ago it was an awesome f'off mega sand dune in the middle of the city, and lots of fun dune bugging within the city limits. Now a motorway cuts through it, and cheap arse appartment blocks are built on it

You guys let me know if you need any other tips soon, since we'll be leaving Muscat for good next week.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

well co...has secured a whole app block near the beach in Udheibah (azeiba?) they are still not moving us there due to a very minor problem - yes the sewage line is not connected...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:40 am
womble

hunh? most of Muscat is not on a sewage line... the municipality has been installing it for over 2 years now and making a complete mess of it. I've lost count of the number of times our streets have been dug up around our house.

yellow trucks = shit trucks that pump out the sewage from the septic tanks that are installed almost everywhere. your co must have rented a block without a septic tank. prats. prob got a good rate from the contract holder's half-brother's uncle.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:41 am
womble

Azaiba = Athaiba = Udheibah = Uthaiba
Old Aug 19th 2014, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

this figures...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

My co has two villas available inside the compound opposite to HYATT, they look reasonable but the area around the house looks poorly maintained with shrubs and dust all over. My daughter is going to go schooling in ABA starting next week, we are confused whether we should take one of the villas from the co or should look out for our own nearer the school (walking distance) so that we don't have to rely on omanie drivers for school transport as I'm told they are not trustworthy with this work. MY wife doesn't posses a license yet and I can drive, at the moment we have three weeks at safeer suites before we make our decision.

1. is it possible to find a house in three weeks time
2. are the formalities simple and straight forward to rent a property or at least doable with less hasstle.
3. what are the +ves / -ves of renting a property on your name

company might pay me an housing allowance of between 1100-1200 OMR a month should I choose to look on my own.

Apologies for piling up questions, but with OS leaving next week, I just wanted to 'make hay while sunshines' Again I'm driving the company car now, but will most likely need to get one on my own soon, are there any websites or spots where I could catch up with similar expats who would be willing to sell their cars?

Thanks in advance for your replies..
Old Aug 20th 2014, 3:17 am
womble

FB is a big resource here
Muscat where can I find
Muscat buy and sell

Lots of groups

I've just sold our GTi which was the last car remaining.

Drive to the ABA school. There are no houses within safe walking distance in this heat.

Hyatt housing is old but with great gardens that you wouldn't find elsewhere. I would personally grab the best one and make do. Renting on open market is a bloody nightmare here and the Hyatt houses go for 1500 on the rare occasions they are available.

Dust is everywhere.

My Omani driver has a full time job. But he would do the school run for us (using our car) for taking kids to school and returning car. Then at pickup, he would with housemaid collect the kids and take them home. We paid him 175 OMR / month because he was safe polite and a godsend when we were both working full time. We paid full salary each and every month including summer as a retainer. Because he was worth it. If you're interested PM me your name and mobile number and I'll put you in contact.

Cars - classic cars nearby to you is a decent second hand place. Otherwise check out al fair notice board.

Driving licence - I don't know the names of teachers, but find one that will charge upfront fee for all lessons and tests until you pass. About 400 - 500 OMR. Get the instructor to sit with your wife when she takes the test so he can chat with the ROP guy afterwards � ����
This is the quickest way to pass. If you pay per lesson it can take 18-24 months to pass.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:22 am
P/T Expat

rugbymummy is an unknown quantity at this point

We were over last week & found a house but there wasn't much available & we were told is busiest time of year before school starts. Lots on agents sites but in reality, like agents everywhere, seems to be just for show. Anything in a Qurm, Shatti that we asked to look at we were told had gone and what they showed us in Madinat area for 1200 was very small/poky/old! A couple in Azaiba but also old & needed updating. We have opted for brand new, large villa on small compound of 12ish ( can't remember exactly but not many) in Bowsher with a pool & got them down from 1300 to 1200 which wasn't hard so think is probably what they were aiming for. Bowsher is quite a way from the schools but we both drive and aren't too fussed about not being in the middle of town, plus we don't need schools at moment. One of the reasons we'd gone was so that husband could sort out his visa, work permit etc, which his company did, so it also meant we could proceed straight away on arranging rental. Without these these you will be snookered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.