Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another UAE QROPS firm has permissions suspended

Another UAE QROPS firm has permissions suspended

Old Mar 21st 2017, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Peter Crawley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another UAE QROPS firm has permissions suspended

There seems to be a lot going on in the overseas pension advice sector. Last week the UK Chancellor introduced a 25% tax charge for many expats that want to transfer a pension.

Now, another firm with UAE offices has had its permission for final salary pension transfers suspended by the FCA pending a review.

Holborn Assets ordered to immediately cease pension transfers

Whichever firm you deal with, be cautious and take more than one opinion before doing anything with your pension back in the UK.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another UAE QROPS firm has permissions suspended

I always thought Holborn was one of the good guys, now if it was the sham company deveer (sic), then I could understand.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 5:24 am
Just Joined

I have been told that the UK FCA is now looking closely at the collusion between non-UK firms and UK firms where these pension trasnfers are arranged. My suspicions are, unless someone from the firm would like to comment on here and correct me, that the issue is not so much to do with the UK office's advice but with the advice given afterwards.

I am sure this firm has not been singled out and there will be more of these reviews.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Very kind of you to join us to give us this information Peter. Which financial services firm might you be representing?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Very kind of you to join us to give us this information Peter. Which financial services firm might you be representing?
I had some similar comment made when I raised concerns about a New Zealand QROPS a few years back. That scheme was later removed by HMRC as it was a liberation scheme and hundreds of expats are facing large losses.

I am actually in the UK and not here to represent any firm, which is why I advise caution. In the past I worked with UK pension consultancies that ran final salary schemes.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 6:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Budget change confusion?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Budget change confusion?
Happy birthday Scamp.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Happy birthday Scamp.
Cheers. I'm feeling old.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

FCA UK have no information at this stage. OH has just spoken to them!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

The OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Crawley
There seems to be a lot going on in the overseas pension advice sector. Last week the UK Chancellor introduced a 25% tax charge for many expats that want to transfer a pension.

Now, another firm with UAE offices has had its permission for final salary pension transfers suspended by the FCA pending a review.

Holborn Assets ordered to immediately cease pension transfers

Whichever firm you deal with, be cautious and take more than one opinion before doing anything with your pension back in the UK.
Isn't this 25% charge going to kill the QROPS market?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The OneEyedMan
Isn't this 25% charge going to kill the QROPS market?
I suspect that the reasoning behind this was to "kill" that part of the market where the individual retires in a different country to where the QROPS is based,though EU rules stopped this for the EU ( For Now ). They had turned out to be pretty contentious products in the end, I used to get cold-called about them a lot a few years ago. I resisted the temptation to move to one.