Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

Old Sep 4th 2014, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Re: Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

Some GPS s have a display of the camera locations...
Old Sep 4th 2014, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You can't adjust cameras to make them record average speed. However, if the cameras have adequate resolution and are aligned properly, and are all connected over a network, then software (and maybe some hardward) can be added into the system to make them capable of recording average speed.
One of the contractors responsible installing these cameras told me that these have always had the capability for monitoring average speed, however the function has not yet been implemented, but likely would at a later date.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
One of the contractors responsible installing these cameras told me that these have always had the capability for monitoring average speed, however the function has not yet been implemented, but likely would at a later date.
yes as i said they will in the future "turn them on" considering the cost they should be able to see you 10 miles up the road
Old Sep 4th 2014, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debowing
Some GPS s have a display of the camera locations...
think they are meant to be illegal if caught with such things turned on.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busybee2
no i mean when you cometunnel the speed goes down.... where does it go from 80 to 60 for no apparent reason? there are rules for the speed of each road, depending how many lanes, how many decelerating/acceleration lanes, how many junctions etc

I'm just a visitor, following my GPS to my destination. Not sure exactly where it is. It's close to Abu Dhabi Mall though
Old Sep 5th 2014, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beakersful
I'm just a visitor, following my GPS to my destination. Not sure exactly where it is. It's close to Abu Dhabi Mall though
if its the main salam st then they have changed the speeds down from 100 to 80 etc and then slower if you go thru the tunnels. if you are driving the roads around ad mall then you will not be going fast enough anyways with all the traffic. all the roads in town are signed 60 always have done they havent changed.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

it's an underpass system, with parts open to the sky, notably where the stupid small electronic speed signs are. The outer circles are too close to the numbers, so you don't really notice when it says 60 instead of 80.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it's an underpass system, with parts open to the sky, notably where the stupid small electronic speed signs are. The outer circles are too close to the numbers, so you don't really notice when it says 60 instead of 80.
sounds like the new salam st tunnels as i said there you need to drive at the signed limits especially when going around the bends because the speed then will drop and you will then get caught with the cameras, up along mina road and salam st, but not really by ad mall as its not the way you would go to get there anymore. and they are pretty clear as the speed limits are mentioned before you hit the tunnel and the electronic sign boards.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

The cameras at the entrances to the Salam Street tunnels have a 20kph allowance over the posted speed limits, just like the ones elsewhere in Abu Dhabi.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GolfGardener
The cameras at the entrances to the Salam Street tunnels have a 20kph allowance over the posted speed limits, just like the ones elsewhere in Abu Dhabi.
well maybe that one because its the same signed limit as the road, ie 60, but you have to be careful at the others up by EP for eg thats a much lower signed limit. they are not all the same. i think the camera that catches people is coming out onto mina road section, as the bend signed limit is 50 i think, so people will be going too quick. but who knows where he is meaning other than the salam st section etc
Old Sep 6th 2014, 11:26 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't aware of the reduced limit in the tunnel to Mina. Have driven 20kph over the posted limit for months now and have never had a ticket.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Wasn't aware of the reduced limit in the tunnel to Mina. Have driven 20kph over the posted limit for months now and have never had a ticket.
Well, if that is indeed the tunnel in question, I've been doing bang on 80kph according to my speedo and GPS, been the only car in the stretch, the speed then apparently drops to 60kph an I've been flashed on two occasions. Was there that 20mph over in force? Dunno. Was the flash for me or for a junction above me? (I mentioned there are parts open to the sky down there)
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fossildog
u r not understanding, the mina tunnel etc is 80 but if you want to go up to mina road etc then there is a bend, yes??? then i think the speed limit drops to 50 or something like that, of course there is another camera then as you come out, which means that you may well be going too fast if you didnt drop the speed for the bend etc yeh????
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, if that is indeed the tunnel in question, I've been doing bang on 80kph according to my speedo and GPS, been the only car in the stretch, the speed then apparently drops to 60kph an I've been flashed on two occasions. Was there that 20mph over in force? Dunno. Was the flash for me or for a junction above me? (I mentioned there are parts open to the sky down there)
there is a tunnel, and there are underpasses on salam st, there are different sections, the main sections that are underpasses its like 80 but when you go into the tunnel section, which is the bit right at the end there are bends at the end of it, and the speed limit reduces. as i said the tunnel for eg at etihad towers is signed lower, there is a camera on the underpass on 32 etc they all will have different speed limits due to the nature of being different roads!
Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:17 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
u r not understanding, the mina tunnel etc is 80 but if you want to go up to mina road etc then there is a bend, yes??? then i think the speed limit drops to 50 or something like that, of course there is another camera then as you come out, which means that you may well be going too fast if you didnt drop the speed for the bend etc yeh????
I am understanding. The tunnel splits, left exits to the Corniche beside the Sheraton, right goes to Mina. There is a sharp bend before you exit the tunnel to Mina and the speed limit drops to 50kph and so I drop my speed to 70kph and like I say, have driven through at 20kph over the posted limit for months now with no fines. There does seem to be a lot of confusion over speed limits in tunnels, would be good of the RTA to come out with a definitive statement as to wether the buffer is in place in tunnels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.