Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi residence visa and Emirates ID card procedure

Abu Dhabi residence visa and Emirates ID card procedure

Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abu Dhabi residence visa and Emirates ID card procedure

Originally Posted by archie159
Transferable.

Cheers!
Old Oct 20th 2014, 1:46 am
Just Joined

djarrett is an unknown quantity at this point

AD doesn't have Dubai's list of must-look-at/must-go-to sights -- nothing like the creek or the fancy buildings, for instance. But AD essentials do include ...

>> the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque
>> Saadiyat beach (best in the UAE, esp if you're staying at one of the two hotels on it)
>> slow kayaking around the mangroves (it's starting to get cool enough now for this)
>> boat-plus-lunch trips around the islands
>> the dhow yards (esp if you have a camera: the dead dhow bit is very atmospheric)
>> Yas, esp the Marina and the circuit (Ferrari World is ok if you like that sort of thing and/or have kids)
>> sundowners at Level 63 at the top of Jumeirah at Etihad Towers (best hotel in town, says Tripadvisor, and you'll pay for it)
>> activities and events around things like the F1 and the Volvo Ocean Race, which these days come with lots of sideshows + concerts
>> National Day (2 Dec, when the Corniche in particular goes nuts for several hours of silliness and traffic jams -- much more fun than in Dubai, which is a lot more organised and suffers for it)
>> culture -- ok, the Louvre won't be open for a year and the Guggenheim for two, but in the meantime there's quite a lot of sold-out classical music, a bit of occasional jazz, a decent film festival, and a good free art gallery on Saadiyat
>> the local freesheet, Abu Dhabi Week, for whats-on information

As you may be able to deduce from this list, except when there's something on like the F1 or Creamfields Abu Dhabi is a place to live rather than to visit. Despite what the tourist authority would have you believe. There are good schools (pricey and oversubscribed, but good) with more coming; there are good restaurants (esp at both ends of the price scale); there's a calmer, more reflective vibe; and there are fewer expat clubbing / drinking gangs filling the bars. Fewer bars, in fact, and not many that would compare say to Barasti in Dubai -- so there's less appeal for the sort of people that go to Barasti.

No doubt others will have a view on this ...
Old Oct 20th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've summarised all the benefits of AD over Dubai quite nicely!
Old Oct 20th 2014, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Jay Tee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by djarrett
AD doesn't have Dubai's list of must-look-at/must-go-to sights -- nothing like the creek or the fancy buildings, for instance. But AD essentials do include ...

>> Saadiyat beach (best in the UAE, esp if you're staying at one of the two hotels on it)
>> slow kayaking around the mangroves (it's starting to get cool enough now for this)
>> the dhow yards (esp if you have a camera: the dead dhow bit is very atmospheric)
>> Yas, esp the Marina and the circuit (Ferrari World is ok if you like that sort of thing and/or have kids)
>> sundowners at Level 63 at the top of Jumeirah at Etihad Towers (best hotel in town, says Tripadvisor, and you'll pay for it)
>> activities and events around things like the F1 and the Volvo Ocean Race, which these days come with lots of sideshows + concerts
>> National Day (2 Dec, when the Corniche in particular goes nuts for several hours of silliness and traffic jams -- much more fun than in Dubai, which is a lot more organised and suffers for it)
>> culture -- ok, the Louvre won't be open for a year and the Guggenheim for two, but in the meantime there's quite a lot of sold-out classical music, a bit of occasional jazz, a decent film festival, and a good free art gallery on Saadiyat

As you may be able to deduce from this list, except when there's something on like the F1 or Creamfields Abu Dhabi is a place to live rather than to visit. Despite what the tourist authority would have you believe. There are good schools (pricey and oversubscribed, but good) with more coming; there are good restaurants (esp at both ends of the price scale); there's a calmer, more reflective vibe; and there are fewer expat clubbing / drinking gangs filling the bars. Fewer bars, in fact, and not many that would compare say to Barasti in Dubai -- so there's less appeal for the sort of people that go to Barasti.

Yes , thank you for this well thought out posting.

