Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

anti depressents in dubai & uae

anti depressents in dubai & uae

Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: anti depressents in dubai & uae

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
I do wish people would understand the UAE Legal System.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
I'm aware of that, however you go high enough up the appeals system and your lawyer states the numerous cases where the guy with cannabis in his bloodstream has been let off as it never happened in the UAE, then there won't be a case to answer.

Do they arrest people who have had sex in the UK when not married? Of course not. It's exactly the same thing (but slightly easier to prove).

I do wish people would understand the UAE Legal System.
I stand corrected! The one constant theme I hear about the Middle East, is about how crystal clear all rules, policies and laws are, and that is because of the constant and consistent interpretation and application of the rules and regulations by all players including judges.

On a serious note - I also wish people would understand the UAE Legal System, which is based on Sharia law and oral traditions, and not a series of written UK legal precedents.

Iknownothing, you go try it - go up to an officer at the airport, tell them that you have a banned substance in your system and that you think you're untouchable because of "precedent" and that you have a lawyer who will cite this precedent to a judge. If you're not willing to try it - why not?

Since you are so familiar with the UAE legal system - you also know they have the right to revoke security clearances and deport people without giving a reason why, and neither you nor a court can force them to divulge that reason?

OP - it is "possession" if it is in your bloodstream, and they can arrest and/or deport you for it. Stay well clear of anything on the banned substance list. While I don't think you will have a problem (depending on what your blood test is for and who is administering it) - discontinue use in the Middle East, and do not engage in illegal activity, even if that illegal activity would be innocuous by UK standards.

Iknownothing and myself will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited by carcajou; Mar 26th 2017 at 12:17 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by carcajou
No, never. There shall be a fight to the death. Millhouse to referee. MAT, DXBtoDOH and I to be judges.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
No, never. There shall be a fight to the death. Millhouse to referee. MAT, DXBtoDOH and I to be judges.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, you're wrong....
Old Mar 27th 2017, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of them finding them in your system you'll be fine. Chemical analysis is very expensive and to be able to detect certain chemicals and compounds they need to be actively looking for them. The visa blood test is looking for a few diseases only, not drugs. It is prohibitively expensive and a lot of folk would fail (due to false positives) and the fact that a lot of people use various drugs when out of the country.

The only way they would find out you have certain drugs in your system is if you are detained for doing something wrong and someone thinks its worthwhile to go looking for what your on.

As for people who have been tested and found to have illegal substances in their body, I'm not sure. Back in the day I can remember a few Emirates Hoes being sacked after they were tested and coke was found. They were then deported. I haven't heard of other being tested and allowed to stay but that's not to say that not the case. As someone says precedent doesn't work here and factors such as skin colour, ethnicity, religious belief, education, professional status and wasta all have a bearing on the outcome.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

If the anti-depressant drugs contain items on the banned list, yes, as being in your bloodstream counts as "possession."

However, when they do blood screenings (ie at immigration) they are not looking for that, so I find it unlikely there will be any problems unless you happen to bring in a banned substance and get searched for some reason. At that point there would probably be a blood screening that does look for agents on the banned list.
i get that - but what if its for medical purposes?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

odon123 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone for your help...

I think the the blood test will not be looking for anti depressents, they look for hepetititus or hiv i belive..... its for working purposes and as long as ive got my presecrption and a doctor note i will be ok i belive...it would be cool to have news from people who actually have done the test an who do work in the uae...i imagine all or most of the tests will be the same....what do they test for....kind regards...!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odon123
thanks everyone for your help...

I think the the blood test will not be looking for anti depressents, they look for hepetititus or hiv i belive..... its for working purposes and as long as ive got my presecrption and a doctor note i will be ok i belive...it would be cool to have news from people who actually have done the test an who do work in the uae...i imagine all or most of the tests will be the same....what do they test for....kind regards...!
Pretty much most folk on here live and work in the UAE and have done the test several times.... the test is always the same. I think you are right on HIV and Hepetitus, although I'm sure a google search would confirm for you.

As someone else said, are you sure the UAE is the place for you if you are on anti depressants? The ME can be a weird place for newbies and its very much of a marmite kind of place. May not be the best place for someone on happy pills.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:17 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Anti-depressants are not banned in the UAE, they are restricted but available on prescription.

It is not an issue to be taking them if they are prescribed for you specifically.