Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone sent their kid(s) to University in Qatar?

Anyone sent their kid(s) to University in Qatar?

Old Dec 10th 2017, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

ReesanDemha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone sent their kid(s) to University in Qatar?

We are getting closer to having to decide what to do for our eldest - currently in year 10 at Doha British School. If University choice in Q is going to be limited and unviable, we're wondering if it might be better for him to go back to do his A'Levels and applying for Uni places.

Any advice or experiences welcome.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone sent their kid(s) to University in Qatar?

Originally Posted by ReesanDemha
We are getting closer to having to decide what to do for our eldest - currently in year 10 at Doha British School. If University choice in Q is going to be limited and unviable, we're wondering if it might be better for him to go back to do his A'Levels and applying for Uni places.

Any advice or experiences welcome.
I never see western kids in Qatar. Do they exist?
Old Dec 10th 2017, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

ReesanDemha is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends what area you visit - pop down to AlWaab next to the American School and Doha College - there are plenty
Old Dec 10th 2017, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ReesanDemha
Depends what area you visit - pop down to AlWaab next to the American School and Doha College - there are plenty
I don't even know where Al Waab is.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I don't even know where Al Waab is.
I'm surprised. Dogging hot-spot, apparently.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm surprised. Dogging hot-spot, apparently.
I had to look it up. It's all compounds.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Dogging ? And is it full of speakeasies ?
Old Dec 10th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I do know of a few Westerners whose kids went to university in the UAE - but they were very few in number and the circumstances were probably different from yours (ie, they had spent most of their lives in the UAE, etc). They were also studying degree programs like tourism.

There could be real issues getting the university degree recognised in the UK and you need to research that thoroughly.

At any rate it will not be equivalent, or anything close, even if the degree is recognised.

I would be adamantly, adamantly opposed to my own kids attending higher education in the Middle East.

"limited and unviable" - as you put it - is the best way to describe it.

I know it is very inconvenient and difficult but your kids are much better off in the UK for higher education.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 1:31 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

University of Aberdeen have opened a campus in Qatar and are now offering Accountancy & Finance and Business Management, if that's any help.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I can't speak for Doha schools, but in the UAE the better-quality British schools are reasonably good at getting post A-level students into British universities, including Oxbridge - and they can often advise, and write supporting letters, to get the child treated as a UK resident for fees. But there is (according to my teacher friends) a certain art to it, and schools which don't have much experience in sending children back to UK universities can make it a lot harder by failing to teach the right modules, arrange the right projects/experiences etc.
We've sent our eldest back to the UK to do his GCSEs and A-levels not so much because we didn't trust his school here to teach to the right standard, but we were not certain we could commit to keeping him here for the full period of study, and definitely did not want to find we had to change countries & schools (and therefore, possibly, also change examination boards) a year or so before A-levels. But if you are confident you will stay in Qatar till after his A-levels, and your son is at a good school with plenty of experience of teaching towards sending children to British universities, then no reason why he can't finish A-levels in Qatar and then go back to UK university.
I definitely would not consider sending a child to a university in the UAE unless he/she had a clear concept of how they would continue working in the UAE after that. Even ones like NYUAD, which get great lecturers, are very closely linked to their parent uni, and are amazingly cheap (through subsidies and scholarships) - whilst I don't doubt that the teaching is fine, he'll get a completely different cohort of students at such a place, which though it might set him up well for a life in the UAE, or even on the global stage, if his focus is likely to be work in the UK then he will miss out a lot.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 6:54 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Its a few years ago now, but my oldest two both went to UK universities and thrived. They had managed to keep quite good connections with the UK and liked it there, but eventually all came back to Dubai in the end to work.

My youngest went to Bristol for one year but couldn't hack it as he had never lived in UK after the age of 3 and found it very alien to him. He then went to Middlesex University in Dubai reading economics and accounting. The degree is issued from UK fully recognized and he got himself a great career with one of the big four accounting firms as a grad in Dubai.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheShed
Its a few years ago now, but my oldest two both went to UK universities and thrived. They had managed to keep quite good connections with the UK and liked it there, but eventually all came back to Dubai in the end to work.

My youngest went to Bristol for one year but couldn't hack it as he had never lived in UK after the age of 3 and found it very alien to him. He then went to Middlesex University in Dubai reading economics and accounting. The degree is issued from UK fully recognized and he got himself a great career with one of the big four accounting firms as a grad in Dubai.
Why couldn't your youngest hack it in the UK?
Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

reasons probably similar to why a British kid couldn't hack it at a UAE university after living all their life in the UK.

I know personally how hard returning "home" to the UK as a kid can be after growing up overseas. Some kids do fine, but not all.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sicklyman
reasons probably similar to why a British kid couldn't hack it at a UAE university after living all their life in the UK.

I know personally how hard returning "home" to the UK as a kid can be after growing up overseas. Some kids do fine, but not all.
But why is it hard returning to the UK?

It seems pretty straightforward to me. Left foot forward. Right foot forward. Repeat. Get on with life.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Would have hated to go to Uni in the ME. The whole point of Uni after getting the bit of paper is to grow as a person, get drunk, party, have adventures, make mistakes, get yourself in and out of trouble etc. The Uni side of life here must be so dull.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.