Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Areas to live (Dubai)

Areas to live (Dubai)

Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to Live in Dubai - Young Family of 3

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I'm sure he could bag somewhere in Mirdiff for that money .
I'd say so too. And as a veteran citizen of the Democratic Peoples Republic of Mirdif, I approve his application to attend an entry interview! We don't just let anyone in don't you know!
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'd say so too. And as a veteran citizen of the Democratic Peoples Republic of Mirdif, I approve his application to attend an entry interview! We don't just let anyone in don't you know!
Many fine years spent in the DPRM , good place to live
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Panditsfromabz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Many fine years spent in the DPRM , good place to live
I am nervously available for that interview during first week of April
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panditsfromabz
I am nervously available for that interview during first week of April
Plenty places available on your budget , it's all relative . Remember what you want and what you need are two different things.

That's why so many tosspots go skint out here .
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. I will take this up with the hiring manager and see if a renegotiation is possible.

Frankly, I didn't come here to become popular. The quality of responses from some of the guys here are genuinely helpful, whereas some are here to polish their vanity against people who are possibly half their age and are looking for help. I am not 'rude', but I don't shy away from a confrontation.

Just bear in mind that for all it's expansion Dubai operates like a small town and most British expats are no more than a degree or two of separation from every other Brit here. Doubly so in O&G, construction and media. Making enemies is best avoided.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

twix002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Hi guys
Hope you are fine.
I need your help please for the below estimation. I am moving with my wife (no kids) to dubai and I am targeting the below plan:
Lodgging (including elicticity, water and internet) 10k aed per month --> I need 2 bedrooms flat in a nice location...any ideas on the areas?
Car rent: 2000 aed per month including fuel and maintenance
Living: 4500 aed per month
What do you think guys? Is it realistic?
Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2016, 6:34 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Kids of school age?
No my daughter is only 2 and a bit. another couple of years before she goes to school.

On this note - I will get a schooling allowance of AED32000/annum. Any decent British school there will cost at least AED75-80k, am I agreeing to a s**te deal?[/QUOTE]

I see who's getting wound up here

You did quite a research on that word, I'd give you that

Just as you pointed out 'hand to mouth' - a AED 500k/annum excluding schooling allowances, 2 flights/year, medical insurance and some other shit, didn't seem 'hand to mouth' to me initially and even after your input, it doesn't sound 'hand to mouth'! But hey, even if it turns out to be 'hands to mouth' I bet you'd be the first to comment here, until that time - CHEERS MATE!
MATE...

You mentioned the idea that it may be a shite deal, I simply agreed with you that, in my opinion, it was. If you didnt want peoples opinions, why the f(ck ask for them?

You give a slightly better break down of your package above.

500K AED pa, with schooling, medical, flights etc etc...

So, since their is no mention of a housing allowance, I can only infer that the housing is IN the 500K pa.

500-130 (and you will spend more than this..) 370 before you start paying the bills. In a couple of years, that becomes nearer 325 once you start paying for your daughters schooling.

So, we are now down to 325K pa, or just over 27K per month. Now we start talking transportation, household utilities, shopping etc....

Ill refer you to some of the responses to archi2 earlier in the thread.

This is obviously crap if you have a housing allowance ON TOP of the salary, but since it was not the first thing listed after the salary value, I have to assume you don't get one..

Last query would be the industry you are in. There are one or 2 industries I would steer WELL away form over here currently, and I work in one of them!! If this is O&G, stay away. There are about to be some serious cuts coming, and it wont just affect those employed by the NOC's...

If the above is correct tho, then Ill repeat, its a shite offer..
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:00 am
Just Joined

xpat11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twix002
Hi guys
Hope you are fine.
I need your help please for the below estimation. I am moving with my wife (no kids) to dubai and I am targeting the below plan:
Lodgging (including elicticity, water and internet) 10k aed per month --> I need 2 bedrooms flat in a nice location...any ideas on the areas?
Car rent: 2000 aed per month including fuel and maintenance
Living: 4500 aed per month
What do you think guys? Is it realistic?
Thanks
Hi Twix,

I'm an expat here in Dubai and I'm living with my wife as well.
The 2 bedroom flat that I have which is located in a nice area is aroung 10K AED, Utilities are costing me around 1700 AED.

I bought my own car however, if you're looking at renting a small city car, with fuel and maintenance, it will be roughly around 2500 AED.

Living cost is around 6000 AED.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

jamal.beckford is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the average price near the burj?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamal.beckford
Get your arse on Dubizzle.com Dude. Loads of apartment listings
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a freshly minted graduate architect you're looking at 20k a month max at one of the big consultancies.

Your best bet is a room in a flatshare. That way you might be able to live near the Burj (one bedrooms start around 90k for the year, plus add another 15% on operating expenses).

Originally Posted by jamal.beckford
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
If you're a freshly minted graduate architect you're looking at 20k a month max .
Mega max. Thinking closer to 15k.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, was too generous. If he has 2-3 years experience he can probably get up to 18k. But if starting out then 15 is more realistic.

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Mega max. Thinking closer to 15k.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The Burj? Must be a newbie as once upon a time 'the burj' was the Burj al Arab, not Burj Khalifa.

Besides there are an awful lot of towers (as burj means).
Old Nov 25th 2016, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

The OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The Burj? Must be a newbie as once upon a time 'the burj' was the Burj al Arab, not Burj Khalifa.

Besides there are an awful lot of towers (as burj means).
I have a Burj Dubai T-shirt from 2009. Is it valuable?