Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any benefit to asking for 'local' vs 'expat' package?

Any benefit to asking for 'local' vs 'expat' package?

Old May 3rd 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any benefit to asking for 'local' vs 'expat' package?

Hi all,

Looking to move out to Abu Dhabi next year.

I work in PR, and my wife is a teacher/secondary head of year.

Our plan is to live on my wife's salary/package and put all mine into savings. I've spent some time with the calculator on here and with her free furnished accommodation, health care for both of us and reasonable salary, it seems do-able.

However, it says clearly on more than one school's T&Cs that if I get a job that includes any benefits, my wife's benefits package 'would not be replicated', ie. she'd lose the right to accommodation.

So I'm wondering, is it a valid strategy (or indeed possible) for me to actually ask for a local package (with higher base salary) rather than an expat package (and lose my wife's package)?

And would it therefore be worth me moving out there with her as my sponsor and using the first few months to job search face-to-face?

Thanks!
Old May 3rd 2013, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any benefit to asking for 'local' vs 'expat' package?

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Hi all,

Looking to move out to Abu Dhabi next year.

I work in PR, and my wife is a teacher/secondary head of year.

Our plan is to live on my wife's salary/package and put all mine into savings. I've spent some time with the calculator on here and with her free furnished accommodation, health care for both of us and reasonable salary, it seems do-able.

However, it says clearly on more than one school's T&Cs that if I get a job that includes any benefits, my wife's benefits package 'would not be replicated', ie. she'd lose the right to accommodation.

So I'm wondering, is it a valid strategy (or indeed possible) for me to actually ask for a local package (with higher base salary) rather than an expat package (and lose my wife's package)?

And would it therefore be worth me moving out there with her as my sponsor and using the first few months to job search face-to-face?

Thanks!
a lot of people have to the same clauses, especially if they work in education side but in different places, they will not double up.
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that 'PR' would get you a local package anyway... which is perfectly fine.
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:13 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

my husband is here on an expat salary, but doesn't get the package as I get a better package. his overall salary is similar to the locals, but locals here also get a housing allowance (!)....
locals get a 13th month "Islamic" salary each year, but don't get an end of service year gratuity.
both sides get bonuses.
locals get 5 days less annual leave than expats.
personally, I'd arrive with your wife as your sponsor, and see what you can get for face to face interviews, and see whether what they offer you is "worth getting out of bed for". don't immediately offer up that your wife has a package as then they may think they can get you for super cheap and you are desperate to work at any cost.
interview, and see what they offer.
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, thanks - good to hear someone suggest it, as it sounded like a terrible idea despite everything suggesting it might be a good idea (if that makes sense!)

The hardest part would most probably be convincing my wife that scrounging off her for a few weeks while I get a job will be better in the long run...

The other option is, like you have done, to choose the best package - as while my wife would get furnished accommodation, it might be the tiniest, dingiest flat somewhere miserable compared to what my package could afford, I suppose... (though it'll struggle to be a small and dingy as our current flat in London!)

Last edited by driftingaway; May 3rd 2013 at 2:47 pm.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Hmm, thanks - good to hear someone suggest it, as it sounded like a terrible idea despite everything suggesting it might be a good idea (if that makes sense!)

The hardest part would most probably be convincing my wife that scrounging off her for a few weeks while I get a job will be better in the long run...

The other option is, like you have done, to choose the best package - as while my wife would get furnished accommodation, it might be the tiniest, dingiest flat somewhere miserable compared to what my package could afford, I suppose... (though it'll struggle to be a small and dingy as our current flat in London!)
you'd be surprised
Old May 4th 2013, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

I don't know about UAE but in Qatar another advantage to a local package (I'm on one) is that if you don't like your employer you can leave at anytime to go work for someone else without having to go through the whole NOC letter/not able to work for 2 yrs rigmarole.