Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Alcohol License Abu Dhbai Renewal

Alcohol License Abu Dhbai Renewal

Old Jan 21st 2018, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all
Default Alcohol License Abu Dhbai Renewal

Trying to renew my license through the website as I've done many times before but no response in a month.

I've also called and emailed but absolutely no response either.

Anyone having issues or got a license very recently?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 9:04 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol License Abu Dhbai Renewal

Why would you need to get a licence in AD? Can't you just buy from a bottle shop no questions asked? Is it just to be completely squeaky clean? I have to say I haven't had a valid Dubai licence for a few years now even though it means I have to rely on booze runs to RAK/UAQ topped up with full use of the duty free allowance on trips...
Old Jan 21st 2018, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

I just want to be all above board.

It’s usually a 5 minute job but I’m having difficulty this time around.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Following, as I'll need to renew this summer. I agree it is worth getting. I know of several people who had close shaves - in most cases, they were in something like a hotel bar minding their own business, or some event where drinking was allowed, and some idiot started a fight or lost his wallet and called the police. The first thing they checked were the licences of everyone present, and those who had them were able to leave, those who didn't were detained.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

Replying to the original question. If you only applied a month ago it's early days.

We are also in the process of renewing on-line. Submitted documents mid-November! The on-line site tracks path of the renewal but, although the renewal was registered, it never advanced. Called mid-December to query lack of progress. Informed that they “had a backlog” and hadn’t reached our submission date yet but were close. Then nothing. In these last few days, we see that the first stage of renewal – “Document Verification”, has changed to APPROVED, which is the first sign of life. So, over 2 months for the first step. Now only Administration Approval, Security Verification, License Printing and Delivery to go!

Residence visa renews next month so sods law they’ll come back at the end and say they need updated info 😊
Old Jan 28th 2018, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casta
Replying to the original question. If you only applied a month ago it's early days.

We are also in the process of renewing on-line. Submitted documents mid-November! The on-line site tracks path of the renewal but, although the renewal was registered, it never advanced. Called mid-December to query lack of progress. Informed that they “had a backlog” and hadn’t reached our submission date yet but were close. Then nothing. In these last few days, we see that the first stage of renewal – “Document Verification”, has changed to APPROVED, which is the first sign of life. So, over 2 months for the first step. Now only Administration Approval, Security Verification, License Printing and Delivery to go!

Residence visa renews next month so sods law they’ll come back at the end and say they need updated info 😊
As far as I remember your alcohol licence is only valid for the length of your current visa.... so fingers crossed they do ask for the new docs otherwise you may have a licence that lasts only a week or two.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jam25mack
As far as I remember your alcohol licence is only valid for the length of your current visa.... so fingers crossed they do ask for the new docs otherwise you may have a licence that lasts only a week or two.
No, when I last renewed my licence (in AD), it was valid long beyond the end of my then visa.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
No, when I last renewed my licence (in AD), it was valid long beyond the end of my then visa.
Maybe its different in AD then. I'm pretty sure mine in Dubai was.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Abu Dhabi is pretty lax about enforcing the licence at point of sale.

As others have noted, the risk comes outside. Some total moron rear ends you at a red light or on your way out of Spinney's, the officer arrives, sees the alcohol and asks for your licence. Etc.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Update:

They have started processing it. They have done the first 2 stages now and that has taken about a month.

You can only renew a maximum of one month before so I’d suggest starting as early as you can.

The new expiry date is showing on my dashboard and it’s 2 years from now. This is way past the end of my visa which expires this year.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

Finally collected the new one beginning of this week. Visa ends in 10 days, but licence for the standard two years.
There was a big box of new licences arrived in the liquor shop, so maybe the backlog is getting cleared and turnaround times will reduce?