Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice re QROPS in UAE

Advice re QROPS in UAE

Old Feb 7th 2015, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Anchorage50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice re QROPS in UAE

Hi, I've just transferred my UK pension to a qrops scheme managed by <<<snip>>> am now at that crucial stage of deciding on investment portfolio and which financial advisors to go with - anyone had any experience - good or bad on this subject ? I'm considered a low risk investor looking to minimisemy annual charges - also has anyone used a financial advisor in the UK as am worried about the regulation here in the UAE ? Regards and thanks

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 7th 2015 at 2:59 pm. Reason: Removed company name
Old Feb 7th 2015, 11:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QROPS

Hi and welcome to the forum

Congrats on sorting QROPs as I am still dithering away over the subject

If you go to the main index page of the forum and page down, you'll see a section on UK transferred pensions. You might like to have a look in there and maybe start a new thread.

Also you may wish to check out the Middle East section of the forum too if you want to chitchat with others out there in the Gulf.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 11:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anchorage50
Hi, I've just transferred my UK pension to a qrops scheme managed by <<<snip>>> am now at that crucial stage of deciding on investment portfolio and which financial advisors to go with - anyone had any experience - good or bad on this subject ? I'm considered a low risk investor looking to minimisemy annual charges - also has anyone used a financial advisor in the UK as am worried about the regulation here in the UAE ? Regards and thanks
Ive read so much about QROPS and the UK tax authorities attitude towards it that I think the very very last thing I would ever consider is taking on such a thing. Also, is a UK IFA really going to be able to help you with financial regulation in the UAE??
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Anchorage50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to comments so far and I'll certainly look through other posts. It's not so much a UK IFA and UAE regulation, you can appoint any IFA anywhere I believe that's approved by the QROPS fund.<<<snip>>> In theory using an IFA face to face gives you a better service but your right Mitzy that here the regulation is not like the FSA regulation in the UK. Again in theory a UK IFA should give advice that is more stringently regulated than one in the UAE. I'm trying to find out if anyone has done this. regards

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 8th 2015 at 11:14 am. Reason: Company name removed again. Please do not post company name
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this should be shifted to the Pensions section? Perhaps a wise moderator could decide.

I tried to get advice from my UK IFA and he said in an email that, due to latest regulations, he is not allowed to talk with me I suspect though that most UK IFAS would be more inclined to recommend UK pensions since they will get a cut of them. QROPS I doubt....though correct me if I am wrong.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 6:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Maybe this should be shifted to the Pensions section? Perhaps a wise moderator could decide.

I tried to get advice from my UK IFA and he said in an email that, due to latest regulations, he is not allowed to talk with me I suspect though that most UK IFAS would be more inclined to recommend UK pensions since they will get a cut of them. QROPS I doubt....though correct me if I am wrong.
Thats true. A UK IFA is not really allowed to deal with someone living abroad. Mine had to send all documentation to a UK address whilst I was abroad as he was unable to send it overseas.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re QROPS in UAE

Yes agree working with our Uk advisers they would state the same that they could not provide advice on investments in another country as they are not approved or qualified to do so. Same for me in OZ unable to provide any advice on overseas funds. You will need to get advice from a person who is authorised to do so in UAE.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 12:00 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Generally IFAs are only permitted to advise people in the jurisdictions where they have authorisation, so if you are in the UAE you need to speak to someone here.

Despite the very limited regulation and compliance requirements, some of us are ethical and do the right thing by our clients. Big difference between a proper adviser and the salespeople who are sadly all too prevalent.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Big difference between a proper adviser and the salespeople who are sadly all too prevalent.
Yup! New guy at work was very nearly hooked by the company that must not be named. Yesterday they had him sign to say he had a chat with them (no advice offered), tomorrow they wanted him to come & sign up to a plan! We put him straight today.
Meow do you handle Hungarian nationals?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yup! New guy at work was very nearly hooked by the company that must not be named. Yesterday they had him sign to say he had a chat with them (no advice offered), tomorrow they wanted him to come & sign up to a plan! We put him straight today.
her middle name is Granville
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Handle?

I advise people of many nationalities if that's what you mean.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:27 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
her middle name is Granville
Whoosh?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, how many Brits retire in the UAE? If they return home, what is the point of moving UK pensions to a QROPS? It would fall under the UK tax net and the fund would be smaller due to the higher QROPS charges and generally higher fund management fees.

There will be exceptions, but surely the volume of QROPS being sold to UAE expats is way greater than the exceptions dictate. Isn't the place of retirement an important consideration as opposed to only considering current residency?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:24 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Otto The Squid
Out of interest, how many Brits retire in the UAE? If they return home, what is the point of moving UK pensions to a QROPS? It would fall under the UK tax net and the fund would be smaller due to the higher QROPS charges and generally higher fund management fees.

There will be exceptions, but surely the volume of QROPS being sold to UAE expats is way greater than the exceptions dictate. Isn't the place of retirement an important consideration as opposed to only considering current residency?

Very few can retire in the UAE but that doesn't necessarily mean they move back to the UK. It is true that too many are 'sold' and are not suitable but that sadly is due to the lack of regulation and compliance in the region. There are too many unqualified, commission chasing salespeople in the UAE. No question that residency in retirement in the main factor to consider and that's why I don't arrange that many.

Quite a few Brits will not retire in the UK so it could be suitable for them and there are also many non Brits who have worked in the UK for many years and accrued pension benefits who are likely to be better off with the monies outside the UK. The cost difference between SIPPs and QROPS has diminished so it's really about suitability for the individual.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes agree - I only transfer clients funds to OZ when we know or they assure us that they are not returning back to the Uk and are making OZ their home !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.