Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

22 year old female expat desperate to meet new people.!

22 year old female expat desperate to meet new people.!

Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:24 am
Just Joined

AmyLin12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 22 year old female expat desperate to meet new people.!

I arrived in Doha a week ago, and I am really struggling to meet new people to help me to explore the city. I know that there is a large amount of westerners living here but so far I can't find them!
If anyone here lives or works in Doha and is in their twenties, please make yourself known! X
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 22 year old female expat desperate to meet new people.!

try joining one of the sports clubs there. thats always a good start.
I know Doha Hockey Club have a decent social side
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Fab, will look into it. Any other ideas? X
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

meetup.com?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Have already signed up...don't appear to be having much luck!
Old Sep 1st 2014, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyLin12
Have already signed up...don't appear to be having much luck!
Well, I guess the next act of desperation is tinder.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Lordy Lordy. I had no idea that was even an option.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lordy Lordy. I had no idea that was even an option.
Come to the dark side, Luke.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

In all seriousness, I'm genuinely at a loss and it's making me pretty miserable.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In all seriousness, I'm genuinely at a loss and it's making me pretty miserable.
Have you looked at premieronline.com maybe join a running club or something?
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know Doha, but I would say that you have only been there a week... have a little patience, and follow up the suggestions already made. It always takes a while to meet new people when you move to a strange city. What were your interests before you moved across (sport, art, reading, films, dancing etc)? Try searching facebook for Doha groups with the same interest (and just google) - for instance, here in UAE there are loads of art pages on FB, and they are always promoting gallery openings, exhibitions etc - all good events to meet like-minded people. In UAE there are all sorts of women's networks (eg American Womens Network [open to all nationalities...] etc) - often aimed at bored wives, but nevertheless they arrange all sorts of events which might be good opportunities to start meeting people. Work... is there no-one your age at work who could take you under his/her wing? I know someone who signed up for Arabic lessons for the same reason - to meet other new arrivals, more than any overwhelming desire to learn the language.

It's a miserable time of the year, but (if it's like Abu Dhabi) when the temperature starts dropping you'll find more activities start taking place. Have a bit of patience!
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmm so tinder... hahahaha
Actually Ive found that women have more social groups and activities. So it should be easier for you.
Im not an extremely social guy, so I was OK with not having too many ppl to socialize with. But its getting tired.
I really hope temperature goes down, I want to go kayaking and stuff
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

C'mon guys....somebody take her out on the town or do I have to fly in from Saudi..)
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:07 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Meet up is quite lame, depending on what you like - The main organiser has left Doha now. Plenty of places on a Thursday night to get involved and meet people - Do you not work with anyone in a similar situation?
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

A week isn't too long here, a little patience will help. Not likely you will bump into people on the street you can immediately connect with but then I guess you wouldn't expect that either. I think a little research will go a long way, others have made some good suggestions and I'm sure you can dig up plenty more. Most important is not to make it a big thing, chill and let it come to you. I'm in a whole different demographic to you but I was nearly 6 months here before I started to explore socially, even now I don't do a great deal but there certainly are things to do in Doha. Do your research and I'm sure you'll have little enough time for work before long. GL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.