Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

ADEC, beware! The truth at last.

ADEC, beware! The truth at last.

Old Jul 16th 2012, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADEC, beware! The truth at last.

Is there a three line summary? I can't be arsed to read it all.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Is there a three line summary? I can't be arsed to read it all.
Expat teachers are great
Local students are awful
No they're not, it's the other way round.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you have stopped at a traffic light next to a yellow school bus that would carry students the OP mentions? A 2 minute stop would definitely remove any doubts as to who is closer to the truth: the OP or mathematist
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:29 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maxima
How many of you have stopped at a traffic light next to a yellow school bus that would carry students the OP mentions? A 2 minute stop would definitely remove any doubts as to who is closer to the truth: the OP or mathematist
Actually, the points Mathematist is raising don't bear any relation to how rowdy the pupils are. Your post is immaterial.

I have to say, Mathematist does actually bring some interesting points to the table, and on this particular occasion its britexpat76 and the other egos on this forum that are coming across as typical twatty expats.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:40 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist

The fact is that they need Emiratis, especially in the boys' schools as role models. The problem is, it's considered a sub standard job hence such a low number of local recruits

Importing LTs en masses has not worked. The fact that British inspectors who've observed all the schools in AD say that the LTs approach have significant flaws speaks volumes too. Far too many of the lessons they've observed for many LTs are well below par, and in OFSTED jargon, unsatisfactory.
He makes great points.................
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:53 am
Just Joined

stirlingsingle will become famous soon enoughstirlingsingle will become famous soon enough

Interesting reading all this.
Firstly, I worked in the middle east for two years, prior to this caper. My girlfriend is from the middle-east, so I have no prejudices against Arabic people.

Secondly, I think what ADEC are trying to do is admirable. They need to have an educated indigenous workforce by the time the oil runs out. With 87% of the population being made up of foreign workers, there does look to be a latent problem looming (to say the least)!

Thirdly, by using an Australian syllabus (meant for native English speakers), an incompatible assessment system and no EFL provision, the students (and, indeed, the teachers)are being set up to fail, from the start. Add to that the resistance and hostility from the schools' administration, towards western teachers, ADEC's unprofessional 'laissez faire' attitude towards its employees ('you're on your own, Jack'), the lack of incentive and motivation on the students' part and the lack of behavioural policies in schools and the reluctance of those at the 'top' to admit that this isn't working, means that, of course it will all end up in tears!

Lastly, the government do not want it to work. Whilst the Sheikh chucks mega-bucks at the lethargic, lazy and uneducated Emiratis, they will continue to lead their super-rich, materialistic, empty lives. Going nowhere, of course. Educate them, and they will want democracy, education (real education, I mean), healthcare etc., etc. Goodbye Mr. Al Nahyan and thank you! Autocrats and their lackeys will resort to anything to keep power and these seemingly benign philanthropists are no different.

They will 'pull the plug' on the whole thing, within the next five years.

In the mean time, the play acting goes on, the desperate Americans keep on comin' and the lie is perpetuated.

I hate all this and cannot wait to complete my contract, get my bonus (if they decide to pay me - you can never trust them and there is no negotiation, what ADEC say is final) and get out of this 'bubble' inside what is no more than a '1984-style' evil empire.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

This discussion was about LTs. I made a suggestion about how to improve the current state of education here. When was I extolling the virtues of the students?

Answer my point, so why are the BRITISH inspectors stating that LTs are generally of a poor standard when they've been observed in the classroom with ample time for preparation.

There are several outstanding LTs who go that extra mile to tackle the challenges they face inside the classroom. If you've taught in a rural village and come out here, you will be roasted but if you've handled a tough inner city school, you'll be fine.

Most of the teachers are from the US/Canada so it could well be there standard of teaching is different from state to state. You haters are making up things about what I allegedly said and may mean.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Agree with that last point stirling
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:45 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maxima
Lets see now, the points raised were:

Most LT's are crap and thats why the students turn out that way.

I simply pointed out that many students are what they are regardless of the LT's quality.
Maxima, you never took part in any riotous school bus trips in your younger days...? I certainly did. That doesn't mean I (or any of the students you refer to) have turned, or will turn out, "crap" or had bad quality teaching...! I see no correlation between either your first and second posts, or behaviour on a homeward bound bus trip and the quality of teaching these kids receive.

