Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any Junior Architecture Positions in Dubai??

Any Junior Architecture Positions in Dubai??

Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

jamal.beckford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Junior Architecture Positions in Dubai??

Hi all

I've just recently graduated and received my Masters in Architecture.

Having visited Dubai a few times,I am really keen to come to Dubai and continue my architectural career. I already have a couple non-architecture friends over there and am seriously considering moving from the U.K.

I'm new to the forums, so hopefully not breaking any rules.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 3:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Any Junior Architecture Positions in Dubai??

RIBA and/or ARB yet? I can't remember if you tie it in with Masters or not.

- Get your full CV with lots of information on Gulf Talent.
- Repeat..on Linked in
- Network with anyone you know out here.
- Contact some recruiters that you find and connect with on Linkedin based in Dubai. Some UK based are OK, but hard to find the ones that are good for UAE based work.
- Network a bit more. You will know more people than you think out here.
- Apply for roles on Gulf Talent and Linkedin now you're up to date.

Your only stumbling block is going to be experience. Your experience during Uni was good and with a good 'brand' company. Now you've graduated you will probably struggle to find opportunities here without a few years experience, although don't let that stop you looking. The right portfolio with the right client at the right time and you're set.

Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If you're really desperate to work in Dubai with minimal experience your best bet is probably the second tier firms. Not the major A/E/Cs as they will want solid experience before bringing someone from overseas (which they do all the time). You won't be paid loads but you'll live decently enough in a flatshare and have a bit of fun too.

But honestly, the biggest mistake is coming out to Dubai without building up your experience in the UK and getting your qualifications in order. If you have solid experience with the big consultancies in the UK on big projects, you're a much more attractive candidate at a much higher salary level. Don't be blinded by the party in Dubai when you're only 23 or so. Put in your dues, do the grunt work and kiss the arses in the UK. Then you'll be 28 or so and can come out on a much better, much nicer package with a much better company.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Salary here for a grad architect will be woeful.

I see on another thread you were asking about apartment prices around the Burj. Unless you are independently wealthy these will be waaaay out of your league.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:48 am
Just Joined

jamal.beckford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
RIBA and/or ARB yet? I can't remember if you tie it in with Masters or not.

- Get your full CV with lots of information on Gulf Talent.
- Repeat..on Linked in
- Network with anyone you know out here.
- Contact some recruiters that you find and connect with on Linkedin based in Dubai. Some UK based are OK, but hard to find the ones that are good for UAE based work.
- Network a bit more. You will know more people than you think out here.
- Apply for roles on Gulf Talent and Linkedin now you're up to date.

Your only stumbling block is going to be experience. Your experience during Uni was good and with a good 'brand' company. Now you've graduated you will probably struggle to find opportunities here without a few years experience, although don't let that stop you looking. The right portfolio with the right client at the right time and you're set.

Good luck.
I've got 2 years worth of experience working in practice and am RIBA Pt II Qualified. Besides LinkedIn,gulf talent and indeed the websites/recruitment agencies look a bit "questionsble" but have still tried the likes of bayt etc. In short I have one or two interviews lined up in Dubai, but thought its best to maximise this with as many as I can to make the trip worthwhile.

Thanks for your thoughts tho buddy.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to keep checking out the hiring pages of the firms themselves.

Finding a job in Dubai is always unpredictable. Some people find work very easily, others take years. It's the luck of the draw in a sense.

Then you have people like me who were offered in-house transfers out of the blue.

Among my friends in the A/E/C sector I'd say 1/2 came out through in-house transfers to work on a certain project or applied for an open role that was initially internally advertised (many used that initial transfer to launch themselves in the Middle East and eventually moved on to other jobs with other consultancies out here); 1/4 applied for a job on a lark and within a month they were out in Dubai; the remaining 1/4 spent anywhere from half a year to multiple years applying for everything relevant and finally getting an offer and coming out.

Originally Posted by jamal.beckford
I've got 2 years worth of experience working in practice and am RIBA Pt II Qualified. Besides LinkedIn,gulf talent and indeed the websites/recruitment agencies look a bit "questionsble" but have still tried the likes of bayt etc. In short I have one or two interviews lined up in Dubai, but thought its best to maximise this with as many as I can to make the trip worthwhile.

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jamal.beckford

Naukri and Bayt are alright, but I've never used them.
Monstegulf is OK, but again, not mainstream.
Gulf Talent is the number one without exception.

Don't write off agencies, try to find the big names (Hays, Randstad, Adecco etc as I know they all have Construction / Property divisions) but also look for smaller, local firms with the right person - it's not about the agency, it's about the recruiter and the relationships they have. Try people at BWP and Engage Selection. I know both have Architecture recruiters who are quite good.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Among my friends in the A/E/C sector
what does A/E/C stand for?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Architecture, engineering and construction.

You learned something new today

Originally Posted by mission
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Architecture, engineering and construction.

You learned something new today
I did indeed - ta
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
another engineering cun....