Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it advisable to ride a large scooter on Dubai roads?

Is it advisable to ride a large scooter on Dubai roads?

Old May 11th 2005, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of
Default Is it advisable to ride a large scooter on Dubai roads?

Hi everyone
Many times while driving in the wide open roads of Dubai,I contemplate buying a large 250CC scooter just so I could at least make up for time lost in the traffic.
But one of the things that stop me is the fact of the maniacal drivers on these roads.Just about everyday I get a near miss or some stupid donkey attaches himself to my bumper as if they would run me over,and thats in a normal sized car,I can not imagine,GOD forbid if they wouldnt notice a motorcycle in front of them and run me over.
Tell me people,are my fears justified?

SS
Old May 11th 2005, 12:34 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it advisable to ride a large scooter on Dubai roads?

Originally Posted by shoushou
Hi everyone
Many times while driving in the wide open roads of Dubai,I contemplate buying a large 250CC scooter just so I could at least make up for time lost in the traffic.
But one of the things that stop me is the fact of the maniacal drivers on these roads.Just about everyday I get a near miss or some stupid donkey attaches himself to my bumper as if they would run me over,and thats in a normal sized car,I can not imagine,GOD forbid if they wouldnt notice a motorcycle in front of them and run me over.
Tell me people,are my fears justified?

SS
I have a bike in the UK (see photopost) and would never dream of riding over here.
I have done loads of track days and attended race training and defensive driving courses.

The only way you would get me riding over here is if i had completely lost the will to live.
Old May 11th 2005, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I have a bike in the UK (see photopost) and would never dream of riding over here.
I have done loads of track days and attended race training and defensive driving courses.

The only way you would get me riding over here is if i had completely lost the will to live.

I also had a bike in Beirut,not a track rider myself,but was happy to make a stunt at the first occasion.But after I had a minor brush in front of my wifes house,(she was my girlfriend at that time)I sold that one and got a large scooter,and was defensive eversince.
Seein your photos I thought you also ride over here.
Old May 11th 2005, 12:50 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

presicely SS...... I couldnt agree more with JD. Scooters or anything that doesnt have u surrounded by a metal framework is a death wish in Dubai.
Old May 11th 2005, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Face81
presicely SS...... I couldnt agree more with JD. Scooters or anything that doesnt have u surrounded by a metal framework is a death wish in Dubai.

I know, it is in many ways a bad idea.
I remember,it was about in the end of last year,I just passed the Galadari Tunnel heading to BD,and there was one of those messenger bikes about 2 car lengths behind me,all of a sudden I heard a metallic screeching noise,looked in the mirror,the bike went one way and the poor rider the other,sliding,and a car passed me from my right,I sure bet that that car had definitely something to do with what happenned.
And I also bet,the poor guys bosses deducted the damages from his salary because he got hit with no fault of his.
Old May 11th 2005, 1:00 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bike in the UK

Ditto...
Old May 11th 2005, 1:00 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

I remember,it was about in the end of last year,I just passed the Galadari Tunnel heading to BD,and there was one of those messenger bikes about 2 car lengths behind me,all of a sudden I heard a metallic screeching noise,looked in the mirror,the bike went one way and the poor rider the other,sliding,and a car passed me from my right,I sure bet that that car had definitely something to do with what happenned.
And I also bet,the poor guys bosses deducted the damages from his salary because he got hit with no fault of his.
No Offence SS, but i quite agree with Taxi drivers having to pay for damage, along with the bike messengers.

Even with this hanging over their head they still drive/ride with no consideration or common sense.

If they did not have this in place...imagine what their driving would be like ??!!
Old May 11th 2005, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No Offence SS, but i quite agree with Taxi drivers having to pay for damage, along with the bike messengers.

Even with this hanging over their head they still drive/ride with no consideration or common sense.

If they did not have this in place...imagine what their driving would be like ??!!

So I will definitely chuck the idea then.
I saw a bloke today,riding a large Honda or Yamaha scooter,and got nostalgic immediately.I miss the fun I had back then.I was thinking with my heart and seat of my pants.
Thanks a lot for the sincere advice guys.
Will K each of you after the 24hr ban.
Old May 11th 2005, 1:08 pm
Up in the air

So I will definitely chuck the idea then.
I saw a bloke today,riding a large Honda or Yamaha scooter,and got nostalgic immediately.I miss the fun I had back then.I was thinking with my heart and seat of my pants.
Thanks a lot for the sincere advice guys.
Will K each of you after the 24hr ban.
I would SS.

The sand on the road as well can be lethal. I'd rather ride in the pouring rain than take a corner only to find a pile of sand in the road.
Also, id never ride without full leather and back protector..imagine breaking down at the side of the road with no shade in full leathers !!
Old May 11th 2005, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You should see the motorcycle taxis in China,man those people go out and scare buses and lorries with their stupidity.
But I have to admit,they dont have driving rules and such there as we have here,but they dont have as much accidents as we do in Dubai.
We have all these rules and yet we end up seeing a dozen accidents daily.
Old May 11th 2005, 1:09 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

an everyday scene on our lovely road network.
Old May 11th 2005, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would SS.

The sand on the road as well can be lethal. I'd rather ride in the pouring rain than take a corner only to find a pile of sand in the road.
Also, id never ride without full leather and back protector..imagine breaking down at the side of the road with no shade in full leathers !!

Never considered those points you gave really JD.The horror.
Im telling you,I was Nostalgic and had a lump in my throat when I saw that guy today.But hey,were not 18 anymore.And I know,bikes are no jokes.
Old May 11th 2005, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Face81
an everyday scene on our lovely road network.
Exactly.
In 2 months,in a densely populated city in China(Guangzhou,more than 15Million heads)and with poor roads,no lane discipline and no respect for the driving laws,you would not see more than 5-6 accidents a month,and I cover around 100-120 Kms every day.
Here,with all the rules and every minute you have the potential.
Old May 11th 2005, 2:25 pm
W10

The only way you would get me riding someone over here is if you get me drunk.
*Snigger

Old May 11th 2005, 2:30 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by W10
I often go bareback camel riding while naked, but its hard to hang on from underneath

hmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.