Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

***EU driving licence while you live in Dubai?

Old Mar 17th 2017, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

super1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ***EU driving licence while you live in Dubai?

hello

I am planning to work and live in Dubai for 18 months, can someone explain me if I can drive there with an EU driving license for private purposes? any advices

thanks
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: ***EU driving licence while you live in Dubai?

May I ask what the asterisks are for please?
Old Mar 18th 2017, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you are on a tourist visa you can drive a hire car with your EU licence. No problems whatsoever. Be aware that you cannot drive a private car on a tourist visa / EU licence.

Once you get a residency visa you must get a UAE driver's licence. But it is not a problem. No testing or lessons required. Just some paperwork, eye examination receipt and a bit of money. Can be done in a day easily.
Old May 31st 2017, 11:41 am
Banned

paulstream is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
As long as you are on a tourist visa you can drive a hire car with your EU licence. No problems whatsoever. Be aware that you cannot drive a private car on a tourist visa / EU licence.

Once you get a residency visa you must get a UAE driver's licence. But it is not a problem. No testing or lessons required. Just some paperwork, eye examination receipt and a bit of money. Can be done in a day easily.
can you please drop me a pm what do you mean recept a bit of money can be done/.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said if you are a resident you have to change to a UAE licence. This is very easy and full instructions are on the RTA website.

Contrary to what's been posted you can drive a private car if your are on a tourist visa providing you hold a full licence for one of the listed countries and carry your licence and passport with visa. I have recently clarified this with the RTA and have the answer in writing as my son visits regularly and drives my car. It's also subject to your insurer covering. My insurer (AXA) cover anyone as long as they fit the RTA rules.