Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

ADEC, beware! The truth at last.

ADEC, beware! The truth at last.

Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:11 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADEC, beware! The truth at last.

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Of course they do darling, Harrods has a food hall for people who live in Knightsbridge
I mean locals in England...not locals from the UAE (who do identify as locals even when they go overseas according to my Emirati friend to my amusement).

N.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:11 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bunjiman
Fortnum n Masons?
Shhhh...that's for us locals back home.

N.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I mean locals in England...not locals from the UAE (who do identify as locals even when they go overseas according to my Emirati friend to my amusement).

N.
There are actually British people living in Knightsbridge you know darling
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

There may be a dozen or so left these days.

I was amused at mathematist boasting about shopping at Harrods. Buying overpriced goods at a department store owned by foreigners and patronised mostly by foreigners and non-doms is supposed to impress us? If Harrods were to shut down and relocate lock stock and barrel to Dubai or Doha no one in London would bat an eye, except perhaps the older generation who would grow misty eyed as they remembered the Harrods of old before Al Fayed turned it into the vulgar and tacky place it is these days. People like my grandmother used to make a point of going to Harrods whenever they came up to London to buy a little delicacy at the food halls, have lunch and perhaps get a modest piece of clothing. Nowadays no one ever thinks of Harrods. Liberty's, Selfridges (and Harvey Nicks for the urbane) are the great London department stores along with John Lewis. Harrods exists in a separate plane of its own, like Knightsbridge it's in London but it's not really British anymore.

The food hall is still impressive but the British nowadays if they go to one will go to Selfridges or Fortum and Masons.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

I was amused at mathematist boasting about shopping at Harrods. Buying overpriced goods at a department store owned by foreigners and patronised mostly by foreigners and non-doms is supposed to impress us? If Harrods were to shut down and relocate lock stock and barrel to Dubai or Doha no one in London would bat an eye, except perhaps the older generation who would grow misty eyed as they remembered the Harrods of old before Al Fayed turned it into the vulgar and tacky place it is these days. People like my grandmother used to make a point of going to Harrods whenever they came up to London to buy a little delicacy at the food halls, have lunch and perhaps get a modest piece of clothing. Nowadays no one ever thinks of Harrods. Liberty's, Selfridges (and Harvey Nicks for the urbane) are the great London department stores along with John Lewis. Harrods exists in a separate plane of its own, like Knightsbridge it's in London but it's not really British anymore.

The food hall is still impressive but the British nowadays if they go to one will go to Selfridges or Fortum and Masons.
Agree darling..I used to always go to the foodhall to buy Gentleman's Relish, it used to be the only place you could get it from
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:15 pm

You mean actual British people and not just people with passports?

I'm shocked.

N.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

bunjiman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
You mean actual British people and not just people with passports?

I'm shocked.

N.
Without sounding rude.

Please define ,'British'.

All I hear recently is, 'Local'

Confused..
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

I do miss the cafe in Allders. The last store in Croydon went into liquidation this month

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 20th 2012 at 7:20 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I do miss the cafe in Allders. The last store in Croydon went into liquidation this month
FnM.

Is that acceptable?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

FnM.

Is that acceptable?
ps I met AF 2 weeks ago in a sh1t club in Tecom.

Confirmed.

Massive tw4t.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I'm surprised you don't bring up past escapades shopping at Woolies. Walked past a disgruntled crowd as they shut a local branch somewhere.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I'm surprised you don't bring up past escapades shopping at Woolies. Walked past a disgruntled crowd as they shut a local branch somewhere.
American?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:00 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Without sounding rude.

Confused..
Someone born in Britain...........................
Old Jul 21st 2012, 6:17 am

Without sounding rude.

Confused..
If you have internet access you can look up who the British are for yourself. There are clear and distinct ethnic groups who are native to the British Isles (as native as any other people are native, perhaps more so). The English, Irish, Scots and Welsh. They are the British people. We're not talking about Unions, passports and citizenship...

Oh, and we are being a bit tongue in cheek if you hadn't noticed.

N.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

According to your definition, white Americans should rightly so, should not call themselves native too since they cleansed our native Indian friends too. But to be fair though, the yanks did honour them by naming missiles and weapons after then such as Apache, Tomahawk etc...Very considerate of you Uncle Sam

Similar to the Aussies and Aboriginies too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.