Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

38K AED Abu Dhabi salary | Thoughts ?

38K AED Abu Dhabi salary | Thoughts ?

Old Apr 9th 2017, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

chileflake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 38K AED Abu Dhabi salary | Thoughts ?

Hi , ChiLeFlake here!

Currently living in Dublin (I'm not Brit). Married but no kids yet... I've been doing lots of research lately and awaiting my background check to be completed to have a date too.

----------
Abu Dhabi (office @AlDar HQ)

38K AED/month (Inclusive of: basic 50%, housing 30%, transport allowance 20%). I can spend it how I wish.

Health Insurance: medical plan for self, spouse and up to three children. Daman Enhanced Silver. Includes Dental & Optical.

Annual Holiday Entitlement: 30 calendar days per annum + one return flight for each family member.
Annual Bonus: Up to three times basic salary (hopefully!)
Group Life Insurance: Life, personal accident and disability insurance for self of 3 times basic annual salary.
Education Allowance: 20K AED per child (up to 3 children above the age of 3...)

Working Hours: 8 to 16 hrs
----------
Does it look good enough? with possible savings of around 10-15K AED per month ? we don't go to pubs or restaurants, mostly healthy cooking at home... but will require some IKEA trips at the beginning :] (my wife made me write this line

I'm looking for updated recommendations (I already almost read all the forum posts by now) for a 1 or 2-bed apartment between 100k-135k AED/month ? I'm still thinking if living in the Corniche area is a good idea (due to the office being near the Airport). But my wife will be able to just go out and walk to all those nice places, instead of taking a taxi or driving (hopefully we'll rent/buy a car after a few months) and avoid feeling isolated.

So these are some options: Corniche, WTC, Al Raha Beach area, Al Reem Island, Yas Island, etc .. Saraya (corniche right side) looks like a good option as well, since I could drive through Saadiyat, instead of going through the city (is that a good idea to avoid the morning traffic?)

Also, I've seen that the rents posted in (e.g. propertyfinder) can be negotiable (10% less or how much in average ?).

Thanks!,

ChiLeFLaKe
Old Apr 9th 2017, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 38K AED Abu Dhabi salary | Thoughts ?

is Mrs ChiLeFLaKe going to getajob?
Old Apr 9th 2017, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

wow, forum famous Millhouse responded to me!, Thanks...

Hopefully yes, Mrs ChiLeFLaKe promised to do her best to get a job once there.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chileflake
wow, forum famous Millhouse responded to me!, Thanks...

Hopefully yes, Mrs ChiLeFLaKe promised to do her best to get a job once there.
Then I reckon you're going to be just fine!

Two people will easily live inside a budget of 20-25k, giving you your savings. When Mrs ChileFlake gets a job, you're in for a windfall. She will need a job to preserve her sanity - and don't let her fall into the usual expat trap of "not accepting less than 15k, it's not worth it" etc. Even a 5k job is some serious additional savings.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

ok Thx, that's a big relief!, thanks for the advice on the job.

And what about the Location? Corniche, Al Reem or Al Raha Beach.. (or Yas Island)?
Thoughts? .. Or is this not really an issue due to not being a big city yet? (e.g. compared to London)

I've been reading that Al Raha Beach area is not that isolated now, but not completely sure about it. Anyway, company will pay our 1st month there, so we'll have some time to get around and feel the city, and maybe rent 2 or 3 months if still undecided .

ChiLe FlaKe
Old Apr 10th 2017, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

Married but no kids yet... I've been doing lots of research lately and awaiting my background check to be completed to have a date too.

Always good to have a background check before you have kids :-)
Old Apr 10th 2017, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok Thx, that's a big relief!, thanks for the advice on the job.

And what about the Location? Corniche, Al Reem or Al Raha Beach.. (or Yas Island)?
Thoughts? .. Or is this not really an issue due to not being a big city yet? (e.g. compared to London)

I've been reading that Al Raha Beach area is not that isolated now, but not completely sure about it. Anyway, company will pay our 1st month there, so we'll have some time to get around and feel the city, and maybe rent 2 or 3 months if still undecided .

ChiLe FlaKe
I lived on the Corniche years ago - for me it was and still is the best area. Others will prefer the newer areas for sure.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
She will need a job to preserve her sanity - and don't let her fall into the usual expat trap of "not accepting less than 15k, it's not worth it" etc. Even a 5k job is some serious additional savings.
That only works when you don't have kids I think. My Mrs is looking to go back to work right now, and even with a flexitime agreement so she can collect kids, the cost of having someone looking after the kids at home over the various school holidays is mental. 5k definitely won't cut it. Breakpoint I think would actually be the 15k.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Overall package looks good and sufficient for a couple with no kids who don't go all billy big balls to keep up with the Jones.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 6:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Solid package, you'll be fine.

What does your Mrs do?
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for the answers.

Mrs ChiLeFlaKe used to be an IT service delivery manager for several years at ibm... she's very good at managing people and stuff. Is this a good area where you think she could find something in UAE ?

Thx!
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs ChiLeFlaKe used to be an IT service delivery manager for several years at ibm... she's very good at managing people and stuff. Is this a good area where you think she could find something in UAE ?

Thx!
IT is always tricky here as those roles are usually filled by sub con folk. I'm sure she could find something easily enough though.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

It looks fine. As well - I second what millhouse said about the job for your wife being necessary for sanity purposes.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thx!
IBM are big out here....try them?
Decent IT roles will still have Expats in them, we have one on a major programme.

I don't know anything about it but a few on here might.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I lived on the Corniche years ago - for me it was and still is the best area. Others will prefer the newer areas for sure.
Na, I concur, Corniche is still the best, I lived there 2 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.