Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Hayley, as a complete outsider I see no offence intended in the original post, and yes the question is blunt - but not cold-hearted. An example; I was offered US$2million to work for four years in the Delta in Nigeria, with my family. Would I expose my family to malaria, my infants to anti-malarials, and all of us live with the fear of death or dismemberment? No. Not for that money, not for any money. Similarly, offered a job in Iraq (Basra) without family. Would I want to leave my family behind without me? No. Not for any money. Do YOU want to live in a situation where you fear your children would be teargassed, you shot at by accident, a riot kicking off in the street between you & your children? Is the money worth it?
Here here. Me old man was offered a job in Nigeria years ago when I was a little boy..he said no, we went to Mozambique instead during their civil war. It was in fact, a much wiser and safer option. And no, that is no joke..Money wasn't as good, but at least I could play in the streets with the local kids, although I would occasionally have some of my toys nicked.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Here here. Me old man was offered a job in Nigeria years ago when I was a little boy..he said no, we went to Mozambique instead during their civil war. It was in fact, a much wiser and safer option. And no, that is no joke..Money wasn't as good, but at least I could play in the streets with the local kids, although I would occasionally have some of my toys nicked.
Hmmmm prawns in Beira, lekker.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Pain in the ass this afternoon, Saudi causeway road closed, saar avenue blocked, no sheridans in the dilmun
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:56 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

All is well
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Hmmmm prawns in Beira, lekker.
Got about 4 prawns to the kilo. Very nice.

The smell of Nampula was so terrible, the door on the aircraft jammed.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

People reporting first "big bang" in Amwaj tonight.

Allegedly tear gas and bangs in Saar but all quiet in the green zone
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:32 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Long time lurker, I've been enjoying the ME posts and debate.

I'm in South Africa, have been for 10 years. Life's good but getting to the point where safety and security for the kids is harder to provide. Also, in 10 years time their blonde hair and blue eyes will prevent any chance of employment.

My company have offered me the chance to work in the ME, running a couple of their offices - Bahrain, Kuwait and Dubai. I have advised (based on the comments in this thread!) that I'll begin to consider it as long as they base me and my family in Dubai and allow me to fly in and out of the other offices alone. A couple of questions:

Is this (commuting) practical? Having looked at flight times / schedules, it seems to be but in reality? Can you move freely between them with no visa restrictions?

Obviously I've done all the research on living in Dubai - we stayed there for 3 months in 2007 - while you can never say never, it's not going to go the same way as Bahrain, is it?

Thanks - appreciate any feedback or comments.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Assuming you are on a British passport then no problems. Visa on arrival in kuwait for 3kwd and 5bhd in Bahrain.
After SA, Bahrain would be a breeze even with the troubles but dubai would be the perfect choice in my humble opinion
Dubai is not following Bahrain by the way.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Us embassy is relocating all personnel from budaiya and adjacent to bud highway to safer areas on the island.

Demos planned today in diraz and all over on new years eve. Happy days
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Us embassy is relocating all personnel from budaiya and adjacent to bud highway to safer areas on the island.

Demos planned today in diraz and all over on new years eve. Happy days
Heard that today too - all have to be out by Feb as there is an assumption that it will kick off again on Feb 14th....

Ededed - I reckon you have it straight. Dubai to Bahrain and Kuwait is an absolute breeze and you should have no problems.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:33 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Hi all,

Long time lurker, I've been enjoying the ME posts and debate.

I'm in South Africa, have been for 10 years. Life's good but getting to the point where safety and security for the kids is harder to provide. Also, in 10 years time their blonde hair and blue eyes will prevent any chance of employment.

My company have offered me the chance to work in the ME, running a couple of their offices - Bahrain, Kuwait and Dubai. I have advised (based on the comments in this thread!) that I'll begin to consider it as long as they base me and my family in Dubai and allow me to fly in and out of the other offices alone. A couple of questions:

Is this (commuting) practical? Having looked at flight times / schedules, it seems to be but in reality? Can you move freely between them with no visa restrictions?

Obviously I've done all the research on living in Dubai - we stayed there for 3 months in 2007 - while you can never say never, it's not going to go the same way as Bahrain, is it?

Thanks - appreciate any feedback or comments.
Hmmm....yes, it's practical, but if you stay in one city to live & work, and go to other cities to work, then you will need to make sure that when you work in your non-residential city that you are legally allowed to do so, because as everyone on this forum would/should attest to, when things go wrong legally in the ME the smelly stuff really hits the fan....

Dubai is not going the same way as Bahrain, as far as anyone can tell, but never say never. However, it was only Libya that people really had to evacuate fast, everywhere else has bubbled for while before people realised they need to get out (*cough* Bahrain *cough*).

As I said above, just make sure that your working conditions are legal, and your arrangement should be possible.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:34 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Heard that today too - all have to be out by Feb as there is an assumption that it will kick off again on Feb 14th....

Ededed - I reckon you have it straight. Dubai to Bahrain and Kuwait is an absolute breeze and you should have no problems.
what's happening on 14th? I know the PMPBUH's birthday is allegedly the 2nd Feb.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point

14th Feb?? They obviously know how sh**e Valentines Day is??

Oh and I heard that tens of thousands were at Burgerland Roundabout tonite - "tens of thousands" - are there even that many Bahraini's in Bahrain??

Sorry - Island fever obviously getting to me already.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scottrace
14th Feb?? They obviously know how sh**e Valentines Day is??

Oh and I heard that tens of thousands were at Burgerland Roundabout tonite - "tens of thousands" - are there even that many Bahraini's in Bahrain??

Sorry - Island fever obviously getting to me already.
It's still a baby demo trace, 100'000 plus were the big ones lol

Did you get a car by the way ?

For those who genuinely don't know 14th February was the day of rage in Bahrain that started this all off
Old Dec 30th 2011, 12:08 pm
womble

It's still a baby demo trace, 100'000 plus were the big ones lol

Did you get a car by the way ?

For those who genuinely don't know 14th February was the day of rage in Bahrain that started this all off
ah. ok, thanks, genuinely didn't recognise the date. we had our biggest "day" for a God (or wha'ever) bless the Sultan march in April. it's rather more civilised here, and took a little longer to organise .... ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.