Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Originally Posted by crazyirish
hello ronnie,
are you able to tell us the name of the compound you are talking about as we are looking at the minute and after living 40 years in belfast we know what its like to live in a good area!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Kieran
Yes mate, will send you a PM - happy to offer any advice.

After 40 years in Belfast, Bahrain will be like coming home (to the 1970s!) Only joking!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Drove into town in the afternoon and it was unbelievable. Saw my first riot on the way back as traffic slowed around the entrance of a village and then further disturbance at Saar village further away from town. Fires buring all over the place and to quote a song (kind of) there was "teargas in the airrrr (everywhere I look arounnnnd....)" Funny old place this is turning into.

Visited your compound last week and must say it looks like a great option for those thinking about coming here. Great location and chemical free - that's gold.
If it's the song I think it is, doesn't it go on "Faces, angry faces, everywhere I go, I see angry faces..."? (paraphrased a bit)
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:09 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Oh and bring a couple of skottle braais. Cant get them here for love nor money. if still here I will take one of your hands. The charcoal is generally crap Indonesian or Namibian SO you will end up cooking on briquettes which are reasonably priced.

Full range of Webers here at a price plus full range of Ma Balls chutneys yay.

Forgot to say, reasonable droie wors and biltong available in City centre mall

Lekker
Thanks mate, and deal - if we get over, I'll pack an extra one....
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazyirish
are you able to tell me your area so we can have a look,we have been looking for villas in compound around hamala and jasra,are these the right areas to look in or total no no's.
we are hopeing to get the kids into the british school bahrain and these areas seem to be the closest and safest,my wife is also working in seef so all round a central location for all of us.
another thing that we are trying to work out is , whats the monthly bills if your villa is not included!!!!!! we are trying to work out is it a big saving or not,is it loaded onto the price of the villa anyway!!!!
same as a furnished villa, is it cheaper for me over the 2 year contract to ship my stuff out in a container and negotiate hard for a villa with no furniture or bills.
Needing advice from expats as this is all new to us .
Thanks
Kieran
Difference between furnished and unfurnished is between 100 and 200 dinars a month extra but of course they are rarer than rocking horse poo.
Try and get inclusive if you can to save the hassle.
Bills in winter are cheap but electric bill can be high in summer. Old window ac units use large amounts of electricity in comparison with new central ac so it's difficult to give an estimate.

Of course if you go fully furnished you can get on the plane and gap it if it goes pear shaped.

Jarsra is fine but hamala feels in the sticks and they do love burning tyres on the road
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Drove into town in the afternoon and it was unbelievable. Saw my first riot on the way back as traffic slowed around the entrance of a village and then further disturbance at Saar village further away from town. Fires buring all over the place and to quote a song (kind of) there was "teargas in the airrrr (everywhere I look arounnnnd....)" Funny old place this is turning into.

Visited your compound last week and must say it looks like a great option for those thinking about coming here. Great location and chemical free - that's gold.
Sorry to hear that Ron but it's going to get more common for all sadly. Restrict life to the compound and rugby club and then forget about work

Do they have that black and white liquor called sheridans at the rugby club ? Haven't had it in donkeys years but craving badly tonight
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
If it's the song I think it is, doesn't it go on "Faces, angry faces, everywhere I go, I see angry faces..."? (paraphrased a bit)
Nope - "Love is in the air" by Mr. A. Ponce
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that Ron but it's going to get more common for all sadly. Restrict life to the compound and rugby club and then forget about work

Do they have that black and white liquor called sheridans at the rugby club ? Haven't had it in donkeys years but craving badly tonight
Black and white liquor....? Sounds like hangover diesel to me mate but will have a look next time I'm up there.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Black and white liquor....? Sounds like hangover diesel to me mate but will have a look next time I'm up there.
Yep its 2 bottles in one. I have no idea why its on the craving list but it is. I have seen in duty free and out of country next week so can pick up a bottle on the way through but cant even remember what the stuff tastes like. very strange indeed.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:57 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

from what i can remember it is awful..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheridan%27s
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by norsk
from what i can remember it is awful..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheridan%27s
i'll let you know on Tuesday night

Back to the thread, appears to rioting around the back of the airport where disloyals are demanding the relase of a fellow disloyal held in the police station.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

leesk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again to all of you for the updates. Me and son are coming to Bahrain for a weeks holiday (?) on Jan 14th to check out the schools and suitable compounds for accommodation. OH has been staying near Hamala Beach and likes it but am wondering if there is something else worth looking at especially if son is going to St Christophers.
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, feel free to PM me.

leeskx
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:47 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Yep its 2 bottles in one. I have no idea why its on the craving list but it is. I have seen in duty free and out of country next week so can pick up a bottle on the way through but cant even remember what the stuff tastes like. very strange indeed.
It tastes like artificial coffee liqueur as you pour the black stuff first and the "cream" on top. Yes it is as vile as it sounds. Had a bottle of the stuff once; threw it away after a few years barely touched.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by leesk
Thanks again to all of you for the updates. Me and son are coming to Bahrain for a weeks holiday (?) on Jan 14th to check out the schools and suitable compounds for accommodation. OH has been staying near Hamala Beach and likes it but am wondering if there is something else worth looking at especially if son is going to St Christophers.
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, feel free to PM me.

leeskx
Lmao, he is not living in the portacabin shacks at hamala
Beach resort is he ??? Used to be doable when the bar had a licence.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

leesk is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh gawd, think that is where he is. See some things you just can't trust a man to sort out. Help!?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by leesk
Oh gawd, think that is where he is. See some things you just can't trust a man to sort out. Help!?
Well at least it is cheap there lol. The best comparison I can make is to suggest you watch the movie deliverance. The shanty town the Cajuns live in, in the swamps is very reminiscent of hamala beach resort.

Think of the money you will save though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.