Reload this Page >

22 year old male moving to Dubai

22 year old male moving to Dubai

Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Campera1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 22 year old male moving to Dubai

Hi guys,

Im very new to this, but I graduate from university in a month and I will be moving to Dubai to start a new Job in August. I have no idea what to expect so was wondering if you guys could let me know what there is to do over there. Ive never been over there so I am wondering what sort of things are there to do? and how easy is it to meet people and make friends?
Also being single, whats it like meeting ladies out there (around my age).
I have obviously heard and seen about cars out there and I am wondering what chances/choices I have of getting a car.
I am very excited about this but also very nervous at the same time and I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Thanks 22 year old Male
Old Jun 25th 2014, 4:39 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 22 year old male moving to Dubai

Hello 22 year old male

What's the job? Hope the remuneration is sufficient as rents here are very high.

Have a read through this forum and on line generally as the is heaps of info out there. Curious as to what you mean when you say you've heard about cars out here. We all have them and you can get one if you have a full UK license and can afford one. And I very much doubt you'll be able to afford a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Most people don't drive them, just standard SUVs or a tin box for the poorer types.

You can meet women here as you can everywhere, but you do need to be a little careful as sex outside of marriage is illegal. Loads of young people in Dubai. A few nice ones and many, many dickheads.

Your experience will mostly depend on what you'll be doing, who you work for and what you earn. This is not a place to live on the breadline.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

The Job title is a 'Retail development manager'. I have been told a Villa is included and the pay is around 6-10 for the first year whilst i do the in-depth trainning and it will rise a fair amount after this is completed.

And i have heard about all the fast cars out their but was wondering as you said about the SUVs etc as I know that anything else is stupid to think about.

Thank you for your reply
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:18 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campera1992
The Job title is a 'Retail development manager'. I have been told a Villa is included and the pay is around 6-10 for the first year whilst i do the in-depth trainning and it will rise a fair amount after this is completed.

And i have heard about all the fast cars out their but was wondering as you said about the SUVs etc as I know that anything else is stupid to think about.

Thank you for your reply
Seems an odd package. Villa would be 180k+ a year, whilst your wage is 72k a year minimum. On that I would forget about fast cars and concentrate on being able to feed yourself each month and being able to afford the Metro/Taxi to work each day. It is a very low wage and even with accommodation provided you will struggle.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 4:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Shared villa?
Or apartment somewhere?
Where is the office?
Where would accommodation be?
6-10,000 AED per month?
What about flight, medical, car?
Old Jun 26th 2014, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

The Job title is a 'Retail development manager'. I have been told a Villa is included and the pay is around 6-10 for the first year whilst i do the in-depth trainning and it will rise a fair amount after this is completed...
Hope it's not with Al Shaya. As for the villa, expect to be sharing with 5-6 Lebanese men. Good luck.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 6:58 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Hope it's not with Al Shaya. As for the villa, expect to be sharing with 5-6 Lebanese men. Good luck.
You'll never be short of hair gel

Old Jun 26th 2014, 7:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply

A villa? I doubt that. The pay is very low indeed even if housing is included and you can forget getting a car. Get everything in writing, but you should think twice as you are really going to struggle.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Waqar001 is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm... the job seems a little fishy to me...
Old Jul 1st 2014, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waqar001
hmm... the job seems a little fishy to me...
Did you join just to point out the obvious?
Old Jul 1st 2014, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
A villa? I doubt that. The pay is very low indeed even if housing is included and you can forget getting a car. Get everything in writing, but you should think twice as you are really going to struggle.
I agree think a bit more research needs to be done on this one.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

TheChangeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder what happened of this guy !
Old Aug 17th 2014, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the comments people.
As some of you have said, I now have more Information about the job.
I arrived last wednesday, and start on Tuesday. I will be trained on the job (hence why the wage is so low) for about 9 months (2 of these being at home with my parents in Abu Dhabi who are new out here also) shadowing on the Yas mall. After this i will move up to dubai where i will be living in a company villa (I'm told its empty the time I'm there, but we shall see). When i have enough knowledge to be sent out my wage will increase quite dramatically. I think it feels a lot better knowing more about it.
Now just to crack on and get going.