Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi residence visa and Emirates ID card procedure

Abu Dhabi residence visa and Emirates ID card procedure

Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Jay Tee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi residence visa and Emirates ID card procedure

Hi,

I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi. I have yet to accept it as I have been trying to negotiate the salary.

I am interested to know what the procedure and all necessary UK and employer documents that are needed for applying for the Residence visa. Does the residence visa represent a sticker in your passport or is it a separate document ?

And about the Emirates ID card , is this mandatory ?
If so I presume you can only apply for an ID card once you have a residence visa ? Finally is the Emirates ID card biometric and if so what biometric info does it store ? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi residence visa and Emirates ID card procedure

Originally Posted by Jay Tee
Does the residence visa represent a sticker in your passport or is it a separate document ?
Full page sticker in your passport.
And about the Emirates ID card , is this mandatory ? If so I presume you can only apply for an ID card once you have a residence visa ?
Yes and Yes.
Finally is the Emirates ID card biometric and if so what biometric info does it store ?
Fingerprints and palm prints. Allegedly drivers licence etc. will all eventually be on one card (they are trialling the EID for cash withdrawals) inshallah.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mike, in terms of UK documents for the visa application , presumably there is some form of UK police check , if so exactly what type of check does it entail and is it something you have to personally obtain ? And other than presumably an employer sponsorship letter , are there any other employer and personal documents that are needed for visa application ? Thanks again.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mike, in terms of UK documents for the visa application , presumably there is some form of UK police check , if so exactly what type of check does it entail and is it something you have to personally obtain ? And other than presumably an employer sponsorship letter , are there any other employer and personal documents that are needed for visa application ? Thanks again.
Not aware of any police check in UAE and for the rest let the company PRO sort that out, it's what they get paid for.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Mike. I assume they have the means to check the biometric fingerprints against country of origin police databases.

I am thinking of visiting Abu Dhabi for a week over Xmas to check the place out to see if I could see myself living there. I am very well acquainted with Dubai but have only once made a flying visit to Abu Dhabi where all we did was visit Marina mall and a city KFC outlet. Compared to Al Ain , Abu Dhabi is streets ahead to me it seems but at the time we visited AD , I had never visited Al Ain and getting back to Dubai from Abu Dhabi at the time had felt like getting back to civilisation again, and marina mall was not a patch on any mall Dubai has to offer :/

I am not expecting it to be Dubai though, as much as we love visiting the place . But living in AD would mean Dubai is less than a 2 hr drive away at the best of times.

To Abu Dhabi residents in particular, are there any must see / must do things that are worth doing , to help me really take to the place ?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Cheers Mike. I assume they have the means to check the biometric fingerprints against country of origin police databases.
I very much doubt it. You seem a bit worried about being caught out as a crim. Not likely.
I cannot tell you anything much about AD, I'm in Dubay and I detest driving the highway of death.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

If you're applying for a government job they do a security check; I've no idea if this involves linking back to the police records of your country of origin.

It won't hurt to make sure you have: Degree Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate (you, wife and children), International Driving Permit (for the period leading up to getting your residency visa).
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by csdf
If you're applying for a government job they do a security check; I've no idea if this involves linking back to the police records of your country of origin.
I'm in da gubbmint and they never checked with UK.
Originally Posted by csdf
International Driving Permit (for the period leading up to getting your residency visa).
UK driving licence is OK but (and I could be wrong) I don't think you can drive until you get your visa. BB2 or someone in the know can dive in on this.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikewot
Not aware of any police check in UAE and for the rest let the company PRO sort that out, it's what they get paid for.
Police checks have been required since earlier this year - don't know if it applies to all jobs, but we all need them.

Re PRO... yes, maybe. Some people still seem to work in old-fashioned firms where the PRO does everything for you, and provides you with helpful advice. I personally know no-one who has a PRO like that - my firm, and all the others I know of, the PRO will do no more than give you a badly-written list of requirements, which will probably be full of errors and confusions, and then you'll have to ask all sorts of questions to sort it out.

Anyway, for police clearance, below are some notes one of the Brits in my HR dept produced. Finally, at the moment we are being told that the police certificates need to be attested due to their lack of an original stamp.

In the UK individuals can only obtain a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. It was previously known as a CRB checks. Some candidates may already have one.

They are computer generated in the UK and, as such, they do are not stamped or signed.

To confuse things further, individuals applying for a basic disclosure have to apply through Disclosure Scotland and they don’t have to be from Scotland to do this:

Basic Disclosure Online

They can only apply on line if they have an address in the UK. If they have an address outside of the UK they have to apply using a paper copy!! Here is the link to request one:

Request forms - Disclosure Scotland

You can look into this further through the Disclosure Barring Service on the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barrin...check/overview
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I don't think you can drive until you get your visa. BB2 or someone in the know can dive in on this.
AFAIK, you can drive on a UK licence until your visa is in your passport. At that point, you need a UAE licence - which, if you are prepared, can be done in a few hours.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
AFAIK, you can drive on a UK licence until your visa is in your passport. At that point, you need a UAE licence - which, if you are prepared, can be done in a few hours.
have always been advised that you cannot drive on your UK licence as soon as your visa process is started.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes you can use a foreign licence to drive a rental car, but once you have your visa stamped in passport you must then stop using foreign licence and go to traffic and get a uae driving licence.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in da gubbmint and they never checked with UK.UK driving licence is OK but (and I could be wrong) I don't think you can drive until you get your visa. BB2 or someone in the know can dive in on this.
most rental agencies allow you to use foreign licence etc, but as i said above once you have your residence visa stamped in passport then you must obtain a uae driving licence.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Is the UK license transferable like it is in Australia or do you have to do a test?
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Is the UK license transferable like it is in Australia or do you have to do a test?
Transferable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.