Reload this Page >

Accommodation Doha

Accommodation Doha

Old Sep 25th 2014, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Wassle01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accommodation Doha

Hi all,

As per my previous post, we are looking into moving to Doha. My husband would move out first and we would follow him when he gets over his probation, is issued family status and a school place becomes available. So we are hoping to be going out there in time for next school year to start, Sept 2015.

it seems a bit pointless looking at accommodation at the moment, but are their family friendly apartment buildings not just compounds? I ask as we only have one 7 year old son and I am not sure we need a massive 4 bed compound villa.

I have read and taken onboard lots of comments regarding getting into school and then finding a place, presume around Al Wabb etc. My husband would be working at Ras Laffan, so any other area that is convenient for him and us?

How radically are rents going up year on year at the moment? I have budgeted QAR18k a month for rent but not sure what this will get us next year.

Again, I really appreciate any wise inputs!

Thanks

Last edited by Wassle01; Sep 25th 2014 at 9:39 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Re: Accommodation Doha

I am paying 15k a month for a very nice apartment in the westbay area of doha, lots of expat families in the tower and we have a 9 yr old boy and a 3 yr old..we have a nice 2 bed big apartment.
18k qr a month here would get you something very very nice.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Wassle01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
I am paying 15k a month for a very nice apartment in the westbay area of doha, lots of expat families in the tower and we have a 9 yr old boy and a 3 yr old..we have a nice 2 bed big apartment.
Thanks for the feedback! I have reduced our accommodation budget to QAR 16k and thankfully the budget looks a lot healthier now!

Where would you think would be the best areas for apartment living with a 7 year old? Not the Pearl I assume?

Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

What tower are you in?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wassle01
Thanks for the feedback! I have reduced our accommodation budget to QAR 16k and thankfully the budget looks a lot healthier now!

Where would you think would be the best areas for apartment living with a 7 year old? Not the Pearl I assume?

Cheers
You will get a 4 bedroom villa with a pool for 16K on a decent compound or even a 5-7 bedroom stand alone for that price .

Villa's offer much better value for money basically due to cheaper build price and more economically to run if you have split AC units .
They are better apartments coming on line now in Doha than they were 18months ago but it's still poor compared to other GCC destinations.

The basic standard in Qatar is awful , expect to pick holes in everything you see from 10K per month to 25K per month.

It's all relative to what you want . My advice is keep your options open until you arrive . Qatar could be invaded by ISIL by 2015 .
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:47 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You will get a 4 bedroom villa with a pool for 16K on a decent compound or even a 5-7 bedroom stand alone for that price .

Villa's offer much better value for money basically due to cheaper build price and more economically to run if you have split AC units .
They are better apartments coming on line now in Doha than they were 18months ago but it's still poor compared to other GCC destinations.

The basic standard in Qatar is awful , expect to pick holes in everything you see from 10K per month to 25K per month.

It's all relative to what you want . My advice is keep your options open until you arrive . Qatar could be invaded by ISIL by 2015 .
Invaded? You mean they will have rented the office next to Taliban...
Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Invaded? You mean they will have rented the office next to Taliban...
Probably a partitioned villa
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

In the Beverly Hills tower, westbay.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, not the pearl.. I looked at a couple at he pearl but they all came unfurnished and all seemed to start at around the 16k per month mark. It annoyed me as I met a guy who has been living in the pearl for 2 years and he was complaining that his rent had gone up to 12k a month...
The pearl is a nice location and the bonus is that all the towers there have big out door swimming pools and access to a beach but it's a bit out if the way. Not saying that where we ended up us all that happening but at least you can walk to a big shopping centre and there is a taki rank close by. If you don't have kids then the pearl could be quite nice but it's a drive to anywhere from there.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

In the Beverly Hills tower, westbay.
us too lol! its probably one of those things where we have crossed paths a million times!
tamsin x