Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone sent their kid(s) to University in Qatar?

Anyone sent their kid(s) to University in Qatar?

Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone sent their kid(s) to University in Qatar?

Originally Posted by jam25mack
The Uni side of life here must be so dull.

Apparently it has changed a lot in the UK these days and it's quite dull there now too.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Apparently it has changed a lot in the UK these days and it's quite dull there now too.
Hadn't heard that but 'UK dull' must be a million times less dull than being a student in the ME.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hadn't heard that but 'UK dull' must be a million times less dull than being a student in the ME.
Well true!
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Would have hated to go to Uni in the ME. The whole point of Uni after getting the bit of paper is to grow as a person, get drunk, party, have adventures, make mistakes, get yourself in and out of trouble etc. The Uni side of life here must be so dull.
i think you'd be quite surprised......i remember when i sold my Golf R to a local kid who was at uni. I had to meet him several times coz his mum was paying for the car. During one of those meetings i asked if he drank and he said no but was very forth coming by saying that him and his mates did weed (along with their gf's) and that it was fairly common amongst the 'younger' generation. He also mentioned that although they don't frequent bars and clubs, they have loads of 'underground' parties...where both booze and weed was widely consumed.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
i think you'd be quite surprised......i remember when i sold my Golf R to a local kid who was at uni. I had to meet him several times coz his mum was paying for the car. During one of those meetings i asked if he drank and he said no but was very forth coming by saying that him and his mates did weed (along with their gf's) and that it was fairly common amongst the 'younger' generation. He also mentioned that although they don't frequent bars and clubs, they have loads of 'underground' parties...where both booze and weed was widely consumed.
I'm not saying its all early nights and bible / Quran studies.... as I know a few folk who went to Uni here...... but the risk of a lengthy prison sentence if caught 'misbehaving' must curtail a certain amount of student based high jinx.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying its all early nights and bible / Quran studies.... as I know a few folk who went to Uni here...... but the risk of a lengthy prison sentence if caught 'misbehaving' must curtail a certain amount of student based high jinx.
yep, fair point.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 4:38 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
But why is it hard returning to the UK?

It seems pretty straightforward to me. Left foot forward. Right foot forward. Repeat. Get on with life.
To put it simply, he felt like a foreigner. He virtually never lived in the UK (only aged 0-3years) so didn't know anyone, didn't like the climate, and kind of hated the lazy, sit in front of the TV or a bar culture. He has always been a big sportsman and lives a pretty outdoors beach kind of life.

I talk to him regularly and he shows no desire whatsoever to ever return to blighty. Its a shame as thats his heritage, but its his choice.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TheShed
To put it simply, he felt like a foreigner. He virtually never lived in the UK (only aged 0-3years) so didn't know anyone, didn't like the climate, and kind of hated the lazy, sit in front of the TV or a bar culture. He has always been a big sportsman and lives a pretty outdoors beach kind of life.

I talk to him regularly and he shows no desire whatsoever to ever return to blighty. Its a shame as thats his heritage, but its his choice.
I lasted 28 years in the country, the last 14 of which I had decided to leave and was just making the necessary plans to do so.

"didn't like the climate, and kind of hated the lazy, sit in front of the TV or a bar culture" - this basically summarizing it for me.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 9:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not according to all 3 Bahtatsprogs. Mind you, they all went to Newcastle Uni...
Old Dec 13th 2017, 9:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I lasted 28 years in the country, the last 14 of which I had decided to leave and was just making the necessary plans to do so.

"didn't like the climate, and kind of hated the lazy, sit in front of the TV or a bar culture" - this basically summarizing it for me.
I lasted 24 years first time (ie 0-24), but was partly thrust abroad by the company I worked for going bust and drawn abroad by the outrageous salaries available in Saudi at the time (mid 80's), and then 10 years the second time (mid 30's to mid 40's -- my age, not the date), because of the utterly depressing way mid-caps do business: maverick CEO's, maniacal MDs, sheepish mid-management (was completely puzzled why nearly all my colleagues were wearing virtually-identical short, dark grey coats, only to learn that that's what Mourinho was wearing at the time), and generally people’s attitudes as grey and sullen as the weather. Paying tax didn’t help.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

ReesanDemha is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick update - given the poor choice of Uni and courses for UK expats in Qatar, we decided its back to the uk for the family so eldest son can study his A Levels there- also residency rules for student finance means no student loan if you haven't been resident in uk for 3 years atleast prior to applying. I think all round its the best place for them until they finish education and qualify in something - atleast they will have experienced life in Q and broadened their horizons !
Old Feb 11th 2018, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ReesanDemha
experienced life in Q and broadened their horizons !
Are you sure?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you sure?
Maybe they met you at some point?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they met you at some point?
I don't get along with children. They scare me and I presume I scare them too. Every time I'm forced to be in close encounter with a kid we each look at each other coldly, eyes quickly scanning each other for what we can possibly do for the other, and then the conclusion is absolutely nothing so we just end up standing in awkward silence.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't get along with children. They scare me and I presume I scare them too. Every time I'm forced to be in close encounter with a kid we each look at each other coldly, eyes quickly scanning each other for what we can possibly do for the other, and then the conclusion is absolutely nothing so we just end up standing in awkward silence.
I suspect that's also the case with adults.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.