On a more general point, some of Mathematist's points are wrong (IMO), and appear quite heavily biased. But they're hardly deserving of being called a "dickhead"...! Or even significant contributors advising he be ignored, or initmating he should be banned. Its a discussion forum, let people have their say.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

stirlingsingle will become famous soon enoughstirlingsingle will become famous soon enough

I've taught in village schools, really nasty inner-city schools and private schools at home and abroad and I've never been treated like shit in any of them, until now. Even the young thugs in Govan and East Kilbride can understand English and can remember to occasionally bring a pen or pencil to school with them. In the WORST school (behaviourally) we had great team-spirit and friendship amongst the teachers. With my ADEC school, we are hated by the 'men in dresses' (just in case there are any Americans reading, that was a joke!) and the students have no respect, whatsoever, for us. As for the parents.....................well, what do you imagine?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

I do feel for the genuine LTs. However, kids will be kids. I remember back in school, if there was a teacher with a very heavy Indian accent, life would be made very difficult for that teacher by most of the pupils. It's the opposite here where...

So a place like here where the level of English is that of 2 year old and they're expected to complete native level work.

Unfortunately, parent power is king here and if an angry parent wants 100% for their marks they will most likely get it, and so the vicious cycle continues...

There are some good places where the managament wants change but they are rare.

Hope things get better for you in next year though but don't take things personally at school. Mafee mushkila as they say...
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

The men in dresses take things VERY personally.

A pal of mine rubbed some Arabic writing from the board, on his first day at school. Of course, he did not know what it said, as he is a Kiwi and cannot read Arabic. After he did that, a posse of about five boys ran out of the class and came back with one of the social workers. My pal was duly marched to the (alleged) principal and was told that he had erased an important phrase of religious significance and that he was in deep trouble, not only for doing that, but because he had made the sign of a cross on his chest with his hand as he did it. No amount of explaining that he didn't know what it said nor denying that he would be so insensitive or stupid to begin a crusade was enough to prevent him receiving a final written warning, which he was forced to sign. Needless to say, the whole document was in Arabic and no-one would translate it for him. He was later transferred to another school after an incident involving the vandalism of an overhead projector by some Grade 7 boys who told the principal that he (the teacher) had vandalised it!!!!

Another pal of mine was being severely tested by another Grade 7 class when he grabbed the first thing to hand (a heavy book) and slammed it down on his desk to get them to shut up. You've guessed...........it was the Holy Qu'ran! He was also reported by the boys and was also rewarded with a final written warning for his efforts. For all he had known, it could have been 'The Beano'!! Who do they believe, though, the boys in dresses or the teacher?

You guessed it?

You cannot win, with these people.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:45 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how you have the patience. I would of throttled every last one of them by now.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

The resentment is also due to the fact that many competent Arab English teachers are being sacked to make space for the LTs, many of whom are sub-par as mentioned. That immediately creates a tense atmosphere before you've even stepped foot in the place.

This does not go down well with the local staff and management who are told Mr X and Y are sacked, one day before the end of term to make space for somebody who is likely to have a difficult time, new to the country, cultural shock etc...

One way of looking at it is if the reverse happened, for instance, all native Brits who teach French being sacked to make way for native French teachers only in the UK...so that I can sympathise with...

I also heard that the LTs will be introduced in Maths and Science too.

Also, it'd be interesting to know where the education gurus here send their kids to. Private or public I wonder...
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

bunjiman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello stirlingsingle.

I was deeply saddenned reading your story.

Unfortunately I am not at all surprised.

There are startling similarities to your story that I have observered on a daily basis working in the lucrative, 'private sector' in the UAE.

IMHO this system is basically a hypocrytical sham run though fear of religion, 'wasta' (wtf?), $$$, oil $$$, and commonplace 'mis-eductation'.

Did I mention fear? Ah yes I did.

Not helped much by the main stream UK media e.g. bikini claden chavs that visit this country (promoted in the Daily Mail etc). They have no idea.

I honestly believe in human kind; 'kind' being the opperative word.

That doesn't work here though, as you have discovered.

Good luck to you; whatever happens, or whatever you decide to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.