Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

48 h/week, is it worth it

48 h/week, is it worth it

Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 48 h/week, is it worth it

Originally Posted by iggle
When I am working 60 plus hours a week the quality of work drops. You need a break from work, you need to relax, you need to refresh yourself.

My life atm is, 6am wake, work, get home at 7pm, gym, cook dinner then sleep, 6 days a week. Is that really a life?

*I might be able to squeeze in a cheeky spanking of the monkey to Gina Gerson and a Battlefield 4 game, but thats about it.
Yes mate that's life , i've done it for 30 years . You ask yourself why sometimes but then i realise it's what i do and everything that i have is down to that.

There's no free lunch in this game anymore
Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's relative to the industry you're in as well and the demographic you're working with . Certain people will sit at desks 12 hrs per day 7 days per week and produce nowt of worth .

I'm against that , what you produce is key . I try and give people the scope to do their job and leave it to them on how they get it done within reason of course.

What i do require though is for guys to react when needed whether that's at Eid or Wednesday morning at 1am.
I have days when I feel I produce no work of substance. Then the next day (yesterday actually) I get so much done by 11am that I feel I deserve to go home.

The only thing people have to remember is that if you don't get a reply to an email or someone can't answer a question until the next morning and if you've done all you can to get a resolution but are hitting brick walls....when you wake up, the world will have kept on spinning.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My life atm is, 6am wake, work, get home at 7pm, gym, cook dinner then sleep, 6 days a week. Is that really a life?

At least you get a lie in and getting home for 7pm would be quite a luxury for most London City jobs too. But the six days a week not the norm.

I recently decided it isn't worth it anymore. Gave up my city career and will spend the second half of my working life at a slower pace. I took a job in Cambridge instead and am home for 5pm every day without fail. It is for less than half of what I would earn in London though.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
At least you get a lie in and getting home for 7pm would be quite a luxury for most London City jobs too. But the six days a week not the norm.

I recently decided it isn't worth it anymore. Gave up my city career and will spend the second half of my working life at a slower pace. I took a job in Cambridge instead and am home for 5pm every day without fail. It is for less than half of what I would earn in London though.
I want enough cash to buy a bar on a beach. That's the ultimate ****ing chill out.

If I lose the Missus between now and then I'll take my mate and it will be Cocktail - without the moving to NYC bit. Bliss.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:16 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Never worked in London, but that surprises me, 7pm a Luxury?? In UK I would always leave at 5:30pm, and be home by 6:30pm, only on a rate occasion i wouldn't do this.

Originally Posted by Scamp
If I lose the Missus between now and then
sack her off now
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

City, mate, City.

Working till seven or even later is normal for financial industry jobs in the City (or NY or HK). That's partly why they're so well paid.

Never worked in London, but that surprises me, 7pm a Luxury?? In UK I would always leave at 5:30pm, and be home by 6:30pm, only on a rate occasion i wouldn't do this.

sack her off now
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

sack her off now
Yes definitely a luxury to be home by 7pm. I have London financial services / accountancy background. It would be very unusual to be able to leave by 5.30pm.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes definitely a luxury to be home by 7pm. I have London financial services / accountancy background. It would be very unusual to be able to leave by 5.30pm.
If you are in M&A or advisory, you can expect to be at the desk until 10pm every day. If you are busy make that 1am. Been there, done that. Never again.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I want enough cash to buy a bar on a beach. That's the ultimate ****ing chill out.

If I lose the Missus between now and then I'll take my mate and it will be Cocktail - without the moving to NYC bit. Bliss.
My end game is a southern European Island. Filling in tax returns for british expats to keep me in beer money.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
My end game is a southern European Island. Filling in tax returns for british expats to keep me in beer money.
If you're interested in Crete, where tax returns are laughed at then the old man is selling his villa...
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you're interested in Crete, where tax returns are laughed at then the old man is selling his villa...
I'm currently thinking Canary Islands - more consistent weather.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:57 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, you don't think Britain will follow Shira Law any time soon? At least it'll be tax freeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:57 am
Account Closed

I'm currently thinking Canary Islands - more consistent weather.
That's where his winter apartment is and he says the weather is amazing non-stop. But not for sale.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's where his winter apartment is and he says the weather is amazing non-stop. But not for sale.
He's a good lad.

Winter is 18C, Summer 25C. What's not to love.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:49 am
Account Closed

He's a good lad.

Winter is 18C, Summer 25C. What's not to love.
Very true. I've never been to his place there but been to the Islands before. They're cool. Plus, you know there's enough fat rosey-nosed Brits and Irish there that you'll get an excellent fry up (if you ever come back to eating man foods).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.