We have been to Dubai at Xmas and the weather was a bit too cool for the beach at least for our liking , we will probably be visitng AD this Xmas and I assume the weather will be similar. So would Ferrari world have anything to offer a 6 yr old ? My kids loved Kidzania in Dubai.

We love the Dubai malls like Deira City Centre, Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates, our favourite haunts and we tend to eat at the fast food outlets mostly but if you can recommend a great value for money steak place ( absolute max £30 per adult excl drinks), that would be great. I liked Texas Roadhouse , looks like AD will be getting one soon.

Mall wise , we went to Marina mall a few yrs back. I gather there is Khalidya mall and Wada mall. Are there any others worth checking out ? Does Yas Island have a good mall ?

Finally I have heard there is an area called the Tourist Club Area ( sounds a bit seedy !) which has been renamed Al Zahiya "colourful" is there anything of interest here ? Thanks again.

Last edited by Jay Tee; Oct 20th 2014 at 7:25 am.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Archie said that "Police checks have been required since earlier this year - don't know if it applies to all jobs, but we all need them." That is news to me. Why should we all need them? Presumably Archie means new arrivals only.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mentalist
Archie said that "Police checks have been required since earlier this year - don't know if it applies to all jobs, but we all need them." That is news to me. Why should we all need them? Presumably Archie means new arrivals only.
Not quite correct.

As far as I am aware, all new arrivals need police clearance certificates from their home country to get an employment visa, but I don't know whether there are any jobs to which this requirement does not apply.

Anyone who is already here, and who needs any form of security clearance (and I only know the rules as they are applied to my line of work, so you might have different requirements) now needs to get a local, UAE, police clearance certificate whenever security clearance needs to be renewed. I don't know if people working in all sectors have this requirement - I know a lot of jobs need security clearance, but I think there are various levels of checking. I did all this earlier this year, and it was a new requirement from when I last renewed my paperwork. Not very difficult, but yet another bit of bureaucracy.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay Tee
Yes , thank you for this well thought out posting.

We have been to Dubai at Xmas and the weather was a bit too cool for the beach at least for our liking , we will probably be visitng AD this Xmas and I assume the weather will be similar. So would Ferrari world have anything to offer a 6 yr old ? My kids loved Kidzania in Dubai.

We love the Dubai malls like Deira City Centre, Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates, our favourite haunts and we tend to eat at the fast food outlets mostly but if you can recommend a great value for money steak place ( absolute max £30 per adult excl drinks), that would be great. I liked Texas Roadhouse , looks like AD will be getting one soon.

Mall wise , we went to Marina mall a few yrs back. I gather there is Khalidya mall and Wada mall. Are there any others worth checking out ? Does Yas Island have a good mall ?

Finally I have heard there is an area called the Tourist Club Area ( sounds a bit seedy !) which has been renamed Al Zahiya "colourful" is there anything of interest here ? Thanks again.

tca or tourist club area has been renamed they are renaming all the streets and a lot of the areas it was named way back after the "tourist club". yas mall hasnt opened yet will do so in time for the f1. most of the malls are all the same!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Jay Tee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by djarrett

Originally Posted by busybee2
tca or tourist club area has been renamed they are renaming all the streets and a lot of the areas it was named way back after the "tourist club". yas mall hasnt opened yet will do so in time for the f1. most of the malls are all the same!!!!
Thank you BusyBee, is Yas an up and coming sort of development ? Does it have an equivalent Dubai Rigga Rd type area ie. Street with coffee shops , restaurants , ice cream parlour etc ?

I gather there is the Du arena on Yas , I know justin timberlake performed there earlier this year.

Any recommendations on a good steak place ?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Yas is a massive island, most of which is still sand.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay Tee
Thank you BusyBee, is Yas an up and coming sort of development ? Does it have an equivalent Dubai Rigga Rd type area ie. Street with coffee shops , restaurants , ice cream parlour etc ?

I gather there is the Du arena on Yas , I know justin timberlake performed there earlier this year.

Any recommendations on a good steak place ?
nope google it and you will see whats there, ikea ferrari world yas water park ace hotels and f1 track and golf course du forum and thats it!