Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

pippanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

No average speed camera's. They are security cameras, that monitor all roads, junctions etc after that Russian was shot the other year in Dubai.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
If the speedlimit on service roads is 70kph, 90kph on main arteries in the city, 120kph on the highway, then exactly what need is there for a vehicle with more than a 1.3l engine?

And why do young Toyota Yaris owners in KSA feel 200kph is the appropriate way to get from city to city?

My greenie friends are 'debating' the looming excessive wattage kettle ban right now whilst too many over here have 5.7l SUV's and secretly thinking of the 6.2l models.
not just the kettles. From tomorrow, hoovers over 1600W are not allowed to be sold in the UK
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Do they do hoovers under that for allergy suffers? People will be throwing their carpets out and mopping down twice a day if they can't get rid of dust and hair.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
not just the kettles. From tomorrow, hoovers over 1600W are not allowed to be sold in the UK
That sucks.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That sucks.
Does if you are Hoover. All of their vacuums are over the limit. All Dyson hoovers are under.

Retailers sell out of vacuum cleaners ahead of EU ban - Telegraph

Of course, Hoover are now saying it doesn't matter, less watts doesn't mean less sucking. In my experience, less force generally equates to less sucking.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippanda
No average speed camera's. They are security cameras, that monitor all roads, junctions etc after that Russian was shot the other year in Dubai.
yes p they are security, but the new grey sticks can be adjusted for average speed.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Well i once had a static ticket off a tunnel one and i don't average 80.
the tunnel ones you need to stick to the signed limits, each tunnel is different because of the safety of the bends etc. the rest is still 20 over
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the tunnels though there's one point the speed drops from 80 to 60kph with little warning and the overhead electronic number signs are completed useless since the ring around the numbers is too small, thereby obscuring clear reading of the numbers. I've been flashed twice in one location because of that.
in auh the tunnels all have different signed speeds, the one by EP i think is 30 some are 40 and are 80 but then change to 50 to go around the bends etc. they are abiding by best practice depending on how many lanes, whether any junctions on the roads, the tightness of the bends etc etc.... there are rules on such things.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

So the grey L shape sticks with what look like projectors on them every 500m along Corniche aren't average speed cameras? (someone told me they were)
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:56 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
So the grey L shape sticks with what look like projectors on them every 500m along Corniche aren't average speed cameras? (someone told me they were)
No.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
No.
Okay good. I shall advise my unreliable informant of his folly.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busybee2
in auh the tunnels all have different signed speeds, the one by EP i think is 30 some are 40 and are 80 but then change to 50 to go around the bends etc. they are abiding by best practice depending on how many lanes, whether any junctions on the roads, the tightness of the bends etc etc.... there are rules on such things.
Bends? The one that has flashed me twice is a straight that changes from an 80 to a 60 for no apparent reason!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the big chunky ones are just cctv as are the ones that go over the gantry, the grey sticks are the speed cameras and they can be adjusted in time for average speed.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bends? The one that has flashed me twice is a straight that changes from an 80 to a 60 for no apparent reason!!!
no i mean when you cometunnel the speed goes down.... where does it go from 80 to 60 for no apparent reason? there are rules for the speed of each road, depending how many lanes, how many decelerating/acceleration lanes, how many junctions etc
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 7:53 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by busybee2
the big chunky ones are just cctv as are the ones that go over the gantry, the grey sticks are the speed cameras and they can be adjusted in time for average speed.
You can't adjust cameras to make them record average speed. However, if the cameras have adequate resolution and are aligned properly, and are all connected over a network, then software (and maybe some hardward) can be added into the system to make them capable of recording average speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.